Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla originally billed us $35 for checking air pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's automatically added to every single work order. Even in Texas every single work order states CA mandated tire pressure check. Instead of Good Will someone hit the charge button and it charged .3 hours

Why is anyone manually checking the tire pressure at all? The tire pressure is shown on the touch screen!

By coincidence I checked mine today on the touch screen. One of my tires was reading 84PSI according to the car. I thought to myself "That cant be right". I checked it with a gauge when I got home. Sure enough it was right.

I am now asking questions to find out who did that to my tire.

By coincidence I checked mine today on the touch screen. One of my tires was reading 84PSI according to the car. I thought to myself "That cant be right". I checked it with a gauge when I got home. Sure enough it was right.

The car should have been immediately alerting for that. Were any messages displayed?

84PSI??? I'd be worried that the tires would be damaged or explode at that pressure. How's the ride quality?

I cant stop laughing, they actually passed a tire pressure check law in Calf? You got to be kidding me.
My SC checks my tire wear and pressure everytime i drive in and adds air free.
You got to love the Calf congress.
Giggles
We have no vehicle inspections in CA. The condition of many of the cars on the road here is shocking. Most people probably don't even own a tire pressure gauge.

That psi # is awfully high. Wow good thing you didn't have a blowout.

We only have smog inspections in Calif for air polluting cars. With so many service stations pulling out air pumps awhile back because they didn't want to pay for the electricity to run and maintain them, Calif stepped in with legislation to require them but allow them to charge for air or require a purchase at the station. Seemed to have hit a happy medium with station owners and give car owners the ability to add air to their tires which of course the State deemed a safety issue. As somewhat ridiculous as legislation on air goes, I'm glad we have air pumps to use. If cars go in for service of some kind I like that they are at least then getting their tires properly inflated and thread checked. Too many people postpone maintenance on cars and maybe this helps cut down breakdowns along the highway to some degree. At speeds and amount of traffic out there, pretty dangerous to be a stranded car out there.

Reactions: SanMan
I took delivery of our second Model 3 three weeks ago. After the delivery agent left my house I took the car for a drive and found the steering wheel binding, emitting a loud squeal when turned. They had me bring the car to the Marina Del Rey delivery center and they could not fix it so they made me an appointment for warranty service at the Van Nuys Service Center.

Tomorrow morning is my appointment and this afternoon I received a service estimate by email that includes diagnosing the steering wheel problem at no cost, but they are hitting me up for a $35 service charge for checking tire air pressure under the heading of California required pressure check.

This law that has been around since 2010, but Tesla appears to now be making this a new profit center. I did not have this fee when I brought my first Model 3 in for a software problem. Anyone else in California been hit up for this fee? This feels like a shakedown. I tried to call the Tesla service, but after being on hold for 15 minutes I gave up and hung up.

Tire Pressure Program

Why not complain to the state about the stupid law? Tesla can't afford to give away services below costs...especially in California where their tire pressure guy probably gets paid $35 per hour.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dmagyar and brkaus
I took delivery of our second Model 3 three weeks ago. After the delivery agent left my house I took the car for a drive and found the steering wheel binding, emitting a loud squeal when turned. They had me bring the car to the Marina Del Rey delivery center and they could not fix it so they made me an appointment for warranty service at the Van Nuys Service Center.

Tomorrow morning is my appointment and this afternoon I received a service estimate by email that includes diagnosing the steering wheel problem at no cost, but they are hitting me up for a $35 service charge for checking tire air pressure under the heading of California required pressure check.

This law that has been around since 2010, but Tesla appears to now be making this a new profit center. I did not have this fee when I brought my first Model 3 in for a software problem. Anyone else in California been hit up for this fee? This feels like a shakedown. I tried to call the Tesla service, but after being on hold for 15 minutes I gave up and hung up.

Tire Pressure Program

I had a small scratch on my hood when my M3 was delivered to my home at the end of September. Took it into the service center recently to get that fixed. Got the car after three weeks (long story). The service center did what they call a complimentary courtesy inspection which included CA mandated tyre pressure check. Do not pay them a penny. Escalate to the service center manager of required.

• Disagree
Reactions: NCIC
I know it's not the point of this thread, but I bought one of these from Amazon during a gold box a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. It's always a pain having to get in line at QT or Costco for free air, and there's a part of me that will always refuse to pay $1 for air at most of the other gas stations around here (it's air!). Quieter and far more convenient than the traditional noise makers/compressors.

I am not saying they should charge for checking pressure, I was saying at $35 no profit is happening.

With the onslaught of 3 owners I can see a $35 charge being implemented to encourage folks to do it themselves.
Also shops(general not Tesla specific) have been known to have variable billing based on interactions with the guy writing the bill.

I think you ALL are missing the point.

Correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Chargeup, but I think you were saying you NEVER asked Tesla Service to check the tire pressure but were in to check the steering noise, correct? They checked the pressure without asking, correct? If the answers are YES, then Tesla is pulling a fast one using the tire pressure law! I take my other cars for service and have NEVER had the happen!!!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: arathald
I have a love-hate relationship with Tesla. First, I love my S100 (upgraded from S75). It's truly the first car I have ever owned that enjoy driving day after day, after day. I hate my S100, because it's the second Tesla I've owned that has tires (Goodyears) that constantly lose tire pressure. Why is that? I have never owned a car that requires tires being topped up every 7-10 days. Also, tire related, I just had my first tire rotation on my S100. Prior to rotation, I called Tesla for an appointment (first one appointment was two months out!) and found out the first rotation wasn't free, when the first, and only, rotation on my S75 was. So, I took my car over to my tire shop that is familiar with Teslas. I watch him place the floor jack exactly under each lift point of the car. No appointment and no waiting, he rotated all four tires and checked the pressures in less than 15 minutes. $20 - cash. BTW, flash your Costco card and they will be happy to check and adjust your pressures for free, even if they have a self-serve compressor pump attached to the outside of the building.

Reactions: Dmagyar