Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs. Honda Accord Hybrid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting you post this!

I have been driving a 2018 Accord 2.0T the past month while I wait for my Tesla M3P to be delivered. A friend loaned it to me, as he had just replaced it with a Q7, and still have a few months on his lease. I'm paying his lease in the meantime, so it works out for everyone.

The 2018 Accord 2.0T sport is not a bad car at all. But, it still feels like a traditional "budget" car. It's a good one, with good features and tech. But the "quality" does not feel nearly as good as the Tesla, IMHO. Though that's primarily based on two 30 minute test drives in Model 3 Long Ranges. The accord is quiet and civilized, but the 2.0T and 10 speed can put on a descent show. However, I come from a modified 2009 Mazdaspeed 3, a fun eco car turned wild drivers car. So the 10 Speed auto can be annoying. Though I find most CVTs infuriating! Especially Nissans. Never experienced the Honda Accord Hybrid system, but I like my personal car to be responsive and ready whenever I am. 10 slow shifting gears + turbo = delays, unless I manually get the gears down, which takes forever.

Anyways, kind of went of track, but I guess it comes down to your priorities. It seems like most of your concern about the Tesla is the range. Even in worse case scenarios, an LR will make a 150 mile commute no problem. But as other stated, the EPA test track is kind of a best case scenario for Tesla's. Highway driving over 70MPH will drop your millage quite a bit, even more so than most modern ICE cars. I think this is due to modern ICE car's having aggressive overdrives compared to the Tesla's no transmission. But as long as it can make your commute with some overhead, and you can properly charge at home, then the Tesla LR is definitely a consideration. But it's kind of in a different league than an Accord.

Reactions: pure9
your experience is different than mine. sentry loss is in the noise compared to the other fans/pumps/coolers/whatever is going on during the day while sitting out in the sun.

You keep saying Sentry is in the noise yet you keep saying your car uses above normal energy when parked. It’s because Sentry usage is not in the noise. Why do you think even Tesla added the option to disable at home. I think it even warns you it will consume. It stops the car from going into deep sleep. It is well known to use about 1 mile per hour. Which is spot on to what your losing.

Shut off Sentry, Cabin Over-temp, Summon Standby. And your car will be like everyone else’s. Yeah some days will vary some depending on temps. I also shut my HVAC off every time I park.

You aren't getting what I'm saying. I lose around the same number miles every day whether sentry is on or off. Sentry isn't my problem, all the other loads are. Switching from ac to fan only cabin overheat protection helped a bit. I haven't tried shutting that off. Some day if I remember I'll give that a shot.

Given the op is in CA, his experience would be closer to mine than yours.

Thank you everyone for your responses. You guys really helped me make a decision and I decided to switch to the long range but something unfortunate happened. The CVAP grant enabled me to afford the LR and I was about to take delivery as soon as it got approved (hopefully by the end of March) but CVAP ran out of funds (Important Program Update! Reservation List Now in Effect - Clean Vehicle Assistance Program) :(

I’m in a difficult situation now since the car is $55k out the door and with no assistance from CVAP it’s becoming harder for me to afford the car.
I really don’t want to go with a Honda and SR+ isn’t enough range for me. I’m stuck between waiting and hoping they get funding again or just pulling the trigger on the LR and dealing with the high monthly payments. My insurance is high too because I’m under 25, Tesla insurance quoted me for $210/month which was one of the lowest after Costco Connect at $180/month

Reactions: XPsionic
Thank you everyone for your responses. You guys really helped me make a decision and I decided to switch to the long range but something unfortunate happened. The CVAP grant enabled me to afford the LR and I was about to take delivery as soon as it got approved (hopefully by the end of March) but CVAP ran out of funds (Important Program Update! Reservation List Now in Effect - Clean Vehicle Assistance Program) :(

I’m in a difficult situation now since the car is $55k out the door and with no assistance from CVAP it’s becoming harder for me to afford the car.
I really don’t want to go with a Honda and SR+ isn’t enough range for me. I’m stuck between waiting and hoping they get funding again or just pulling the trigger on the LR and dealing with the high monthly payments. My insurance is high too because I’m under 25, Tesla insurance quoted me for $210/month which was one of the lowest after Costco Connect at $180/month
A car isn't worth stresses your finances that far. I would get the Honda. Going car broke is a bad thing to do :(

God damn, that's too bad! Don't do it man, don't ever get yourself a big ass loan when you're young. It's the biggest regret everyone has in their 20s, getting into too much debt. I love Teslas and I'd love for you to own one, but it's not worth the trouble.

Wait a few years, you'll be more financially stable and EVs will be everywhere. You'll have no issues finding a cheaper used Model 3, they won't be as hot of a commodity.

God damn, that's too bad! Don't do it man, don't ever get yourself a big ass loan when you're young. It's the biggest regret everyone has in their 20s, getting into too much debt. I love Teslas and I'd love for you to own one, but it's not worth the trouble.

Wait a few years, you'll be more financially stable and EVs will be everywhere. You'll have no issues finding a cheaper used Model 3, they won't be as hot of a commodity.

If I could click "love" a few more times on the "its the biggest regret everyone has in their 20s" part of your statement, I would. Now in my 50s, with a credit score above 830, it certainly was NOT that way in my 20s... I made some silly financial mistakes then, and one of them was going overboard on a new car when I thought I could afford something I couldnt.

At least in this OPs case they wont get "raked over the coals" by a car salesperson if they get a tesla, like I did when I was young, had no one to show me better, and did not know how to (properly) buy a car from a dealer.

Before I climb further up my virtual soapbox, lets jus say that, I agree 1000% that if one is already worried about the finances of making the purchase, that is telling you that you likely shouldnt (virtual "you" not "you @XPsionic lol).

@pure9 , as much as it likely hurts to read this, the best play would be to wait, and possibly get a beater car if you have your heart set on a tesla but dont have a car now, or if you do have a car now, hold off.

The wrong thing to do at least in my opinion) is to buy a version of the car that isnt wnat you determined you want / need. Much better to wait a bit, possibly buy a used LR model 3, than buy a new SR+ when what you want is the LR.

• Love
Reactions: DaveRZ and danarcha
...don't get the SR+, get the LR. The price isn't that much difference...
I wouldn't call a 24% increase "not much of a difference.
But your location is listed as southern California where you never have actual winters.
You know not of which you speak my friend. Why, it actually got down into the 40's the other night! :D :p

Uhm, you could start a GoFundMe, or you could wait, put your money into a meme stock and in a week, you can buy the P3D. All jokes aside, given your age, I'd save some cash, get something cheaper with cheaper insurance. You'll have something to look forward to, when you get old like the rest of us!