Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like i said before why not leak all ur research n knowledge on github or something?...
Would definitely help DYI community
Especially pack upgrades instructions n BMS reset scripts

Bunch of reasons. Not the least of which is that I don't think people should be resetting BMS's. Also, the pool of suspects for such a "leak" would be quite small, so I'll pass.

That'd be nice, but I'm guessing that the business' proprietary information went with the sale.
☝️

Haha this made me laugh... 😂
Couple of times i browsed ur used parts, most were wayyyy overpriced vs eBay... no wonder u ended up with 15k parts lol
Like $1300+shipping for 5.2kwh module from 85 pack vs $500 on ebay...
Or $700 for half shaft ?? lol...
But hey, i'm glad u installed some free parts to customers, lucky for them

I mean, the prices on the website were pretty much made up and never updated. Don't think anything except drive unit packages were ever priced correctly. "Call for pricing and availability" on pretty much everything. Half shafts we tried not to sell because we'd want to keep good ones for drive unit packages.

Battery modules were always sold for higher than eBay (but generally less than listed) because, well, you get what you pay for. Probably 30%+ of our buyers of modules were people who got screwed by eBay sellers or other shops one way or another.

With 057 the modules were individually tested, refurbished as needed (replacement covers, terminal caps, BMB options, sense connections, etc), and always individually packaged in custom packaging that met all of the requirements for safe ground transport of the modules by common carriers (FedEx and UPS). Even customers who ordered 100 of them would get them individually packaged and protected.

We never had a single module damaged in transit on my watch after we got our custom packaging completed. eBay folks are throwing them in boxes with maybe some instapack, or some Hope Depot foam board, which the modules quickly crush and get subsequently get damaged in shipping. They also don't tend to appropriately label them or otherwise abide by the rules for shipping such modules.

I even had one customer send me a photo of modules they received from a popular west coast EV shop. They were just piled on top of each other on a pallet, duct taped together, and shrink wrapped. Suffice it to say the LTL carrier managed to damage nearly every one of them in transit. 🤦‍♂️

I lost track of how many times we got high praise for the quality of our products, especially packaging and protection aspects for shipping. Some random photos from my personal photos of various stages of packaging at 057:

1704396501072.png

1704396620769.png

1704396714281.png

1704396952820.png

Overall, I'm pretty proud of the work I did at 057. Regardless of whatever becomes of it after my departure, I know that I had always done right by the customers and the company.

I know that I had always done right by the customers and the company.
I know you helped another shop get my pack swap talking with the rest of the car and as far as I’m aware, you weren’t compensated.
I thank you for that and the PV side of your website and and and.

Bummer about the old company, but work/life balance is way more important.

very serious about buying 5 of your MITM camera modules when they’re avail.

Anyway.... next, given how Tesla has been changing their designs towards impossible to service and impossible to repair... any such new business would have a shelf life, in my opinion. As the number of older vehicles that can actually be serviced starts to diminish, the amount of specialty work that can actually be achieved and retain value drops significantly. Model S/X pre-plaid are pretty workable. Model 3 is somewhat workable. But everything else is going to be a bit of a nightmare to deal with as a third party. When it comes to working on batteries for things like the Plaid, Y, Cybertruck, etc... it's just a losing game. Tesla's done everything they can to make these components unserviceable.

When I first bought my MS back in 2017, I dreamed it can last at least 20 years and without any problem, but 7 years later now and for sure after all the warranties expired, fixing any big ticket item like battery, LDU, suspensions don't make much financial sense considering the car worth less than 20k and keep dropping.

I wish the manufacturers really work together on getting those items serviceable without becoming e-waste. I imagined in a few years from now, the new waves of EVs will face similar situations. I read couple of Ioniq owners in Canada who lightly scratched the battery shields and the car is working fine but Hyundai dealer charged 60k to replace the battery which is more than a new car, insurance just written them off, a very expensive paid out.

Bunch of reasons. Not the least of which is that I don't think people should be resetting BMS's. Also, the pool of suspects for such a "leak" would be quite small, so I'll pass.
Sure i get that u scared but its not like ur the only one that knows how to do it, n upgrades too
Ppl do n will buy reset device or pay other shops to upgrade packs
Having ur info in open source would just help some of us poor souls save some money but it won't steer us away from doing what we want to do...

Overall, I'm pretty proud of the work I did at 057. Regardless of whatever becomes of it after my departure, I know that I had always done right by the customers and the company.
I'd never let other business to keep my name, if they want to buy it they have to change name...

Any way to contact the new company?
As far as I'm aware points for public contact remain the same.

