Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 Standard Range Plus Service Issues: a somewhat reasonable rant. Please read to the end.

This is long, here is a summary: I just barely missed out on free supercharging miles, I missed out on white (which is a paint I wanted but couldn’t muster up my wallet for. This is a stupid remark on my behalf, but I have been fender bendered twice already and my wife is blaming me for having a black car. She claims black cars are harder to see. I’m more annoyed about how often I have to wash the car.) Additionally, my car has had a few annoying issues (radio, interior trim, and turn signal). They also broke my charge port before a hurricane. (I understand mistakes happen)

Here is the full story:

Bought it when Tesla was firing everyone, so no referral program, autopilot was a 3k option (not a 2k included feature), and basic black was the free color that I went with. (I wish I went with white because rain spots are less prevalent)

I have so many issues. Here is a list of complaints that you don’t have to look at. I’m just sharing my experience.

1) Interior trim piece was dangling from the ceiling when I got it (fixed 2 months later)

2) Left turn signal had an issue where a single click caused the car to signal until canceled. One click was supposed to click three times, two clicks was supposed to click until canceled or a wide turn was detected. The right signal was fine. (Fixed 2 months later, same service)

3) Oh boy, where do I start with this one. When we took the car in for service, we had an issue with the interior trim piece (simple fix using adhesive), the left turn signal, and the radio was not working (after numerous hard and soft re-boots). Tesla fixed the interior trim piece, and the turn signal as I said; the radio, however, was failed to be replaced. I understand mistakes have been made, but Tesla told me on call that they had already ordered the parts and that it was going to be a simple fix. Now after I received my car back, they had told me to wait another two weeks. This was three weeks ago, no message. An organizational error, mistakes happen, but this is getting ridiculous. I still have to return to fix the radio.

4) The worst of all: Tesla basically broke my car before a hurricane. We came in for the trim, radio, and turn signal. The radio was not fixed and the charge port door was replaced?! The service summary stated that the engineers had replaced the charge port inner latch. Now when I try to charge the car, it produced a repetitive clicking sound 8 times over, then stops trying to latch on and starts charging. The charge speed was reduced, from 32 miles per hour to 15 miles per hour. (240V 15/36 amps I believe) The Tesla employee on the phone told me it was a standard procedure to replace the latch on the model 3s. I live in Florida and at the time of writing this message, hurricane Dorian is gradually making its way to the east coast (where I live). My house will probably lose power and the only source of fuel I have are the super chargers or other public charging stations. I’m afraid that the car will charge at a slow pace, or not even take the high levels of energy that the super chargers offer. Public chargers are slower, but I would hate to have to take twice as long in the potential line for electricity (during the hurricane). The Model 3 is our only car and we have a family of one boy and girl in separate schools. We consume around 40 miles per day. They literally broke the charging function of our car right before a major storm.

DONT GET ME WRONG. I am an avid fan of Tesla and what they do. I was just an unlucky buyer who financed the car at the wrong time and had been a serviced by an engineer who had made a few mistakes. Tesla stock is a major slice of my assets chart. I day-trade other stocks, but TSLA is the only one I hold purely because I believe in their positive goals. However, I do not hold Tesla up over other car companies in an unfair advantage. I had been spoiled by established car companies and their excellent service. Tesla is working on their service and I believe they exceptionally well for being a new-ish company. The Model 3 is a great car and I only talked about the negative things in this post. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that Tesla acknowledges a few issues in their marketing strategy and car service. I wish everyone who is at risk of Dorian to be safe and those hit directly by the storm to recover as soon as possible.

Thank you for reading my rant.

-Jack

First of all, I hope you and your family stay safe in the face of the oncoming hurricane. Please read this story which clarifies how to properly interpret hurricane track forecasts; they don’t mean what most people think they mean. Opinion | Those Hurricane Maps Don’t Mean What You Think They Mean
Bought it when Tesla was firing everyone
“Everyone”? And yet you could take your car in for service and there were Tesla employees available to communicate with. Amazing.

