Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Survey by Plug In America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a quick script to mine my log that I've been keeping with the REST API, I've seen stop points between 91 and 94 percent listed. Interestingly, there are even a couple of days where the percent rises 20-30 minutes after it finishes charging.

From pasting the reported data from the survey into excel, I get that a standard charge is 90.6% +/- 0.3% (SEM) of a range charge. Of course the range calculating algorithm could always have some systematic differences when it comes to standard charges and range charges.

From pasting the reported data from the survey into excel, I get that a standard charge is 90.6% +/- 0.3% (SEM) of a range charge. Of course the range calculating algorithm could always have some systematic differences when it comes to standard charges and range charges.

Computing as a percent of rated range (208 for me), I get between 90.5% and 91.5% charge, moving with very little relation to the car-reported percentage (except for one blip where they both go up to 94%)

From a quick script to mine my log that I've been keeping with the REST API, I've seen stop points between 91 and 94 percent listed. Interestingly, there are even a couple of days where the percent rises 20-30 minutes after it finishes charging.

This is the correct way to do it, as opposed to the posts that follow. The way Tesla reports back via their API is likely the way the 4.5 percentage will know when to stop. Mine has *always* been exactly 93%. I'm very surprised to hear that you've seen otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Tom,

Can I request that you include the "typical amps" column in the vehicles list page? I'm trying to determine why I have battery degradation, and it's a piece of data I'd like to investigate.

Tom,

Can I request that you include the "typical amps" column in the vehicles list page? I'm trying to determine why I have battery degradation, and it's a piece of data I'd like to investigate.
Oh, I'll do better than that! The full data set, the most recent report for each vehicle, is now available as tab separated text and JSON.

This includes the charge volts and amps reported, from which you can compute charge power. Investigate away.

I've added links to get the full data on the Results page and the Vehicles page.

I'll be speaking at the Plug-In 2013 Conference & Exposition on two panels:

Why Everyone Should Own an Electric Vehicle
An Expert Seminar on Public Education and Outreach
Sept. 30, 2:30-5:30 p.m.

Battery Technology Marches On
Assessing the current and future performance and costs of Lithium Ion and other advances in battery technologies
Oct. 2, 1:30 p.m.-3 p.m.

If you're interested in attending, you can save $100 by registering by Friday, Aug 30th.

Last edited:
I'll be speaking at the Plug-In 2013 Conference & Exposition on two panels:

Why Everyone Should Own an Electric Vehicle
An Expert Seminar on Public Education and Outreach
Sept. 30, 2:30-5:30 p.m.

Battery Technology Marches On
Assessing the current and future performance and costs of Lithium Ion and other advances in battery technologies
Oct. 2, 1:30 p.m.-3 p.m.

If you're interested in attending, you can save $100 by registering by Friday, Aug 30th.

"An invalid link was clicked" for both URLs

Was at TMC and found your talk interesting. Just filled out the survey. Thanks for doing this.
Thanks, Larry. For those who attended the talk at TMC Connect and want to see the graphs, I've posted the slides.

Model S Battery Pack Longevity

Model S Performance (all but the first slide appear in the Battery Longevity slides)

For those who weren't at the talk to hear the explanations, the charts may be a little mysterious, but feel free to take a look anyway. I'll be working on updating the charts with some new data and writing up a paper that will explain everything.

I definitely still want more data, both more vehicles and updates to vehicles already in the survey.

Survey Form

Update Form

Thanks, Larry. For those who attended the talk at TMC Connect and want to see the graphs, I've posted the slides.

Model S Battery Pack Longevity

Model S Performance (all but the first slide appear in the Battery Longevity slides)

For those who weren't at the talk to hear the explanations, the charts may be a little mysterious, but feel free to take a look anyway. I'll be working on updating the charts with some new data and writing up a paper that will explain everything.

I definitely still want more data, both more vehicles and updates to vehicles already in the survey.

Survey Form

Update Form

Yea there seems to be a surge in complete drive unit failures (not just sound) in the last 4 or 5 days alone post your TMC-connect slides. I hope these ppl are updating your survey. I just updated it last week to reflect my drive unit replacement at 51k miles.

I'm about to dig in to the data to write up a report, similar to what I presented at TMC Connect, but with the latest data. If you haven't contributed, please fill out the survey. If you have contributed and would like to send in your latest numbers, you can use the update form.

To see an overview of the vehicles in the survey, check out the vehicles page.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Tesla community.

I'm about to dig in to the data to write up a report, similar to what I presented at TMC Connect, but with the latest data. If you haven't contributed, please fill out the survey.

For European responders, do you still want the answers in 'Rated' miles? Our 'rated' is closer to USA 'ideal'. Giving you answers in 'typical' would give closer numbers to the USA-rated ones, but not actually the same. Or do you just scale the EU rated numbers to get USA-rated?

Thanks, Arg, good question.

Yes, I want rated miles or kilometers in all countries. I scale for both miles/kilometers and for the different rating systems. You can see that in the vehicles table where all vehicles show their full-charge rated range scaled to EPA rated miles.

Just to put the Green Car Reports article in context...

The survey doesn't report failures, it reports replacements. The drive unit replacements have been mainly about noise, not about being stranded on the side of the road.

The survey shows these replacements rates by model year:

2012: 26 of 101, 26%
2013: 53 of 232, 23%
2014: 7 of 39, 18%
2015: 0 of 14, 0%

Since any of these vehicles could have had their drive unit replaced after their most recent survey report, these numbers could be low.

The numbers could also be high if owners who have had problems are more likely to fill out the survey. I don't think that's likely a problem, but I don't have another data source to test against.

GCR did some fancy statistical analysis to estimate future "failure" rates based on the survey data. Who knows if the drive unit "failures" fit their model.

It became clear in mid 2014 that Tesla had an issue with the Model S drive units making noise.

On my way to TMC Connect in July, 2014, I met a Model S owner who was having problems with his second drive unit making an unusual amount of noise. His was replaced within the original 50,000-mile warranty, and he was having trouble getting another replacement because he was over 90,000 miles (yes, that's a lot of miles for a car that was only 19 months old). He had a conversation with the service folks at the Frement service center and they agreed to replace the drive unit even though he was at almost double the warranty mileage.

The next month, Tesla extended the warranty on the drive unit from 4 years/50,000 miles to 8 years/100,000 miles (60 kWh models) or 8 years/infinite miles (85 kWh models).

So, yes they have/had a problem, but they are taking care of their customers.

Obviously, I would really like to get more Model S data from all owners, both those who have had issues and those whose ownership has been trouble free.

Plug In America Model S Survey

Last edited:
Obviously, I would really like to get more Model S data from all owners, both those who have had issues and those whose ownership has been trouble free.

Just added my data. Though my ownership has not been "trouble-free", it has been trouble-free with respect to the components your survey requests info on.

I'm posting because I noticed information that is no longer accurate at the top of the "Vehicles List" page. The information you include says:

"Note that Tesla Motors uses the EPA range to define rated miles for cars in the US and Canada and the NEDC range everywhere else. For example, the 85 kWh has an EPA rated range of 265 miles and a NEDC rated range of 312 miles (502 km). In this table, all vehicles are scaled to rated miles based on the EPA range."

I'm sure you are aware that the EPA rated range of the various trim levels now differs. The EPA rated range for my 85 kWh P85D, for example is not 265 miles, but rather 242 miles (I believe.)