Sure i get that u scared but its not like ur the only one that knows how to do it, n upgrades too
Ppl do n will buy reset device or pay other shops to upgrade packs
If people want to do dumb things, that's on them. I'm not going to help people do dumb things. Nothing whatsoever to do with being "scared." :rolleyes:

If other people/companies want the liability of scamming people with such reset devices, that's on them.

Having ur info in open source would just help some of us poor souls save some money but it won't steer us away from doing what we want to do...
There's things I'd consider releasing if/when it's possible to do so, but I doubt anything I'd release would ever translate to helping anyone who's trying to cut corners save any money. In fact, my processes on many things are quite involved and time consuming, especially for a DIYer. Quite possibly completely out of reach even with the information.

And to be clear: under no circumstances will I ever publish something like a way to do a blanket BMS reset in the face of a critical issue, since that is guaranteed to fail and is even quite likely to cause an even bigger problem like a fire. That will never happen. Never. Not from me. No sir.

Again, if people want to do dumb things, that's their right. It's a free country and you have the right to do stupid things with your own property. I'm not going to stop you, but I'll never facilitate such nonsense. It will never be on me when you set your house on fire after a shoddy hack "fix", and I'll have no part in it whatsoever. I, however, have no issue with publicly calling out people who do such stuff as idiots and will defend that position with clear facts right up until your reset-hacked battery bursts into flames.

I quite literally have no skin in this game at this point, so not like I'm pushing people to use my services instead of a cheap hack. Resets don't fix problems any more than taking the battery out of a smoke detector puts out the raging fire beneath it. Don't be stupid, get things properly taken care of.

I'd never let other business to keep my name, if they want to buy it they have to change name...

giphy (6).gif

Tell me you've never run, let alone sold, a real business without telling me you've never run, let alone sold, a real business.

As far as I'm aware points for public contact remain the same.

If people want to do dumb things, that's on them. I'm not going to help people do dumb things. Nothing whatsoever to do with being "scared." :rolleyes:

If other people/companies want the liability of scamming people with such reset devices, that's on them.

There's things I'd consider releasing if/when it's possible to do so, but I doubt anything I'd release would ever translate to helping anyone who's trying to cut corners save any money. In fact, my processes on many things are quite involved and time consuming, especially for a DIYer. Quite possibly completely out of reach even with the information.

And to be clear: under no circumstances will I ever publish something like a way to do a blanket BMS reset in the face of a critical issue, since that is guaranteed to fail and is even quite likely to cause an even bigger problem like a fire. That will never happen. Never. Not from me. No sir.

Again, if people want to do dumb things, that's their right. It's a free country and you have the right to do stupid things with your own property. I'm not going to stop you, but I'll never facilitate such nonsense. It will never be on me when you set your house on fire after a shoddy hack "fix", and I'll have no part in it whatsoever. I, however, have no issue with publicly calling out people who do such stuff as idiots and will defend that position with clear facts right up until your reset-hacked battery bursts into flames.

I quite literally have no skin in this game at this point, so not like I'm pushing people to use my services instead of a cheap hack. Resets don't fix problems any more than taking the battery out of a smoke detector puts out the raging fire beneath it. Don't be stupid, get things properly taken care of.

View attachment 1005918

Tell me you've never run, let alone sold, a real business without telling me you've never run, let alone sold, a real business.
Thanks for the flurry of info the last few days. It has answered question we've had for awhile now. I'm just wondering, what caused you to break radio silence just now?

They opened a new company. I honestly don't know the exact details, and am being cautious with disclosing the little info I do have. I've had virtually nothing to do with 057 since the summer. Last I knew people were still getting service (some support requests even being replied to by my own old account I've heard), but no new service plans were being sold. None of my previous employees (mostly family) are with them any longer, so I don't have any inside info at all.

The webhosting bill appears to be getting paid. I'd planned on physically retrieving that server at some point (has some personal sites on it as well) if it ever wasn't, since a long time friend works for the hosting company, but 🤷‍♂️
Well I bought a service plan in April 2023 based on your testimonials, constant helping others on these forums, and the implied assumption you would be the expert working on my car if need be - or at least supervising things. Now you say you sold the company before I even bought it, unbeknownst to anyone in TMC-land at the time. Still no word on whether I have an active service plan or not. And if I even do, who knows who would be working on my car? There's a new company but I'm supposed to use the old 057tech website ticket system if my car throws errors? Other people satisfied with your answers probably didn't send a lot of money down a black hole.

Now you say you sold the company before I even bought it, unbeknownst to anyone in TMC-land at the time.
To be fair, I don’t think he mentioned the last time he pooped either. Or his shoe size. Or if it’s boxers or briefs.

