Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model Y will kill the crossover competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Especially when charging network and speed becomes better. But people will always chase that high number status though

Unless you can drive 500 miles without using the bathroom or stopping for food I don't see the value or status in a high number.

As it is now my X charges faster than I can stop and eat at a fast food place and use the bathroom.

But back to the topic, I expect the Y to sell like hotcakes, dwarfing the sales of the Model 3 Just like CUVs outsell sedans from other manufactures.

Unless you can drive 500 miles without using the bathroom or stopping for food I don't see the value or status in a high number.

As it is now my X charges faster than I can stop and eat at a fast food place and use the bathroom.

That is exactly the problem. The range is too short to match the driver's needs to stop. There have been times when I had too much to drink and so stopped before reaching the Supercharger. But I don't want to stop and eat every three hours. I'd like to drive some 300+ miles before charging and being able to get a proper meal, not a fast food burger.

Partly this is about more than the car's range. If I can drive 250 miles, that would be 3.5 hours at highway speeds. But if the chargers are at 100, 200 and 300 miles, i have to stop at the 200 mile charger. It's not uncommon to have to stop at even less travel distance because the range doesn't match the charger locations very well.

But back to the topic, I expect the Y to sell like hotcakes, dwarfing the sales of the Model 3 Just like CUVs outsell sedans from other manufactures.

That would be nice, but we will have to wait and see. It seems very reasonable that the model Y sales will eat into the model 3 sales. People buy the 3 because it is literally the only option in the US if you want proper range and trip charging. Europe has some other options, but I don't think anyone else has an affordable car with a reasonable range. When the Y comes online it can't help but steal sales from the model 3. I expect we will see this maybe two quarters before the Y comes out. Heck, I believe this past quarter reported lower numbers for the model 3 in the US although I would not try to connect that to the Y being out within the year, but who knows?

Reactions: Arctic_White

You did bring up a great point. I recently watched a YouTube take a 900 miles trip and she stopped every 1.5 to 2 hours or so to supercharge and time for bathroom break or snack or meal break anyways. Having 500 miles is only useful if you are driving through desert without anything insight. But so we have those specific situations often enough to warrant 500+ miles?

At 80 mph range is still shorter than desirable.

I agree that the Y will sell well. The interesting question is how many ICE CUV buyers the new model pulls in. The model 3 has sold well despite the trunck because it was the affordable Tesla. We don't know how many people are waiting on the CUV body style.

The cost of the model Y will still be a major limiting factor. IMO rapid adoption will take the Model Y AWD priced closer to $40K.

Model Y will kill ICE competitions like Macan, Q5, X5, GLC class and RX, MDX in performance and value. Some of those companies will come out with electric versions but judging from what we've seen they are still way behind Tesla and not going to be able to have truly competitive EV models.

As for range if you don't think 300 miles is enough then you should not consider an EV anyway. It will only be your loss.

Reactions: Ciaopec
The VW cross-over will be cheaper, have the full tax rebate and a more traditional configuration. I will probably trade in my Model 3 to get Carplay/Android Auto, AWD and 300 mi range. If Tesla finally evolves from a proprietary nav to support the cross-brand Carplay/Auto, I might change my mind. It annoys me every time I drive my Tesla that my media/maps are not supported.

The VW cross-over will be cheaper, have the full tax rebate and a more traditional configuration. I will probably trade in my Model 3 to get Carplay/Android Auto, AWD and 300 mi range. If Tesla finally evolves from a proprietary nav to support the cross-brand Carplay/Auto, I might change my mind. It annoys me every time I drive my Tesla that my media/maps are not supported.

So you can't use any media or maps in your Tesla?
Are you sure?

The Model Y and Semi are the two future vehicles I'm most curious about.

The Tesla Semi doesn't get enough attention. It will blast the trucking industry like a tornado and leave wreckage all over the place. The only question is how fast Tesla can ramp production. Unless it's pure skepticism over the expected final specs, I don't understand why the Semi doesn't get more attention.

We all know the Model Y will quickly become Tesla's best seller and stay there indefinitely. When my wife (who is not a Tesla fan at all) first saw the Model Y, she wanted me to trade in my Model 3 for one.

