Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners, Let's Talk: Touchscreen vs. Physical Buttons - What's Your Take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good debate here guys
I believe that Tesla is doing this to make their cars faster and less expensive to manufacturer. As they get closer (not ther yet) to Full Self Driving cars, the computer will most likely be doing all the normally button controled decisions. ie, A sensor will determine if a defroster should be turned on for a sensor or the windshield.
I will conceed that a center mounted horn button on the steering wheel should still be included.

We have mostly lost the battle of the manual clutch. For many, it was a writ of passage to master the stick shifting mechanism. Many of us long to be able to precisely determine the amount and rate of engagement of the pressure clutch. Now, of course, all that is taken care of by the computer.

A computer controled system, most of us favor, is the ability for our modern cars to be programmed with our custom configurations for seat positions, mirror positions, temperature and fan speed preferences, radio stations, steering wheel positioning, etc. Nice to simply slide into our drivers seats and have everything automagically reset to out preferences. Wifey gets hers as well.

Automatic headlights with wipers has been back since 2023.26.

Missed that in the release notes. Looks like there’s no actual setting for it, it’s enabled automatically when you set the headlights to ‘auto’

Touchscreen, it can be updated with a software update at any time. Physical buttons can't.

Most clearly understand the advantages of a touchscreen. You do realize there are also some limitations and disadvantages? Many like me like the screen but would also prefer a few more programmable buttons, perhaps on the wheel\yoke, under or alongside the touchscreen or console.

Enterprise gave me a Pacifica during a trip I had to take last week. The shifter is on a large dial on the central console. The volume dial is about 2 inches diagonally from the shifter dial. At one point during my drive, I was reaching for the volume and realized I had my hand on the shifter instead. I didn't turn it, and assume it would have been locked out at speed, but I thought it was a poor design choice to have the shifter so close to the volume button for the radio.

In general, I prefer dials for things like the air conditioner. I prefer steering wheel buttons for phone and music control. I'm fine with a touchscreen for the rest.

Enterprise gave me a Pacifica during a trip I had to take last week. The shifter is on a large dial on the central console. The volume dial is about 2 inches diagonally from the shifter dial. At one point during my drive, I was reaching for the volume and realized I had my hand on the shifter instead. I didn't turn it, and assume it would have been locked out at speed, but I thought it was a poor design choice to have the shifter so close to the volume button for the radio.

In general, I prefer dials for things like the air conditioner. I prefer steering wheel buttons for phone and music control. I'm fine with a touchscreen for the rest.
A classic example of poor design (is anyone surprised it was from Chrysler?) It doesn't matter if it's a button, a knob or a touchscreen. If it's not designed well it's just bad!

And in response to those who say voice commands are the answer:
Sadly, the headlights were in the Off position, not Auto so I sadly drove to church in the rain with no taillights. That's not my normal way of defensive driving (avoid hitting things and avoid being hit by idiots.) And I learned that Headlights ON is not a recognized command (it said that there were no headlights commands at this time.)

Fun little story related to that...

In 2018, Chrysler launched an ad campaign consisting of several videos for the Pacifica starring Kathryn Hahn. In the first video, Soccer Practice, she can be seen adjusting the volume at around 0:37. In the original version, she was clearly adjusting the volume using the shift knob. After viewers noticed and pointed this out, Chrysler had the video re-shot.

Here's the second version. The original version was taken down and I can no longer find it. I used to have a copy, but I can't find it, either.

Yup, which means we need to look at it more often, which isn't an advantage. I shouldn't have to look at the screen at all while I'm driving. Ever.
Agree. Tesla needs to provide a HUD projector for basic functions such as speed, speed limit, and distance and direction for next turn. Also, when parking, distance to front or rear obstructions. They should look at BMW's HUD setup as a starting point.

• Disagree
Reactions: DanDi58 and SDRick
HUD would be awesome. But maybe not in the minimalist design thinking.
It is just another screen that can have whatever is the minimal information needed for the situation. Do a nice clean design and get the driver's eyes out of the cabin. It is a safety feature and helps prove Tesla's world's safest car claim.

Last edited:
you left out VOICE COMMANDS

can make touchscreen and physical buttons redundant
+1. I wouldn’t like the touchscreen (vs buttons) for some functions while driving, but I prefer voice commands over buttons any day - and Tesla voice commands are WAY easier than the Subaru, Honda and Hyundai I had before. Most physical buttons are used rarely, and voice commands are great for the functions used more often.

Reactions: DanDi58
+1. I wouldn’t like the touchscreen (vs buttons) for some functions while driving, but I prefer voice commands over buttons any day - and Tesla voice commands are WAY easier than the Subaru, Honda and Hyundai I had before. Most physical buttons are used rarely, and voice commands are great for the functions used more often.

Voice commands are fine but also have drawbacks. There is a whole list of voice command disadvantages and drawbacks up thread.

As to physical buttons, even Tesla realizes their importance or they would have not included them on the wheel\yoke and a few other places throughout the car.