Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors in talks with German Government - Elon talks to Sigmar, Berlin Sept.24th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I interpret the conclusion of the interview at 53:34 by the German minister as:
German car builders are not ready yet for electric cars and they will definitely not support Tesla so that they can get more market share in Germany/Europe. The economy of Germany is way to depended on car-export. Supercharger network as a standard and having German companies pay for the use of it? Definitely not! Let's make a separate charger network that works better with European cars... And when VW/BMW/Mercedes have a good EV-alternative, we'll think about subsidizing zero-emission cars.
;)

If my math is right??? Or, are you using a different math ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5KVE4IiSJn6C65vCZ2CqFQ7GeIQDlBQro_mRZK6nQt1GIrbgA.jpg

Every time Musk gives a range to a deadline either Tesla just barely makes the end of the range or it misses the deadline entirely.

Tesla Motors in talks with German Government - Elon talks to Sigmar, Berlin S...

Thank you for that link. Now if only they had included the German-to-English audio feed that Elon was getting through his earpiece so I could understand the questions and the answers of the German participant. I listened to Elon's opening remarks, which to those of us who follow him closely were of course nothing new, and his answer to the first question, in which he was very polite to his hosts but said nothing new, and then it went back to German and I got sleepy [emoji6]
You are lucky. The Germans just uploaded a version without translations

Last edited:
Ouch, Model 3 just slipped to Q1 2018.

Maybe or maybe not. My guess is the Signature Model 3 or the highest version of the Model 3 will be delivered in 2017, but that volume deliveries won't happen until early 2018. Tesla is seeing amazing demand for the Powerwall. If Tesla needs to move back deliveries, it will probably be because Tesla is giving priority to battery storage.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5KVE4IiSJn6C65vCZ2CqFQ7GeIQDlBQro_mRZK6nQt1GIrbgA.jpg

Every time Musk gives a range to a deadline either Tesla just barely makes the end of the range or it misses the deadline entirely.

OK then why don't you start a EV company and build one for $35-$40 k by 2017-2018. ???

A lot of people on these boards are smart money and hard workers too, I'm sure ! So, I say just Do it!!!

But, you know there are many variables and it's not that easy ! I'd be super happy if he met the end point on that range , say Dec 29, 2017 for a few hundred cars!

It is a few years away, so it's tough to be sure , for any car manufacturer. Just give the guy a break ...we
dont want him to come down with any health issues do we ?

Thank you for that link. Now if only they had included the German-to-English audio feed that Elon was getting through his earpiece so I could understand the questions and the answers of the German participant. I listened to Elon's opening remarks, which to those of us who follow him closely were of course nothing new, and his answer to the first question, in which he was very polite to his hosts but said nothing new, and then it went back to German and I got sleepy [emoji6]

I translated some here. Must admit that I realized it was too much work after a while and didn´t do everything, but if you are interested in a certain translation, just post the time in the video and I´ll do it.

Today, Musk is meeting the Flemish minister-president and the mayor of Antwerp. Flemish press reports that Tesla will start to look for European production capacity next year and that Flanders is in the top 5 of possible locations. I think it's just sweet talk and nothing serious though.

The German minister left in a hurry, and got into a disagreement with Elon, very interesting.

Does he have a short position on the stock?

Something got lost in translation , and the question / answer session was one huge cognitive dissonance
experience.

The German minister left in a hurry, and got into a disagreement with Elon, very interesting.

Something got lost in translation , and the question / answer session was one huge cognitive dissonance
experience.

I don't think this was likely to be anything as nefarious as a short position in TSLA.

It could be a national pride issue. Germany is used to being at the top in terms of luxury cars, and Tesla is challenging that status.

The minister got in a flap about nothing.

Elon said that correcting the unpriced externality of carbon emissions (preferably with a carbon tax, though subsidies can also work) will cause investors to move their positions away from carbon emitting industries, because it will then be in their best financial interests to do so. That's a perfectly reasonable answer to the question the minister claimed wasn't answered, and in no way suggests government should help line the pockets of or underwrite the risks of investors as the minister insisted it did.

My thoughts at that point were along the lines of "shut up, you [redacted]."

The multi-question, general answer format was also stupid, and Elon was clearly bemused by it. I doubt he'll want to work with that moderator again.

Last edited:

experience.

He was being asked to leave for a while before he actually did because he had a meeting on the refugee situation. So he did stay longer than he was supposed to. The host said that Elon could stay and answer more questions after the session officially ended as there were obviously many people who wanted to take the opportunity to discuss with him (his assistants said he did have more time), that explains why they did not leave together in a more orderly fashion.

Point me to the scene where you sensed the dissonance, I´ll be glad to translate.

- - - Updated - - -

My thoughts at that point were along the lines of "shut up, you stupid fatass."

Very charming.

Between the refugee issues and the VW mess and a collapsing stock market , i am sure he is holed up in a "situation room".
I am certain he is not allowed to hold positions in any stock, usually given to a blind trust equivalent.
The pricing of carbon emissions at zero makes no sense, once you price it to include the cost of the externalities ,
the market will adjust on its own, gave set match, strictly free market club rules.

If all you have is a rebuke about my tone, I'll be sustaining it. That really is what I thought at the time.

I agree with most of you post, but I don´t find it o.k. to talk about a senior representative of another country like that on an international forum like TMC. I believe you were thinking that, and Mr. Gabriel is not an intellectual match to Elon (then again, who is?) - but sometimes it is better not posting all you think. Not worth more of a discussion though.