Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given Aussie Y still is long way off.... for those interested, here's a brief update on my experience with the Merc EQA...
I thought I would try the EQA as an interim measure until the model Y hit. Having had one for a few months, I am still very satisfied with it and will keep it given wifey prefers it too.
Never owning a Merc I didn't know what to expect. Turns out its quieter than my M3, softer suspension and a far more comfortable ride in comfort mode (has dynamic adjustable dampeners sport / comfort etc). Excellent build quality and is a level above Tesla at this point. Wifey much prefers it to the M3. Easy access in and out and great all round compact SUV EV. It's probably not a family SUV tho. For couples, it has room for us including our two golf bags / buggies etc. OTA software updates are currently rare. There are buttons and touchpads galore. I do like just being able to press a button and it happens. I think on that, Merc has still gone a bit over the top, buttons galore and 3 touch surfaces (one each side of the steering wheel, large one on the center console) and a touch screen as well. Like Tesla, you can tell it to do / adjust most things, but lets face it , voice commands are just too slow when you can easily push a button.
Car was ordered online and handled by MERC HQ. The dealer still does the handover and that was all good. I'm sure there will always be good/ bad dealers, like Tesla service centers as well. Seems Merc / Honda etc are following Tesla's lead and phasing out dealers, they are just not affordable anymore.
The car was missing the Augmented Reality option due to chip shortage and module promised to be installed when available. Other compensation was also provided as a sweetener for this inconvenience.
It's great Tesla has forced Big Auto to provide EV choices even though its still too limited here in Oz.
EQA comes with 3 years complimentary Charge Fox network so going to do a road trip from Melbourne to Townsville and my only concern is whether the QLD fast chargers will actually be operational in FNQ - need to ensure ABC and a plan B!

Given Aussie Y still is long way off.... for those interested, here's a brief update on my experience with the Merc EQA...
I thought I would try the EQA as an interim measure until the model Y hit. Having had one for a few months, I am still very satisfied with it and will keep it given wifey prefers it too.
Never owning a Merc I didn't know what to expect. Turns out its quieter than my M3, softer suspension and a far more comfortable ride in comfort mode (has dynamic adjustable dampeners sport / comfort etc). Excellent build quality and is a level above Tesla at this point. Wifey much prefers it to the M3. Easy access in and out and great all round compact SUV EV. It's probably not a family SUV tho. For couples, it has room for us including our two golf bags / buggies etc. OTA software updates are currently rare. There are buttons and touchpads galore. I do like just being able to press a button and it happens. I think on that, Merc has still gone a bit over the top, buttons galore and 3 touch surfaces (one each side of the steering wheel, large one on the center console) and a touch screen as well. Like Tesla, you can tell it to do / adjust most things, but lets face it , voice commands are just too slow when you can easily push a button.
Car was ordered online and handled by MERC HQ. The dealer still does the handover and that was all good. I'm sure there will always be good/ bad dealers, like Tesla service centers as well. Seems Merc / Honda etc are following Tesla's lead and phasing out dealers, they are just not affordable anymore.
The car was missing the Augmented Reality option due to chip shortage and module promised to be installed when available. Other compensation was also provided as a sweetener for this inconvenience.
It's great Tesla has forced Big Auto to provide EV choices even though its still too limited here in Oz.
EQA comes with 3 years complimentary Charge Fox network so going to do a road trip from Melbourne to Townsville and my only concern is whether the QLD fast chargers will actually be operational in FNQ - need to ensure ABC and a plan B!

Good info, thanks for that....but....0-100 in 9 seconds for an EV that only does 320km on a 90% charge (real world driving) and takes way longer to charge seems a heap behind what Tesla are achieving....or am I wrong with these figures?

I configured up one and boy'o boy by the time I put in options included in the Model Y as a default the price really cranks up fast.....

I currently have a Skoda Superb new generation with suspension settings that can be changed. I use it in sports mode mostly and it has a firm ride with the 19" wheels. I do change the suspension setup when cruising on the highway to comfort which is very soft and floaty. I have had many cars over the years including a Nissan 350z which was modified and had a very firm ride. I am getting older now so comfort to a reasonable degree is welcomed. I found the MD3 to have a firm ride but still compliant, although on 'B' grade roads it was quite harsh (ie) like the ones out in Dural NSW. I can live with it but if the Y is 'worse' then the daily grind will not be pleasant after the euphoria of a new car wears off.
Thanks very much for all that info, very useful. We are probably in a similar demographic to you. We have a Golf GT with 45 profile wheels and it is firm but fine, we like the handling in general. Have an 80 series landcruiser which of course is firm & bouncy and a different beast altogether. I also have a Citroen ID19 from the early 60s with glorious suspension even if the rest of it is a bit agricultural (very underpowered for example). If only hydraulic suspension systems had taken off fully (And did I pick up here that the S/X has it? Will have to look into that).
Anyway I am still intending to go ahead with a Y-LR and will stick with standard 19" wheels and perhaps different tyres may make up for shortcomings if its too harsh. Tyres can make a big difference to some cars.
Re my Merc comment, I probably hit a bad day at a dealer so possibly unfair, but even at another it was like visiting your bank manager in the 70's asking for a loan, or going to the principals office at school. Seemed to be assessing whether we were worthy or not. Maybe that says more about me than them of course :)
If the Y has coil springs then is it possible to add/replace gas or oil dampeners to it? Or change the characteritics (spring rates, cushioning)? Put gas filled front suspension into a 1600 Celica back in the day and it transformed the car. That was in the DIY days of course. I suppose with electronic everything and computer chips everywhere its bloody impossible. The 'HAL' would have a fit. "I'm sorry Leconte, I can't do that".
Cheers leconte

