Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Paint is the most delicate automobile paint I've ever seen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla paints with BASF Automotive Finishes Glasurit 90 waterborne paint. This is a standard automotive finish used in California.

I had bird droppings on my hood that is covered in Prestige ClearGuard Nano self-healing film protected with Cquartz Finest. The droppings discolored the film and created fine scratches where I used Meguars Ultimate Detailer and a microfiber cloth to remove them. So I don't think the problem is the Tesla paint.

Last edited:
Yeah... the paint sucks. My month old car has swirl marks. And I got a couple rock chips on the hood during my first 500 miles. On my previous car, I can't remember getting any rock chips during the first handful of years of ownership.

Eh, whatever. Not the end of the world.

When I recently received my BMW back from the body shop (fender bender), I received written instructions that included no commercial washing of any kind for 90 days. Only hand washing after the first 4 weeks. So basically, no washing what so ever for the first month.

Given how quickly the Tesla can make its way from Fremont onto your driveway, I suspect that even hand washing or commercial washing your car in the first month is a bad idea.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how OEM painting at the factory differs from a good body shop. It's possible that these instructions I received don't apply to factory painting.

Ya, it seems soft, but also amazingly smooth and reflective (which I have mixed feelings about since I love the color). I had some swirl marks from the factory, which seemed to get (temporarily, I'm sure) "self corrected" when I applied cQuartz UK (which was a frightening experience as it needed a LOT of buffing to remove the excess, but the results are pleasing).

Luckily I got the Panoramic roof so there's less paint target for our feathered friends, but after 2 weeks (and almost 3000 km) I have 3 stone chips on the hood and one is a cluster of 3 small chips :( and I've NEVER avoided dump trucks and rigs more (well, except for that drafting run in Ohio).

Since factory touchup paint in Ocean Blue / Deep Blue Metallic isn't yet available I ordered a kit from Mr. ColorChip based on recommendations from a member in another thread.

I wash by hand (two bucket technique with 2 mitts and microfiber drying cloths) with pleasure :D Gotta love washing aerodynamic cars.

Do you guys seriously think Tesla uses an inferior paint.....give me a break!! If so, show me a hardness test to prove it.

+100

Nobody has ever offered any actual evidence of the "soft paint" hypothesis. It's something that gets promoted by detailers who want to sell you a bill of goods. It's a shame that people here are so quick to repeat a detailer's talking point, and one that isn't true. Those detailers sure sold a lot of overpriced wraps, and made a whole lot of money, after giving Model S owners paint anxiety. I suppose the strategy worked.

My MC Red is gorgeous after almost two years. Rocks will chip your paint, it doesn't matter what brand of car you drive. Hitting a rock at 60+ MPH is not really a test for paint softness. Aside from a rock being harder than paint to begin with, hitting it at speed turns it into a small kinetic bomb.

Last edited:
+100

Nobody has ever offered any actual evidence of the "soft paint" hypothesis. It's something that gets promoted by detailers who want to sell you a bill of goods. It's a shame that people here are so quick to repeat a detailer's talking point, and one that isn't true. Those detailers sure sold a lot of overpriced wraps, and made a whole lot of money, after giving Model S owners paint anxiety. I suppose the strategy worked.

My MC Red is gorgeous after almost two years. Rocks will chip your paint, it doesn't matter what brand of car you drive. That's not a test for paint softness.

I'd never believe a detailer trying to sell me a product. My own eyes on the other hand are something I tend to trust. And I don't just have rock chips, I have scratches everywhere. The car will scratch if breathed on.

A detailer in Finland wrote about his first experience with a Model S. He said that he first googled to find out experiences of Tesla paint and everybody said that the paint is very soft. But when he did the paint correction etc. his experience was that the paint was hard. The color of the car was white and it was not new. Also, in Finland we receive our Teslas about 2 months after they come out of factory and it's possible that some hardening occurs while being shipped.

