Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla originally billed us $35 for checking air pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buy something like this and do it yourself: https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Portable-Compressor-Digital-Inflator/dp/B01L9WSTEG/

Then double-check with a good tire pressure gauge.

You seem to have missed the point of the thread. He didn't ask them to check his pressure. They just put a charge on there for a service he didn't request.

Buying something like that doesn't tell the OP how to avoid the charge or get Tesla to stop charging people for that against their will.

Here's a copy of my invoice from a tire puncture repair earlier this month at the Santa Clara SC:

TeslaInvoiceTireRepair.jpg

I didn't ask them to inflate the tires to 45psi (I usually kept them at 42-43) but it's their spec. Also wasn't charged with topping off the windshield fluid.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Tesla Mobile was out to our house earlier this month (our license plate holders were in our Model 3 when it went in for Due Bill but not returned with them when the car was picked up and my license plates had arrived and needed to be displayed—temp tags expired). They did a tire pressure and thread check at that time and told me it was California mandated. We received the email with the invoice and the check and adjust tire pressure was a goodwill item. OP I think the service center coded it wrong.

It’s just an user error. Someone hit the wrong key.

Air check is mandated for all services and it’s free. My cars been to service a total of 8 times now and each time they checked my tire pressure, it was free. Always listed on the service bill as $0.

They will change it for you when you pick up the car. I have things that listed Customer Pay but it was free. They just didn’t have the right code in their system for the SKU. They even changed both my wipers blades and alignments for free. They are not trying to Nickel and Dime us.

BTW - if you are parked with the brakes on or if in the "hold" mode the front wheels are locked and can't turn, If you turn the wheel left or right fully when locked, because the wheel isn't pivoting on the center of the contact, the suspension raises or lowers to take up the change in geometry. The force of the springs can then push the wheel so it slips while it is locked. So you might feel a sudden bind and hear a squeal from the rubber. This is normal. However, if you are moving or the wheels are turning freely you should be able to turn left and right fully without any binding or noise.

• Informative
Reactions: RKBA
Ok, that is good. I was going to take the morning off from work to deal with this, but I will go back to my wife taking it in with a copy of that. Anyone in California ever have this on a work order?
In almost 5 years of Tesla ownership I’m pretty certain I’ve never been charged for that. I think it’s a mistake. I would politely point it out to your service center and ask them to delete the charge.

I took delivery of our second Model 3 three weeks ago. After the delivery agent left my house I took the car for a drive and found the steering wheel binding, emitting a loud squeal when turned. They had me bring the car to the Marina Del Rey delivery center and they could not fix it so they made me an appointment for warranty service at the Van Nuys Service Center.

Tomorrow morning is my appointment and this afternoon I received a service estimate by email that includes diagnosing the steering wheel problem at no cost, but they are hitting me up for a $35 service charge for checking tire air pressure under the heading of California required pressure check.

This law that has been around since 2010, but Tesla appears to now be making this a new profit center. I did not have this fee when I brought my first Model 3 in for a software problem. Anyone else in California been hit up for this fee? This feels like a shakedown. I tried to call the Tesla service, but after being on hold for 15 minutes I gave up and hung up.

Tire Pressure Program

How difficult is it to check/top up the air in Model-3 tires?? If it's easy, then do it yourself, all the best.

I own a Mercedes S class and a BMW, my wife takes her Mercedes to the dealer often to get her tires checked and they don't even write up a ticket for it. The guy behind the counter as a portable inflator that he pulls over is fills up the tires. Also they have a sign that saids to "pull forward slowly, tire check" so the dealer has some sort of automated check. The same is for my BMW. I'm thinking it must me some sort of mistake.

Really ? For $35 ?
Assuming this isn't snark.

It's not the $35 that's the issue, really. The issue is that this car is new, and a relationship is developing between the customer and the service center. If it's already going wrong, that doesn't bode well for either the owner or Tesla.

As a woman, I've had bad service over the years, and I am very vocal about telling people about it. There were cars I didn't buy because there was only one place to service them in town, and after a majorly bad experience I vowed I would never have anything to do with them again. Likewise, if I have a good experience, I share it whenever possible. The Brentwood, TN service center has been wonderful, but then we don't have state mandated air pressure checks. We barely have state mandated insurance.

Update, My wife took the car in today and she brought up the charge. The service guy was real nice about it and when she brought it up he kind of implied that the charge is automatically added, but they won't put it on the work order Then she pulled out the law that someone posted earlier in the replies and she flipped to the page with the exception and the rep was kind of shocked she had that. He said don't worry about it, it will be taken care of. There is the answer, I suppose it is automatically added to work orders, but up to the service advisor whether they actually charge it.

• Informative
Reactions: MXWing