So when you start out your post with a gross exaggeration, and then proceed to “rant” (your word) about “a few annoying service issues” (your words), I would say your strategy of going online and complaining to people who cannot possible solve your problems is a poor strategy.

I suggest that you focus on preparing for the coming hurricane instead of posting on TMC. Your car can still charge, so charge it to 100% now. I hope you and your family stay safe. And you can thank Tesla for enabling free Supercharging in you part of the country, see
Tesla helps owners in hurricane Dorian's path with more range/Powerwall as gas stations run out of fuel - Electrek

Last edited:
Thank your kind words. Tesla was closing stores and letting go of jobs, the “everyone” was obviously an exaggeration, the point was pertaining to how I bought the car at a stressful time for the company. I should have mentioned that this was a modified copy and paste from a YouTube comment I had made on a review of how Tesla service has changed over 2019. I was interested in knowing how other owner’s service experiences were. Reading back, I notice how I am complaining hopelessly. Your citations on only my negative comments helped me see that. Preparations have been made, thank you very much; however, I am concerned that I cannot supercharge properly due to the engineer hired by Tesla. Whose fault is it? NOT Tesla, and blame should not be something to pester about on a forum. A mistake from a single engineer did not turn me against the company. I worry about my time and others around me and NOT the $10 from a supercharger. Yes I can and should thank the company: Thank you Tesla, but I am more concerned about the charging capability and time. I don’t want to show up at a public charging station just to get 15 miles per hour and slow myself along with everyone else down. Please take into consideration the level of stress I was in, I had just received news from Tesla that it would take another three weeks to fix something that should not have been an issue in the first place. The charge port issue has been two weeks already. The mistake happened, I was fine with it. But with the potential wait for a month to fix something that I never asked to be “fixed” is a little inconvenient. Don’t you think ecarfan?

Here are some questions that supports my objective: knowledge that I want to obtain on the forums.

- How was your service experience.
- Please describe the charging situation during a power outage.

How was your service experience.
My Tesla service experiences over my past 6 years of ownership have been generally positive, though not perfect.

Please describe the charging situation during a power outage.
No power, no charging, for any EV owner. No power, no gasoline, since gas pumps require electricity.

Jack, I hope you can evacuate to a safer area. Again, charge your Model 3 to 100% ASAP and you should have enough range to get out of danger.

I had the same turn signal issue as OP. I got it fixed (stalk replaced) by mobile service. The replacement turn signal stalk worked correctly for about 24 hours before it started doing the same thing in regard to not cancelling after half push. My car was produced in July 2019 (3 Performance stealth). I looked up this issue and it has been around for over a year. I can't believe they are still fitting defective turn signals. I haven't had any other problems, though.

Model 3 Standard Range Plus Service Issues: a somewhat reasonable rant. Please read to the end.

This is long, here is a summary: I just barely missed out on free supercharging miles, I missed out on white (which is a paint I wanted but couldn’t muster up my wallet for. This is a stupid remark on my behalf, but I have been fender bendered twice already and my wife is blaming me for having a black car. She claims black cars are harder to see. I’m more annoyed about how often I have to wash the car.) Additionally, my car has had a few annoying issues (radio, interior trim, and turn signal). They also broke my charge port before a hurricane. (I understand mistakes happen)

Here is the full story:

Bought it when Tesla was firing everyone, so no referral program, autopilot was a 3k option (not a 2k included feature), and basic black was the free color that I went with. (I wish I went with white because rain spots are less prevalent)

I have so many issues. Here is a list of complaints that you don’t have to look at. I’m just sharing my experience.