A detailer in Finland wrote about his first experience with a Model S. He said that he first googled to find out experiences of Tesla paint and everybody said that the paint is very soft. But when he did the paint correction etc. his experience was that the paint was hard. The color of the car was white and it was not new. Also, in Finland we receive our Teslas about 2 months after they come out of factory and it's possible that some hardening occurs while being shipped.
Interesting. I've also heard that Tesla's paint is extremely soft from my OptiCoat Pro installer. Normally, I have the entire car covered in clear bra / Xpel covering to protect every painted surface, headlights, and sunroof. I didn't do it on this car for a variety of reasons and it's one of my few regrets. I'll probably just keep it as it as long as I can stand it and then either wrap it, have it repainted and then clear bra'd, or something else in the future. I don't see myself selling this car. If I did get another Tesla for myself, I would retain this one.

Right. I mentioned it upthread, but the time from painting to reception of vehicle is tiny compared to other vehicles someone might purchase in the US. That additional time matters. Your paint had maybe an additional 6-8 weeks of being untouched versus someone who took delivery in the US. That's significant. Even when heat cured at the factory, almost all manufacturers recommend you're gentle with the paint for an additional 30 (typical)-60 (conservative) days. I really wonder how much of the damage people are complaining about happened essentially right away.

Right. I mentioned it upthread, but the time from painting to reception of vehicle is tiny compared to other vehicles someone might purchase in the US. That additional time matters. Your paint had maybe an additional 6-8 weeks of being untouched versus someone who took delivery in the US. That's significant. Even when heat cured at the factory, almost all manufacturers recommend you're gentle with the paint for an additional 30 (typical)-60 (conservative) days. I really wonder how much of the damage people are complaining about happened essentially right away.

I am grateful for this topic, it has given me some insight. I just ordered my Tesla Model S. I live in the UK so by the time it gets here the paint should have had time to harden. Reading the posts I am defiantly going to use Permaseal 10 Year the very first day i get the car!

My silver p85 delivered 3/2014 with 30,000 miles doesn't have any swirls or streaks but man the rock chips are painful! I have a clear bra covering the front and 1/2 the hood and wish I had paid for whole hood instead as my worst deep rock chip is about a foot above the clear bra.

Ah well live & learn.

I don't even have a thousand miles on my multi-coat red P85D yet and I've already got scratches and swirls everywhere. I've never seen paint that was so fragile and I've not even done much highway driving yet. Yes, I'm going to get it all corrected and then Opticoated and XPELed but it seems like the car literally cannot be left parked without significant after-market paint protection. I really love my new Tesla, but the paint is incredibly disappointing. On a $130,000 car, it is inexcusable.

Hi Guys,

I've works on tons of Tesla's and the paint Tesla uses is not bad, Its actually the best paint you can use in California. Water born color, VOC Clear... The cure times are remarkably fast on this. The first run of tesla(sig cars, and one with out badges) Had ridiculously "soft" paint from my experience. By soft I mean you touch it with anything and it would leave light marring. The paint is easily 100 times better now than it was before. But its not because they changed the material its because they are learning and got better at the process which makes a big difference. The thing that remains true is the paint etches really easy with environmental impacts like bird poo, bug acid, enzymes, ect... The swirling most people experience is inflicted via bad washing practices. It's something I show people all the time, walk over to your car and rub your finger on it with mild pressure and look.... You'll see straight line marring there. Just because someone does a "hand wash" does not mean they are being careful. If I wash you car with a broom but its in my hands I think its not the same as me using ONR and grit guards, ect.. It can be very frustrating to keep swirls at bay but it is not rocket science. I show my customers all the time how to properly wash the car using rinse less techniques and you can be done 20-30 minutes with 3-4 gallons of water. To the OP I just want to stress because there is so much misinformation floating around about coatings, and wraps, ect... They are not forcefields, they will scratch, swirl, marr, ect... But they do a great job with protection from acids, enzymes, UV, and pretty much anything the environment can throw at it. Along with that they release dirt and fall out so well that it makes it much easier to clean the car and less likely to scratch but still can happen. Hope this helps

• Informative
Reactions: mcbarnet007