Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it normal to see "Prepare for delivery" immediately after ordering a Y in Australia? On the "Prepare for delivery" page it wants me to enter "Delivery Location", "Trade-in", "Registration" and "Payment method". I guess after I've entered all this it will show me a delivery date estimate between Aug and Nov like other people have been reporting, is that right?

I am a bit worried about entering my current license info right now, as I need to renew my license quite soon, so I will have a new license by the time the car is ready. Would that be a problem? I could wait to enter this info until I have my new license, but I don't want to slip back in the queue.

I am a bit worried about entering my current license info right now, as I need to renew my license quite soon, so I will have a new license by the time the car is ready. Would that be a problem? I could wait to enter this info until I have my new license, but I don't want to slip back in the queue.
It won't be a problem, and unless you're changing states your license number should stay the same anyway.

I popped into the Chatswood showroom after lunch and it was packed. The boot is obviously more practical, the rear seat more comfortable as the seat base feels higher, and the drivers seat on the white one in the showroom felt like it had less foam than my 3.

Whilst I was looking at the car I noticed another guy and thought "he looks familiar". It was Tesla Tom. :)

While your intentions are fairly questionable, at least they're consistently questionable.
While your optimism is fairly unreasonable, at least it is consistently unreasonable.

I have no agenda. I'm not selling anything. I am a realist.
When everyone thought the car would come last year, I said Q2, Q3.-I got shot down. With everything that happened after New Year, I said Q4, Q1 2023 - I got shot down. That is where we are now.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Delays will happen. I don't want people to be overly optimistic and think they get something in November. It actually says November to February. So it is 9 months, a pregnancy, a baby away at worst. Unless there is an additiona 1-2 months delay.

Oh, and by the way, Chuq, don't feel bad about your M3. It is a good car. I have one, but my second car is coming in a week and it is a different EV.
When I saw Tesla opening sales for MY, I jumped in and saw exactly what I was fearing. 6-9 months delivery. Had they said 3 months and Shanghai wouldn't have been shut down, I would have cancelled my current order and gone for a Tesla MY. But 6-9 months and the delay in Shanghai, you must be an optimist if you think you'll get a car in November.

Good luck anyhow. Father Christmas might come to you early if you believe in him really, really hard.

I'm interested to hear reasons for other people switching from 3 to Y.

As others have said rear boot space but also the seat height. I have taller kids and with their feet on the floor in the back seat their knees are right up with no leg support. It’s ok for shorter trips but not for longer ones. It’s one of the few things I really dislike about the 3.
I also want LR this time.

Reactions: Tigger
I'm interested to hear reasons for other people switching from 3 to Y.

Well, I won’t be switching, although I am very excited that Model Y is released and even more people will now be buying BEVs.
  • I don’t like SUV form factors
  • Have found the 3 to be plenty big enough for our needs, including boot/froot space
  • Keeping a car for only 2 years would offend my sense of thrift

Reactions: Tigger
Well, I won’t be switching, although I am very excited that Model Y is released and even more people will now be buying BEVs.
  • I don’t like SUV form factors
  • Have found the 3 to be plenty big enough for our needs, including boot/froot space
  • Keeping a car for only 2 years would offend my sense of thrift
Agreed, all good reasons...but on point three...if you get a new Y and someone buys your second hand 3 (that couldn't otherwise foot out for a new one) we double the EVs on the road quicker ;)

Of course, only issue is the 3 second hand is just as expensive as new...hahaha...

As an owner of 2 model 3s I had the same thought but rego costs are usually calculated on delivery. Called and asked the advisor and they said that final invoice will show the updated LCT price. They said they legally can’t show projected changes to govt fees until the effective date which makes sense but if I order today I will see the taxes and fees based on my delivery date on the final invoice which is I’ll get a week or two before delivery.

This makes sense and will be third Tesla purchase in Aus. I have a M3P personally and an SR through my business. Still weighing up if my recently ordered MYP will be an addition or replacement

As an owner of 2 model 3s I had the same thought but rego costs are usually calculated on delivery. Called and asked the advisor and they said that final invoice will show the updated LCT price. They said they legally can’t show projected changes to govt fees until the effective date which makes sense but if I order today I will see the taxes and fees based on my delivery date on the final invoice which is I’ll get a week or two before delivery.

This makes sense and will be third Tesla purchase in Aus. I have a M3P personally and an SR through my business. Still weighing up if my recently ordered MYP will be an addition or replacement
thanks that is great news as that means that price should reduce by around $2k