Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my 3 arrives I'll be able to say I have indeed been saving up for it for years, not unlike @wdolson. I'm going to try hard to not be offended and not make either my interrogator or myself uncomfortable when conversation inevitably shifts toward finances. (I suppose I have a year or two to figure out a good response tactic.) It's going to be the "cheap Tesla," but a lot of people I know have never bought a brand new vehicle, and their used "finds" have always done marvelously for much less than new. Hard to justify a new car for that reason, but ... it's a Tesla ... :p

When people talk about how much a car costs to buy, they never consider how much it costs to run. I'm only familiar with the Australian context of fuel/electricity prices, etc. but if someone spends A$3000 a year in petrol, an equivalent electric car will cost them about A$1000 a year. If they keep the car for 10 years then they need to allow for a A$20k difference in costs.

Reactions: int32_t
My wife is a pediatric audiologist. Most people don't realize what that is other than she works at a hospital, so when I'm asked what I do in order to afford a Tesla I just say I married a Dr. In reality, I make more than my wife. I've been at my job for 14+ years, advancing position every few years. My wife is catching up to me pretty quickly though.

My responses when somebody asks why I spent so much:

"i made an investment in saving the planet. Solar panels on my roof generate more than enough electricity to power the car, so it is truly emissions free."

or

"Many people say they will buy an electric car when (fill in the blank) happens, whether that be more range, faster charging or whatever. Well, none of those things will happen unless somebody starts. Tesla started. I'm very fortunate to have the means to help them keep going."

Rather than getting offended at the impolite question, I look at it as an opportunity to educate people on the mission of the company. The vast majority of the public has no concept of buying this car for any other reason than it being a cool car.

1. "Wellll, it wasn't cheap, but it's a first model, kind of like those first SmartPhones or flat screen TVs. They're coming down in price just as fast though, while improving."
    • (Take phone from back pocket as example and observe knowing nods) "A year from now, we should be about to start seeing Model III which will start at $35,000..."
  2. "I never was in the market for a luxury car so for 35 years I've driven hand-me-downs, fix-er-ups, junkers & clunkers so I guess I was saving up for this without knowing it...
    • then Tesla sneaked up on me... while researching for family, I realized someone was making MY car. And I'd been compromising on cars since I was 12."
But sometimes, for a shorter story - "I got out of oil stocks and bought TSLA when I smelled what Elon was cooking. This is my Midlife Crisis purchase" :)

1. "Wellll, it wasn't cheap, but it's a first model, kind of like those first SmartPhones or flat screen TVs. They're coming down in price just as fast though, while improving."

Sadly, the original iphone sold for $600.
A 16GB 6S was selling for $750, so not sure you want to hold smartphones up as the role model for your example.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Eh, I've had a few less than elegant questions about price, but some people are knowledgeable.

-One of the teachers at my sons preschool "what car is that?"
Me: Tesla
Her: Wait, isn't it really expensive?
Me: <dumbfounded> uh, it could be

-Random people at least 3-4 times
Them: "How much does that car cost?"
Me: <some variant of> They start at ~$60k after incentives and go over $150k

-Coworker
Him: Hey, was that your Tesla I saw in the morning?
Me: yeah... (getting ready for questions)
Him: Cool, I saw one at the showroom recently. It's truly an awesome car. Most people don't understand that the initial investment is a lot, but then over time it's cheaper to own than a gas car
Me: Totally agree, fuel costs, maintenance, etc.

My wife is a pediatric audiologist. Most people don't realize what that is other than she works at a hospital, so when I'm asked what I do in order to afford a Tesla I just say I married a Dr. In reality, I make more than my wife. I've been at my job for 14+ years, advancing position every few years. My wife is catching up to me pretty quickly though.

Does your wife have anything professional to say about the reduced noise in the Tesla being more healthy for kids hearing?

Reactions: Pkmmte