Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I don't think I can wait until 2023 or 24 to order. Will have to look elsewhere at other EVs on the market if nothing firm on the model Y appears by around the end of August. My ageing ICE is going to need tyres and other work by the end of the year if its not going to get replaced and we're already throwing good money after bad on a completely devalued car. I am holding my wife at bay who has wanted a new small-medium SUV for at least a few years and I keep promising its just around the corner (now with little credibility). We had to spend $4K a couple of years ago on engine repairs for a car not worth any more than that just so I could keep it going in the meantime (until something very much like the Y came along). Its frustrating.

Well I don't think I can wait until 2023 or 24 to order. Will have to look elsewhere at other EVs on the market if nothing firm on the model Y appears by around the end of August. My ageing ICE is going to need tyres and other work by the end of the year if its not going to get replaced and we're already throwing good money after bad on a completely devalued car. I am holding my wife at bay who has wanted a new small-medium SUV for at least a few years and I keep promising its just around the corner (now with little credibility). We had to spend $4K a couple of years ago on engine repairs for a car not worth any more than that just so I could keep it going in the meantime (until something very much like the Y came along). Its frustrating.
Your situation sounds identical to mine. Ageing car, just had engine trouble, had it fixed, a new problem has now occurred. Need brakes and 4 new tires and rego is in June. I just keep telling myself that i just need to fix these few things to make it sellable when the Y is finally delivered.

The Driven had a good article recently - Wait for the EV grin or dive right in? Tesla Model Y versus Kia EV6

In short, wait for the car you want! I also looked around at the EV6 and Ioniq5 but both are sold out for longer than the Y and both dont have the space of the Y. Dont settle, thats all i'll say. Also, the longer the Y takes, the bigger your deposit. Lets just hope its this year!

Polestar 2?
Some preconfigured cars are available late march apparently (VIC) mid march if NSW
pI

Polestar 2?
Some preconfigured cars are available late march apparently (VIC) mid march if NSW
Why do they have so many pre configured cars available to purchase? I would have thought in this high demand/low supply climate that all should be easily accounted for? It's not like they are bringing in thousands at the moment. My guess is it has a few too many compromises for the 'average' EV buyer. Might be a very good buy on the 2nd hand market as I predict it will not hold it's value well. The next model of the polestar might be the better choice.

Why do they have so many pre configured cars available to purchase? I would have thought in this high demand/low supply climate that all should be easily accounted for? It's not like they are bringing in thousands at the moment. My guess is it has a few too many compromises for the 'average' EV buyer. Might be a very good buy on the 2nd hand market as I predict it will not hold it's value well. The next model of the polestar might be the better choice.
I’ve driven the Polestar 2, it’s a very nice car and EV. Maybe in some ways, efficiency (not terrible efficiency though), not as good as Tesla, however it leads in other ways….

If I was desperate for a Model 3 and couldn’t get one I would be quite happy with a Polestar 2…..

What are the other EV SUV options? BYD or MG?

To be honest I don't know, after looking at hybrids (very disappointing) then expensive EVs like Mercs, I concluded the model Y was the pick for us, suiting our needs and far in front in terms of range and performance and actually price. A large boot, longish range and higher driving position are important to us so that limits the field. I'd be hoping for a new model not on the market now to come in by mid year (unlikely I suppose), or settle for a cheaper compromise EV with intention to move it on after perhaps 18 months in favour of a Y. Still hoping for orders to open in a month or two or three and delivery late this year. Was hoping for much earlier purchase throughout last year of course though! I won't be buying an ICE car again though, I know that.

Wonder what the crossover from Model 3 to Y orders are going to be for those of us waiting on Q2/3 M3's.
Its a good question. To change your order you lose your deposit, its only $350 but that might deter some people. In terms of delivery, they could arrive at the same time, so it wont be a situation of ordering a Y because it will arrive before the 3, best case is that the Y is on the same Q3 boat as those 3 orders which would mean orders for the Y open in Q2 sometime.

Its a good question. To change your order you lose your deposit, its only $350 but that might deter some people. In terms of delivery, they could arrive at the same time, so it wont be a situation of ordering a Y because it will arrive before the 3, best case is that the Y is on the same Q3 boat as those 3 orders which would mean orders for the Y open in Q2 sometime.
Hopefully, the pent up demand for Model Y should be intense by all this waiting. Order first and contemplate your decision later haha

To be honest I don't know, after looking at hybrids (very disappointing) then expensive EVs like Mercs, I concluded the model Y was the pick for us, suiting our needs and far in front in terms of range and performance and actually price. A large boot, longish range and higher driving position are important to us so that limits the field. I'd be hoping for a new model not on the market now to come in by mid year (unlikely I suppose), or settle for a cheaper compromise EV with intention to move it on after perhaps 18 months in favour of a Y. Still hoping for orders to open in a month or two or three and delivery late this year. Was hoping for much earlier purchase throughout last year of course though! I won't be buying an ICE car again though, I know that.
The Polestar 2 whilst not an SUV is much higher off the ground than the Model 3.....

So same as the P2 then? .. ok slightly worse range.. but actual suv

The P2 is designed as an EV from the ground up (not a modified ICE, which was one of my points....just because they elected to put in a silly, and yes I agree silly, raised central floor tunnel doesn't mean the P2 is an ICE modified design...it's based on the Volvo CMA platform and since the XC40 is based on an ICE they are using the tunnel for batteries and the P2 is no different). The P2 has far faster charging capabilities, at a minimum gets around 40km's more per charge and whilst not as efficient as Tesla (they're the king here not doubt) the P2 is around 15% more efficient than the XC40. Put it this way, at a 90% charge the P2 will get around 330km's and the XC40 will get around 285km's.

I was just suggesting the P2 as an option that may be looked at, it can be bought today if you want (they have stock) and does have a higher ride level than a Model 3, maybe not as high as a Model Y but none the less a considerably higher ride level than a Model 3 (oh and it's a hatch like a Model S so it's very good and getting "things" in).

I've been driving EVs for 7 years now...I do have a bit of experience on claims/facts and what it is like to be an all EV family (no ICE in this family)….range is often king for most people and 350km’s (which the P2 comes very close to at a 90% charge) is actually the sweet spot if you don’t want to feel like you're needing to charge your car each 2-3 days (even more so when one gets Solar/Battery).

The above are my opinions based on my experience of actually owning and driving EVs for the past 7 years and I have no issue whichever way people wish to go, the more EVs on the road, no matter what the brand, the better.

EVs.png

Last edited:
The P2 is the same platform as the xc40??

Yes, like the article states that you have linked to...they're both based on the same CMA platform...but the XC40 is a modified ICE and the P2 is a EV designed car not a modified ICE....so whilst the platform is shared there is no other compromises for the P2 vs XC40.