• Love
Reactions: EinSV and Watts_Up
That is exactly the problem. The range is too short to match the driver's needs to stop. There have been times when I had too much to drink and so stopped before reaching the Supercharger. But I don't want to stop and eat every three hours. I'd like to drive some 300+ miles before charging and being able to get a proper meal, not a fast food burger.

Partly this is about more than the car's range. If I can drive 250 miles, that would be 3.5 hours at highway speeds. But if the chargers are at 100, 200 and 300 miles, i have to stop at the 200 mile charger. It's not uncommon to have to stop at even less travel distance because the range doesn't match the charger locations very well.

Fortunately Tesla is improving the density of superchargers on major corridors. Using suercharge.info, a California example from SF Bay Area to LA area:
  • A Livermore, CA (Start)
  • B Gustine, CA (73.1 miles)
  • C Harris Ranch, CA (74.6 miles)
  • D Kettleman City, CA (26.5 miles)
  • E Buttonwillow, CA (52.7 miles)
  • F Bakersfield, CA (5.7 miles)
  • G Tejon Ranch, CA (35.3 miles)
  • H Santa Clarita, CA (56.0 miles)
  • I Burbank-North Third St, CA (26.7 miles)
Map.JPG

Note: Green dots are my hope/expectation for future infill.

So you can't use any media or maps in your Tesla?
Are you sure?

I can use the proprietary map function that Tesla provides, but it doesn't do Waze or integrate with Google maps like Andriod Auto does.

My phone mapping autoloads addresses from my calendar and e-mail too so I am not searching with Android Auto. Just better to have everything in one environment since I switch around cars with my travel regularly. My wife hates when I use her Tesla and mess up her media settings too. Plain and simply, the context of my life is in my phone and not my car. Perhaps others are different.

Plain and simply, the context of my life is in my phone and not my car.
That is a really good way of putting it. I would also like a tighter integration with what is on my phone. We recently rented a Dodge Caravan for a road trip, and only being able to stream music via bluetooth, no car play, no android auto, was just a horrible experience. That said, it won't deter me from buying a Tesla. There are trade offs, I would love a heads up display, but I doubt Tesla will ever have one, as why do you need to know how fast you are going if the car is driving itself. So I will live with the built in music streaming. My lifestyle doesn't require that I know where I am going via my phone, so not that big of a sacrifice. If you do depend on your phone for that, then absolutely support one of the other manufacturers bringing over BEVs.

Reactions: lnsh
That is a really good way of putting it. I would also like a tighter integration with what is on my phone. We recently rented a Dodge Caravan for a road trip, and only being able to stream music via bluetooth, no car play, no android auto, was just a horrible experience. That said, it won't deter me from buying a Tesla. There are trade offs, I would love a heads up display, but I doubt Tesla will ever have one, as why do you need to know how fast you are going if the car is driving itself. So I will live with the built in music streaming. My lifestyle doesn't require that I know where I am going via my phone, so not that big of a sacrifice. If you do depend on your phone for that, then absolutely support one of the other manufacturers bringing over BEVs.

It bugs me so much, I drive my Chevy Bolt unless I need AWD. The AWD VW next year will have me dumping Tesla except when I drive my wife's car. For her, car-context is fine as she only ever drives the one. My big city travel uses public transport, scooters etc. so I rely on phone context.

I can use the proprietary map function that Tesla provides, but it doesn't do Waze or integrate with Google maps like Andriod Auto does.

My phone mapping autoloads addresses from my calendar and e-mail too so I am not searching with Android Auto. Just better to have everything in one environment since I switch around cars with my travel regularly. My wife hates when I use her Tesla and mess up her media settings too. Plain and simply, the context of my life is in my phone and not my car. Perhaps others are different.

Ok it seems you want some sort of phone integration with the car's UI.

But like you I switch cars all the time including for work sometimes & my lifeline is my phone, so working off my phone & all the navigation & communication apps provides me with more options that I never even think of replicating the screen onto a car's screen.

Too much hassle. Plus my phone's screen is big enough to not have to worry that I would lose anything.

I guess this is one of those nothing burgers.

Kinda like when people whine about Apple's Homekit never being integrated with various smart home devices & I'm scratching my head thinking, my home is darn smart as is with Google or Alexa....