Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y-LR in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't understand why they disabled the radar whilst is was still a backwards step in TACC's functionality.

I've seen just as many people say TACC is better without the false positives introduced by radar, as people saying it's worse.

And as with anything, people are much more likely to complain than praise.

The reason that I recall that the Tesla engineer gave on the YouTube interview was that it was because the radar unit introduced another point of complexity for supply chain and build

And other Tesla engineers have said it's because they were getting data from the radar which they couldn't correlate with the cameras, resulting in phantom braking.

they have turned it off in the US and UK before thae have had it working properly with Tesla Vision.
They removed the sensors altogether - which I agree was very premature.

The same thing happened with the refresh Model S which removed the rain and ambient-light sensors well before the software was ready to take over from the physical sensors.

I'm not saying Tesla don't make dumb decisions prematurely removing hardware, I'm saying they're unlikely to disable software unless it's interfering with the autopilot/self driving features the car itself uses.

But that's purely my own opinion/speculation.

And as with anything, people are much more likely to complain than praise.
To add another data point:

I only have 3000km with my YP, but so far there is no phantom braking.

Drove through highways quite often including also some dodgy two lane roads with 100km/h limit in pitch dark.

I wonder why experiences are so different, could it depend on how the cameras were calibrated early on? I remember it took a while to complete my calibration

• Informative
Reactions: [Zombie]
For those who have already had their VIN assigned and would like to change their order to Model Y Long Range, there seems to be a cut-off date for Tesla sales agents to process this change without losing your order fee - 11/04/2023.

For those who have already had their VIN assigned and would like to change their order to Model Y Long Range, there seems to be a cut-off date for Tesla sales agents to process this change without losing your order fee - 11/04/2023.
Why would they have a fixed date for cutoff when everyone's dates, wait times and delivery schedules are so wildly different? I just don't understand unless perhaps they have been bending the internal rules on this and have been told to stop doing so. I know some (like me) are 'downgrading' from MYP to MYLR, but there are also those who are 'upgrading' from RWD and a few wanting to switch over from Model 3's as well.

Why would they have a fixed date for cutoff when everyone's dates, wait times and delivery schedules are so wildly different? I just don't understand unless perhaps they have been bending the internal rules on this and have been told to stop doing so. I know some (like me) are 'downgrading' from MYP to MYLR, but there are also those who are 'upgrading' from RWD and a few wanting to switch over from Model 3's as well.
I don't understand the logic, either. It was not worth arguing as I made it before the "cut-off date", and they said they would happily raise a case for me. Come next Wednesday, and there may be some updates on this forum from those who engage with Tesla for an order change.

I don't understand the logic, either. It was not worth arguing as I made it before the "cut-off date", and they said they would happily raise a case for me. Come next Wednesday, and there may be some updates on this forum from those who engage with Tesla for an order change.
Pure speculation - Maybe it's a cut off for the the older orders jumping the queue? Aka you can still switch after that, but won't go to the front/ keep your place?

I passed up picking up a MYP last week to get a MYLR and save $13K. Based on my experience with the MYP:

i. Build Date 28 JAN
ii. Left Shanghai 20 FEB +3wk
iii. Landed Singapore 28 FEB +1wk
iv. Left Singapore 30 MAR +4wk
v. Landed Perth 5 APR +1wk

Total delay from VIN (when it leaves Shanghai) = 9 weeks
Assuming they don't build the MYLRs for a couple of weeks we're talking July-August

Reactions: Power Hungry