Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 4.24.08 PM.png
I will still make a point having the key card in my wallet just in case. Does anyone know if just waving the wallet with the key card will work?
The manual says it will not. A tap against the door pillar is required.

View attachment 262748 The manual says it will not. A tap against the door pillar is required.

The RFID chip may work through a wallet depending on thickness and material. They typically have a range of 1" to 2" from the reader. The manual references these distances but also says that it may require physically touching the key to the B pillar or center console in some situations.

Reactions: pdxrob
As some kind of comparison, I looked back to the earliest Model S google spreadsheet available (q1-2014). 83 US entries were present while 3189 cars ended up beind delivered. So 2.6% of all deliveries were represented by that google spreadsheet.
For the last quarter (q3-2017), the same calculation leads to 1% of all US deliveries. As might be expected from a maturing market.

There are currently 37 entries in the M3 google spreadsheet. Although I wouldn't be too surprised if more get added next week.

An employee who took delivery told me that there was no NDA.

I know that we assumed there was an NDA. But, if not, why so little info from employees after deliveries? When the MS came out these forums exploded (no - employee deliveries were not first). But I would think, given the accolades from others about the new M3, that the employees would be gushing (interviews, talk shows, game shows, SNL, demeaning twitters, maybe a PBS segment).

I know that we assumed there was an NDA. But, if not, why so little info from employees after deliveries? When the MS came out these forums exploded (no - employee deliveries were not first). But I would think, given the accolades from others about the new M3, that the employees would be gushing (interviews, talk shows, game shows, SNL, demeaning twitters, maybe a PBS segment).

Antiselling. The risk of cannibalizing the S’s sales heavily in the short term.

Only 35 actually. You included the header row in your count

Someone removed doubles from the list, so we are down to 33. But, don't forget there is a different tab for those who are not yet configuring with another 5. So 38 invited so far. 20 of those we know for sure have ordered, although I know of at least three who have two reservations and have postponed the second one for a different configuration. In all, I suspect there is a very high uptake in the first batch. (>70%) Which makes sense because these are people who ordered first day, stood in line and are very motivated to get the car.

I don't know if somebody already posted it...
It seems so that all the configuration invites has been only sent to people with Oct-Dec estimate.

So Tesla seems to aim the latest month of our estimate.
They aren't aiming for a specific month. The people with the Oct - Dec estimates are the prior owners that stood in line on the 31st so they have the earliest estimates and are also at the front of the line, so they are the ones getting their invites first. The people getting their invites now are also, predominately, located in California too. There are plenty of other owners out there with the Oct - Dec estimates that haven't gotten their invites yet.

Just an fyi - I received my invite to order on the 22nd. 4 week delivery.

I originally put in two reservations and only one has been activated (I'm not complaining, I'm probably going to cancel the second reservation).

I am a owner (MS40 & MS70D), SoCal and stood in line (met Elon during the wait).

Reactions: augkuo and TQCLove
I will still make a point having the key card in my wallet just in case. Does anyone know if just waving the wallet with the key card will work?

View attachment 262748 The manual says it will not. A tap against the door pillar is required.

I can't find it right now, but somewhere on the etherweb there is a video of successfully using the keycard within a wallet.

I had a Model 3 for the day to film and I kept the key card in my wallet. Worked just fine, I just took my whole wallet out and tapped it to the B-pillar. I even put it behind several cards and it still worked. I do have a slim wallet though. If you had a really thick wallet, you might have issues.

I think I have video of me using the key card with my wallet. I will look for that video clip when I get home.

Thanks Erik