Thanks very much for all that info, very useful. We are probably in a similar demographic to you. We have a Golf GT with 45 profile wheels and it is firm but fine, we like the handling in general. Have an 80 series landcruiser which of course is firm & bouncy and a different beast altogether. I also have a Citroen ID19 from the early 60s with glorious suspension even if the rest of it is a bit agricultural (very underpowered for example). If only hydraulic suspension systems had taken off fully (And did I pick up here that the S/X has it? Will have to look into that).
Anyway I am still intending to go ahead with a Y-LR and will stick with standard 19" wheels and perhaps different tyres may make up for shortcomings if its too harsh. Tyres can make a big difference to some cars.
Re my Merc comment, I probably hit a bad day at a dealer so possibly unfair, but even at another it was like visiting your bank manager in the 70's asking for a loan, or going to the principals office at school. Seemed to be assessing whether we were worthy or not. Maybe that says more about me than them of course :)
If the Y has coil springs then is it possible to add/replace gas or oil dampeners to it? Or change the characteritics (spring rates, cushioning)? Put gas filled front suspension into a 1600 Celica back in the day and it transformed the car. That was in the DIY days of course. I suppose with electronic everything and computer chips everywhere its bloody impossible. The 'HAL' would have a fit. "I'm sorry Leconte, I can't do that".
Cheers leconte

I'm honestly still shocked Tesla hasn't introduced electronic magride dampers to all its cars, on the scale they produce the things, it wouldn't cost much more (even if they increased the vehicle cost). This would fend off the suspension critcisms and add another welcome feature.

Some Model S and X have air suspension, not hydraulic suspension, and as such are closer to a low rider than a DS.
Yeah I am aware of that, however, air systems are comparitively complicated and expensive compared to electronically controled magnetic dampers. Air sytems require expensive air dampers, plumbing and compressors.

Magneride dampers look for the most part like any other damper just with a simple elctrical cable coming off them which plugs into the ECU. Obviously ride height cannot be adjusted, but firmness can. Plenty good enough solution for the 3 and Y.

Reactions: positiv and Fazza
Good info, thanks for that....but....0-100 in 9 seconds for an EV that only does 320km on a 90% charge (real world driving) and takes way longer to charge seems a heap behind what Tesla are achieving....or am I wrong with these figures?

I configured up one and boy'o boy by the time I put in options included in the Model Y as a default the price really cranks up fast.....
I find real world I comfortably get 320-340kms from 80% charge which was about the same as my M3 P- . It charges 10-80% in about 20 mins @108kwh so but like many charging is 99% at home about once per week direct from solar. Its worth looking at the whole charging curve (Bjorn Nyland did some episodes on it) I often found in my M3 it never seemed to be above 120kwh for long before tapering.
Agree, certainly does not have the acceleration of the M3 but I just don't seem miss that aspect all that much . The EQA 350 dual motor is about to drop in Aus that will have more speed. There always seems to be some trade offs with any vehicle and our own particular needs & preferences etc. Having seen both our M3 and Merc two friends recently told me their next car is now gong to be EV. That's what we want to see isn't it?

Reactions: bay74 and Hairyman
I find real world I comfortably get 320-340kms from 80% charge which was about the same as my M3 P- . It charges 10-80% in about 20 mins @108kwh so but like many charging is 99% at home about once per week direct from solar. Its worth looking at the whole charging curve (Bjorn Nyland did some episodes on it) I often found in my M3 it never seemed to be above 120kwh for long before tapering.
Agree, certainly does not have the acceleration of the M3 but I just don't seem miss that aspect all that much . The EQA 350 dual motor is about to drop in Aus that will have more speed. There always seems to be some trade offs with any vehicle and our own particular needs & preferences etc. Having seen both our M3 and Merc two friends recently told me their next car is now gong to be EV. That's what we want to see isn't it?
yeah more EV's on the road is the goal. Sounds like a nice ride!

Reactions: Hairyman
Agreed, the more EVs the better.

Just one thing though, I easily get 400km on an 80% charge on my Model 3P….maybe I drive overall slower?

Reactions: Stratman
Agreed, the more EVs the better.

Just one thing though, I easily get 400km on an 80% charge on my Model 3P….maybe I drive overall slower?
That’s good range compared to me. Always makes me wonder what sort of a hoon I must be. I’m getting about 440 from 100% in my M3P, maybe lots of short trips with the climate control working hard as a result?

Or

You know

hoon…

That’s good range compared to me. Always makes me wonder what sort of a hoon I must be. I’m getting about 440 from 100% in my M3P, maybe lots of short trips with the climate control working hard as a result?

Or

You know

hoon…

Maybe...you hoon, me grandma ;)

I get 480km on a 100% change if I am doing my version of being a "hoon"....however easily often get 405-410km's on an 80% charge....

Maybe the lowreing of my car does make a difference? I am on Unplugged Performance springs for the performance which does drop the car by about 2.5cm's from memeory...see image below.

IMG_2224.jpeg

Reactions: Hairyman
Maybe...you hoon, me grandma ;)

I get 480km on a 100% change if I am doing my version of being a "hoon"....however easily often get 405-410km's on an 80% charge....

Maybe the lowreing of my car does make a difference? I am on Unplugged Performance springs for the performance which does drop the car by about 2.5cm's from memeory...see image below.

View attachment 767529
Those springs give it a really aggressive stance. Very cool