Welcome to private companies, no one owes you a look into their financials/business dealings. 🤷🏿‍♂️

You bought a plan from a company that is still around, has the same contact methods (from latest Jason’s post).

Entitlement is wild.

It sounds like contacting your credit card company and filing a chargeback with a list of supporting docs is likely your best bet to obtain that black hole cash(your words, not mine).

I'm torn. I owned a motorcycle shop for three years before the housing crash 15yrs ago. It was a tough experience that I never want to do again. But we took one month to shut it down properly and do our customers right. We had already lost our butts and I didn't want faithful customers to lose a dime. I don't feel the same happened here - I had no idea until today my coverage had ceased a few months after I paid for it.

I purchased my plan May 23, 2023 under the impression @wk057 was still running the show. I was told to wait for my module and my car would be covered in the interim. Never got it. And I just find out today the company was sold "early 2023" and @wk057 (Jason Hughes) left the company that summer? And from a FB post! No notice. No email. I know Jason was in a bind bc he had stayed on, but man I feel duped ...and I'm allowed to feel this way. In a way, I paid for that privilege.

So to the few claiming that those of us who bought into and backed Jason's business dream are acting with some form of "entitlement," also consider how something like this affects future small businesses of all types being able to take off and flourish. This debacle has the potential to leave a bad taste in any person's mouth. And besides, some of us just feel a need a to vent.

So to the few claiming that those of us who bought into and backed Jason's business dream are acting with some form of "entitlement," also consider how something like this affects future small businesses of all types being able to take off and flourish. This debacle has the potential to leave a bad taste in any person's mouth. And besides, some of us just feel a need a to vent.
Cranky, if you see buckets' other posts, he got his new battery, so to heck with everyone else l guess...

Well I bought a service plan in April 2023 based on your testimonials, constant helping others on these forums, and the implied assumption you would be the expert working on my car if need be - or at least supervising things. Now you say you sold the company before I even bought it, unbeknownst to anyone in TMC-land at the time. Still no word on whether I have an active service plan or not. And if I even do, who knows who would be working on my car? There's a new company but I'm supposed to use the old 057tech website ticket system if my car throws errors? Other people satisfied with your answers probably didn't send a lot of money down a black hole.

If you bought the plan after he sold the company you're in better shape than those of us who bought it beforehand. This way the people who bought the company are definitely on the line for what they sold you. I can't be sure that they're on the line for what Jason sold me (around 2 years before my factory warranty ran out) before he sold the company. It all depends on how the sale went. Was it actually the incorporation they bought or just all of the intellectual property and materials etc. Makes a huge difference! More data needs to be gathered before anybody can know.

I guess, if my battery doesn't die before next December, I got what I paid for. If it does, it's going to be interesting!

In any event, this is the real world. Perfection doesn't come this time around!

Reactions: buckets0fun
This is how I feel with everyone backing the way wk057 went out.

The sale of a company does not happen overnight. There could have been things done prior to the sale to make sure customers were taken care of.

For the people responding that we feel some type of entitlement, in a way we should feel entitled to something that we paid for.

There are people that purchased an older tesla w/a extended warranty plan that influenced their decision. Not being able to have the coverage, false promises, losing out on their hard earned money, and being kept in the dark for so long are all aspects of this that definitely will give you a sour taste.

Also, for the people saying "oh gosh, those people that paid for that warranty should have known the risks of it all" - really? Do we really have this idea every time we purchase something?

All the naysayers that support the way this ended, did you purchase a warranty?

I'm torn. I owned a motorcycle shop for three years before the housing crash 15yrs ago. It was a tough experience that I never want to do again. But we took one month to shut it down properly and do our customers right. We had already lost our butts and I didn't want faithful customers to lose a dime. I don't feel the same happened here - I had no idea until today my coverage had ceased a few months after I paid for it.

I purchased my plan May 23, 2023 under the impression @wk057 was still running the show. I was told to wait for my module and my car would be covered in the interim. Never got it. And I just find out today the company was sold "early 2023" and @wk057 (Jason Hughes) left the company that summer? And from a FB post! No notice. No email. I know Jason was in a bind bc he had stayed on, but man I feel duped ...and I'm allowed to feel this way. In a way, I paid for that privilege.

From a 30,000 foot view, we are in the infancy of 3rd party professionals servicing Teslas. And things will get better with time, just as it did 100 years ago with ICE. Even 100 years ago up today there are 057Tech type issues.

That said, one of the main reasons I choose to use Tesla for my out of pocket pack replacement and other paid services was because of my uncertainty if any 3rd party options would be in business in case there was a warranty issue. If Tesla goes out of business, then we're all in dire straits.

Last edited: