Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners, Let's Talk: Touchscreen vs. Physical Buttons - What's Your Take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you left out VOICE COMMANDS

can make touchscreen and physical buttons redundant
See this post:
For those who are slow on the uptake:
  • No official list of voice commands is available, just random complications that people have figured out
  • Voice commands have been removed by Tesla in the past
  • Voice commands are not consistent
  • Many obvious commands don't work ('turn on headlights' isn't available)
  • Voice commands require pretty strict syntax. Often times getting close doesn't matter
  • Voice commands are not reliable when there's a lot of background noise (if the defroster is on in my car they're useless)
  • Voice commands disturb others in the car (i.e. sleeping spouse)
  • Voice commands can't be used while talking on the phone
  • Voice commands interrupt music/pod casts
  • Voice commands don't work well if you have an accent
  • Voice commands don't work if you can't speak
  • Voice commands interrupt conversations you may be having with a passenger
  • Voice commands don't work if you don't have internet access
  • Voice commands don't work in all languages
So yeah, clearly voice commands are a perfect solution to incompetent UI design. :rolleyes:

BMWs especially, have a rubber coating on their buttons that eventually wear off. A button such as "Start" or many of the HVAC buttons strip off and become blank. Really ages the car and looks a mess.

Your statement that Tesla can "permanently designate software-defined buttons" misses a key point . It's physical buttons that are permanent. The biggest advantage of Tesla's touch interface is that it's changeable and can be reconfigured, so it is always available to improvements and additions via the software updates that we so love to anticipate. The ability to change and improve everything, is one of the unique advantages that Tesla holds. Also consider the sheer depth and number of available controls. It's simply not a system that physical buttons can support. Anyone remembers phones before touchscreens? How limited was that?
The touchscreen is both an asset and a liability. The biggest problem with a touch screen is that there’s no tactile feedback So you are forced to take your eyes off the road to use it. Tesla has also shown that UI design is not its strong point. The flip side is they can tweak and improve what they get wrong (which is also an asset and a liability since there’s less urgency to getting something right if you know you can go back and fix it.)

Personally, I think a combination approach is smartest. A few physical controls for features you need to use while driving and touch screen for the rest.

Tesla is advancing automotive design to achieve FSD vehicles. This means that the fewer buttons the better.

Take a look at the older space craft or air planes. They had so many buttons and switches, that only a highly trained professional could operate the crafts. Now, most all the buttons have been replaced with touch screens, making their operations much more automated and precise.

Every button or switch is a potential failure point. They rely on lots of wires, connections, routing and often fail and need replacing.

Every button or switch is a potential failure point. They rely on lots of wires, connections, routing and often fail and need replacing.

Display panels fail as well and then you are toast.

More importantly, I don't think anyone can deny that pressing a screen for a function doesn't always work on the first press, so that's a failure right there! When this happens while driving it is particularly frustrating and can be hazardous.

Display panels fail as well and then you are toast.

More importantly, I don't think anyone can deny that pressing a screen for a function doesn't always work on the first press, so that's a failure right there! When this happens while driving it is particularly frustrating and can be hazardous.
What critical functions require pushing the screen while driving?

Reactions: zoomer0056
Tesla is advancing automotive design to achieve FSD vehicles. This means that the fewer buttons the better.
The assumption that fewer buttons is better is not automatically true and is likely false. The key is good UI design.
Take a look at the older space craft or air planes. They had so many buttons and switches, that only a highly trained professional could operate the crafts. Now, most all the buttons have been replaced with touch screens, making their operations much more automated and precise.
Very poor analogy. It still takes just as much training to fly an airplane and there are still plenty of buttons and switches, even in 'glass cockpits.' (I'm speaking as a pilot in training)
Another poorly reasoned statement, see @SDRick 's post above. How often have you had a button fail in a car? I can't think of an instance in my 35 years of driving that I've had a switch fail. As @SDRick stated, a screen creates a single failure point. In the CyberTruck, Tesla reportedly switched everything over to digital can bus communication, reducing the amount of wires. The downside of this is if one wire breaks you loose everything rather than a single switch.

The assumption that fewer buttons is better is not automatically true and is likely false. The key is good UI design.

Very poor analogy. It still takes just as much training to fly an airplane and there are still plenty of buttons and switches, even in 'glass cockpits.' (I'm speaking as a pilot in training)

Another poorly reasoned statement, see @SDRick 's post above. How often have you had a button fail in a car? I can't think of an instance in my 35 years of driving that I've had a switch fail. As @SDRick stated, a screen creates a single failure point. In the CyberTruck, Tesla reportedly switched everything over to digital can bus communication, reducing the amount of wires. The downside of this is if one wire breaks you loose everything rather than a single switch.
I agree with you on switches, I have also never had one fail. Though the turn signal stalk did start to act a little funny in my rusted out 1987 Camry (in about 2008). But you (and tones of other people) seem to misunderstand the networking stuff. Most cars have been on CAN bus for 20 years for most things, including all the tactile switches. Cybertruck specifically seems to be moving away from CAN in favor of Ethernet-based communications between modules. Completely different standards, and a bit different network architecture. CAN (Controller Area Network) is a protocol that lets a bunch of devices on a bus communicate with each-other without a master. Ethernet generally requires a gateway. Elon's statements aside, we don't actually know yet how much of Cybertruck is actually on Ethernet and how much (if any) is actually still using CAN.

Reactions: sleepydoc
See this post:
For those who are slow on the uptake:
no one said they were perfect, just an expansion on the options.
yes, they have changed, rarely.

but when they work, they do work, and do lighten the burden of multi-layer dives into the touchscreen.
please, just acknowledge, and stop demanding everyone adhere to your view of the world.

no one said they were perfect, just an expansion on the options.
yes, they have changed, rarely.

but when they work, they do work, and do lighten the burden of multi-layer dives into the touchscreen.
please, just acknowledge, and stop demanding everyone adhere to your view of the world.
I never demanded that everyone adhere to my view of the world. I simply pointed out that voice commands have numerous shortcomings which make them completely incapable of replacing other interface modalities. yes, they can supplement but not substitute. This is not a view, but an absolute fact.

I don't believe I mentioned anything about critical functions. I said "I don't think anyone can deny that pressing a screen for a function doesn't always work on the first press, so that's a failure right there! When this happens while driving it is particularly frustrating and can be hazardous".

In any event, any time you need to press the screen while driving is not ideal, particularly on a bumpy road. This could be something as simple as selecting a radio station, changing to sport suspension or defrosting etc. I would say the "failure rate" requiring multiple presses are much higher on a screen than with a physical button.

Don't get me wrong, the screen is beautiful and has its place but I would prefer more actual buttons on the wheel and a few elsewhere especially if they were programmable.

I would argue defrosting. Some may say wipers, but I'm content with a mist button.

Before "auto headlights when raining", I thought being able to turn on lights was one. I'm okay with that auto feature though.

Things that help me see or be seen are critical to me

----

Also, voice commands? Really? Not for critical stuff. Would you rather press a button and say "Honk horn" or press a button to honk the horn? Save that stuff for turning on the radio or seeing the navigation

Last edited:
Reactions: SalisburySam
I would argue defrosting. Some may say wipers, but I'm content with a mist button.

Before "auto headlights when raining", I thought being able to turn on lights was one. I'm okay with that auto feature though.

----

Also, voice commands? Really? Not for critical stuff. Would you rather press a button and say "Honk horn" or press a button to honk the horn? Save that stuff for turning on the radio or seeing the navigation
where is "auto headlights when raining?" last I heard it was disabled and I haven't seen it come back. (I'm currently on 2023.27.12)

Automatic headlights with wipers has been back since 2023.26.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc

----

You may not like VC, but they cover both of the items you mentioned and work well. As far as the lights function, that's probably the one issue with the SW that I wish they had. Not sure why VC doesn't have a 'exterior lights on' command. At least they re-added the 'lights on when wipers on' function. Never understood why they took that away.

I haven’t had any trouble with the touchscreen. When I drive my wife’s Lexus I can’t believe how many buttons it has. It takes three or four button presses to set the cruise for example. I’m quite happy with the Model Y controls.
That has also been my experience when going back to a non-Tesla. So many buttons and switches spread across the dash. Some below eye level at your knees, some on the tiny 8" screen with an anemic Intel 8080 processor from the 70s, some up on the rearview mirror, etc. What are they thinking????

The worse is you have to manually turn off the car and lock the doors. When borrowing a relative's car several times I have swung the door closed and walked away. When I came back the car was idling with the doors unlocked even though I had the fob in my pocket. WTH? My wife drives a 3 so we never catch this when we both walk away. And worse, since my main car is an X with auto-present and auto-close doors, sometimes I come back to the driver door partially open!