Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well on my drive home the tire pressure sensor notification went on. When I tried to see reset them, the entire screen went into some sort multicolour pixels display. That was a first I have ever had that that but on the bright side, music and voice command worked.
I saw this same redraw problem with the save profile dialog just before I had the daughterboard changed. It was at least 4 years old (bought the car in 2016), possibly original. The MCU was definitely showing other signs of imminent failure (sluggishness, slow reboots, occasional reboots, etc).

In France, I am struggling with the issues mentioned in this thread. Tesla have diagnosed MCU problem - this will be the third MCU for my less than 6 year old Model S.

The part is described in the pro-forma as:

upload_2020-9-8_21-37-12.png

No technical details given by Tesla so I do not know if this is "improved" from what I have had before. No idea if it has 8GB, 32GB or 64GB memory. Tesla suggested to me that this was a redesigned MCU. From what I can see, there was an MCU0, an MCU1 and now the MCU2 (Model S and Model X : Tesla MCU differences). Whatever it is, it is clearly a Tegra offering that I am being fitted with in late 2020. I was not offered the MCU2 upgrade - not offered here in Europe, I gather. I am paying under protest - any car's electronic component should not require repeated replacing like this....

Reactions: Ron Burgundy
Okay, so the Service Center replaced my daughter board today per my request. They used the new 64 GB version - it took two weeks to come in. They would not let me keep the old card without a $500 core charge (which is ridiculous as the new card is only $120 - they just don't want you to sell it I guess).

Since I was replacing the DB preemptively there was not a $195 diagnostic fee. Total cost was $342 and they gave me a rental car for the day. Very professional service from the new Sterling, VA SC.

The only glitch was that they were unable to backup and restore my settings so I had to reset the driver profiles, home link, etc. Bummed me out since I had trip B set from day one and was monitoring my watt hours per mile over the life of the car (just under 300 at 60K miles) - oh well.

Saved the $200 fee and possible future headaches. All in all I am glad I did this.

Oh, everyone asks if it feels faster or better. Maybe. It is not slow and I am very happy with the response of the system. I see no need to upgrade the MCU currently (I will watch Netflix on my iPad :)

Okay, so the Service Center replaced my daughter board today per my request. They used the new 64 GB version - it took two weeks to come in. They would not let me keep the old card without a $500 core charge (which is ridiculous as the new card is only $120 - they just don't want you to sell it I guess).

Since I was replacing the DB preemptively there was not a $195 diagnostic fee. Total cost was $342 and they gave me a rental car for the day. Very professional service from the new Sterling, VA SC.

The only glitch was that they were unable to backup and restore my settings so I had to reset the driver profiles, home link, etc. Bummed me out since I had trip B set from day one and was monitoring my watt hours per mile over the life of the car (just under 300 at 60K miles) - oh well.

Saved the $200 fee and possible future headaches. All in all I am glad I did this.

Oh, everyone asks if it feels faster or better. Maybe. It is not slow and I am very happy with the response of the system. I see no need to upgrade the MCU currently (I will watch Netflix on my iPad :)

Can you listen to joe rogan podcast without it crashing?

• Funny
Reactions: Trebek1762

I also did the daughter board replacement preemptively. Was able to keep my original tegra board upon request no core charge. Though I guess I can use only for back up purpose? Selling it seems like a risky idea since the eMMC has personal cert files specific to your vehicle no? Not sure what else is stored on that board. They had at first a weird $87.50 diagnostic fee. I reminded them that I'm doing a preventative self diagnosed and they removed it.

PS: Unrelated to this thread but a reminder. If you have a dashcam they always disconnect when taking in for service but never reconnect it for you. On the way home from service on the freeway a tie down strap goes flying in the air and hits my car. When I get home I see 2 dents on my hood. :( PSA remember to reconnect your dashcam.

My 2017 Model S MCU went out at the weekend, when away with the family, and my signals would not work. Which i discovered when turning off highway 101 going down hill, and was almost rear-ended by the car behind oblivious to me turning.

The SC just told me they reset the corrupted memory chip, and I should pick it up, and they would only consider replacing the daughter card if it happened again. I could not believe their reluctance after what was a serious safety issue, to tell me I had suck it and see.

They are insisting I pay $410, which I will, as it was a scary incident i do not want to repeat, given it seems inevitable the original chip will fail again.

Feel a bit betrayed by Tesla.

My 2017 Model S MCU went out at the weekend, when away with the family, and my signals would not work. Which i discovered when turning off highway 101 going down hill, and was almost rear-ended by the car behind oblivious to me turning.

The SC just told me they reset the corrupted memory chip, and I should pick it up, and they would only consider replacing the daughter card if it happened again. I could not believe their reluctance after what was a serious safety issue, to tell me I had suck it and see.

They are insisting I pay $410, which I will, as it was a scary incident i do not want to repeat, given it seems inevitable the original chip will fail again.

Lol tesla

My Tegra replacement is quickly becoming a fiasco. Booked preventive replacement of Tegra board 8/14. Tegra ordered 8/16. Service appointment pushed multiple times as they couldn't get a board until 9/9.

Dropped the car off yesterday 9/9 which was a bad experience in itself (no response to touchless check in. Asked two employees walking around outside for help, both promised someone would call me. No one ever did). Finally got a text 45 minutes later that they would pull the car into the SC.

After that nothing. My texts to the service advisor never got a response.

Next morning (now) I finally get a response that they're "looking into an issue with the replacement part". Wonder if they don't even have the replacement Tegra?

Update 1: Got text that my MCU is too old to be compatible for Tegra swap???? Wtf?

Update 2: So apparently early cars can't use the Tegra replacement board. Mine is built July 2013. VIN in the mid-15K range.

Yep. Fiasco.

Last edited:

I apparently had the same problem but I they replaced nothing. The car had 4 days left on the original 4 year warranty when the screen went blank.