1) Interior trim piece was dangling from the ceiling when I got it (fixed 2 months later)

2) Left turn signal had an issue where a single click caused the car to signal until canceled. One click was supposed to click three times, two clicks was supposed to click until canceled or a wide turn was detected. The right signal was fine. (Fixed 2 months later, same service)

3) Oh boy, where do I start with this one. When we took the car in for service, we had an issue with the interior trim piece (simple fix using adhesive), the left turn signal, and the radio was not working (after numerous hard and soft re-boots). Tesla fixed the interior trim piece, and the turn signal as I said; the radio, however, was failed to be replaced. I understand mistakes have been made, but Tesla told me on call that they had already ordered the parts and that it was going to be a simple fix. Now after I received my car back, they had told me to wait another two weeks. This was three weeks ago, no message. An organizational error, mistakes happen, but this is getting ridiculous. I still have to return to fix the radio.

4) The worst of all: Tesla basically broke my car before a hurricane. We came in for the trim, radio, and turn signal. The radio was not fixed and the charge port door was replaced?! The service summary stated that the engineers had replaced the charge port inner latch. Now when I try to charge the car, it produced a repetitive clicking sound 8 times over, then stops trying to latch on and starts charging. The charge speed was reduced, from 32 miles per hour to 15 miles per hour. (240V 15/36 amps I believe) The Tesla employee on the phone told me it was a standard procedure to replace the latch on the model 3s. I live in Florida and at the time of writing this message, hurricane Dorian is gradually making its way to the east coast (where I live). My house will probably lose power and the only source of fuel I have are the super chargers or other public charging stations. I’m afraid that the car will charge at a slow pace, or not even take the high levels of energy that the super chargers offer. Public chargers are slower, but I would hate to have to take twice as long in the potential line for electricity (during the hurricane). The Model 3 is our only car and we have a family of one boy and girl in separate schools. We consume around 40 miles per day. They literally broke the charging function of our car right before a major storm.

DONT GET ME WRONG. I am an avid fan of Tesla and what they do. I was just an unlucky buyer who financed the car at the wrong time and had been a serviced by an engineer who had made a few mistakes. Tesla stock is a major slice of my assets chart. I day-trade other stocks, but TSLA is the only one I hold purely because I believe in their positive goals. However, I do not hold Tesla up over other car companies in an unfair advantage. I had been spoiled by established car companies and their excellent service. Tesla is working on their service and I believe they exceptionally well for being a new-ish company. The Model 3 is a great car and I only talked about the negative things in this post. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope that Tesla acknowledges a few issues in their marketing strategy and car service. I wish everyone who is at risk of Dorian to be safe and those hit directly by the storm to recover as soon as possible.

Thank you for reading my rant.

-Jack
Never nice to have "so many" little issues, but your issues were extremely minor. A dangling trim piece?!? Did you take a picture of it? As for the radio, Tesla is notorious for not getting parts in a timely manner, so no one will be surprised by that.

When the radio parts come, have them fix the charge door as well.

Real sorry to read your experiences Jack. Sadly same story here (Netherlands, March 2019 LR AWD). Also have the exact same issue with the indicator stalk. Shocked to read it is a common problem. Besides that I have a host of issues including badly functioning camera's (and related safety systems), creaking and cracking sounds, audio issues and worst of all - terrible paintwork. I have been struggling with Tesla for almost 6 months now. Service in Netherlands SC's is abysmal.

Not much more that 'I sympathise with you' that I can offer - but you're not alone at least!

Cheers!

I too hope you stay safe down in Florida with the pending storm.

however, I am concerned that I cannot supercharge properly due to the engineer hired by Tesla. Whose fault is it? NOT Tesla, and blame should not be something to pester about on a forum. A mistake from a single engineer

Care to explain this "mistake" that an "engineer hired by Tesla" made? Who says it was a mistake, maybe the new part was faulty, or became faulty quickly...it happens. Who says it is an "engineer", and even so, what does it matter who replaced the part and who they were hired by?

It was an inopportune time for this issue to creep up, but you still can technically charge, and you haven't shown that you went to a supercharger and that you car doesn't charge "quickly".