Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - Post Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, in a traditional car purchase one can easily drive out of the lot with the identical car as somebody who paid thousands more or less than you, because the price is negotiated.

With Tesla if you bought the car, you paid the same as everybdy else, apparently a price acceptable to the market, and also apparently more worth paying than for some competing car; why is this a bad deal?

Tesla makes cars, and needs to earn a profit to stay in business. When you bought your car they were losing money, not only corporately but quite possibly on every car manufactured and sold, for lack of scale; perhaps you should have been charged more.

Also keep in mind that virtually everything which does not become a collector item depreciates in value, not just when used but simply as time passes. This is so ingrained into our relationship with electronic/technology devices (for which a Tesla qualifies), that everyone simply expects that when they buy "today", by next day/week/year the same or better product will always be available for less.

This is exactly what happened with your car purchase, and you got exactly the same "benefit" that every buyer gets, when they finally decide to purchase -- they get to enjoy the product instead of waiting for some magical "best time to buy" -- except in fact you did not have to pay more, because of the incentive rebate.

I feel really ripped off by Apple. I bought a Macintosh two years ago and now I can get a lot more computing power and features for the same money. I never expected that technology would improve and the prices of technology would drop over time.

I want everyone who buys anything subsequently to me to pay the same money for the same technology so that I feel better.

Thanks for clarifying some points (some of you are too f*^&* aggressive, chill out)

Yeah, there's no winning with your original post. As I mentioned before, it's all over this forum, so a lot of folks are tired of seeing it.

Prices change all the time. It would be worse to find out that on the same day you bought the Tesla, another person bought the EXACT same Tesla, but paid less for it. You know, like how it works in traditional dealerships.

Whether it's fair or not, you agreed at a point in time to pay a specific price for a specific item, and have received what you paid for (especially since you didn't opt for FSD...).

I recommend you keep enjoying the car, and quit worrying about what others are paying for it.

Note, this is coming from someone who paid for a fully loaded Performance Model 3 with performance upgrade package that cost $71.5k, then added AP for $2k, for a total of $73.5k + CA taxes. That exact same car can now be had for $59k.

I'm very happy overall with my Tesla, but I can't help but feel taken advantage of.

I took delivery of a mid-range model 3 with premium package in late 2018. At that time it was about 47k + Tax, and I took advantage of the 7.5k tax credit.

Nowadays, the standard model 3 is pretty much the same thing. The premium package seems like its standard now. The range is about the same. At 39k without a tax credit, we end up at the same final cost to the consumer.

(Not to mention this now includes auto-pilot! Thankfully I didnt pay 4-5k at the time for that, I would be furious).

So to me it seems like Tesla just had a plan to take your tax credit for themselves. It just seems dishonest. I'm actually at a disadvantage as I do not have autopilot. Does anyone disagree?
Disagree whole heartedly. You were an early adopter, knowing that when production went up the cost would go down. Also this is a Free Market. You paid at the time what was a fair price. You didn't get screwed. People that bought after you when the tax credits went down didn't get the $7500 from the fed and people buying after Dec 31, 2019 won't be getting any fed tax credit.

Tesla sets the price, we agree to pay the price or go elsewhere. If you went to any of the other automakers you may negotiate a different price for a vehicle but then you would say that Joe over there got a better deal then you. Someone will pay more than you for the same vehicle.

If you felt it was a fair price when you plunked the cash down, you didn't get screwed.

Reactions: Common_Loon
I'm very happy overall with my Tesla, but I can't help but feel taken advantage of.

I took delivery of a mid-range model 3 with premium package in late 2018. At that time it was about 47k + Tax, and I took advantage of the 7.5k tax credit.

Nowadays, the standard model 3 is pretty much the same thing. The premium package seems like its standard now. The range is about the same. At 39k without a tax credit, we end up at the same final cost to the consumer.

(Not to mention this now includes auto-pilot! Thankfully I didnt pay 4-5k at the time for that, I would be furious).

So to me it seems like Tesla just had a plan to take your tax credit for themselves. It just seems dishonest. I'm actually at a disadvantage as I do not have autopilot. Does anyone disagree?
Prices change all the time. Other automakers add incentives and the prices can go up or down model year to model year. Is this your first time buying a car or something? Have you ever paid any attention to the auto market in general?

Tesla's $35,000 Model 3 Standard Range has better interior than originally planned - Teslike.com

Model-3-interior-20-apr-2019.png

Only correction I have a SR but it does have immersive and streaming after V10 (for now!)

OP I had a MR on order and it got cancelled. I think the ~50 extra miles range is worth the extra ~$5k after tax credits

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
What would you prefer they do? Never adjust prices because hey Relisimo bought at a certain price and by God, that means it's set in stone?

They adjust prices based on demand. The whole beauty of Tesla pricing is that you got the SAME DEAL as anyone else who bought on the same day as you. That's it. There's no haggling, everyone gets the same offer. On that day. That doesn't mean prices don't go up or down depending on multiple things from tax credits to tariffs to demand etc.

Overall, grow up man.

Reactions: Nocturnal
The fact that they are giving standard AP out now with all cars but didn't roll out to their fleet irks me a little I must say.

They raised the price of the cars $2000 when they made AP "free"

Prior to that you could've bought it for $2000.

So nobody really got anything "free" there...they just stopped getting a choice about buying AP or not.

(SR owners being the exception since it's the only one that still doesn't force it on you)

Reactions: ry-ballz

So nobody really got anything "free" there...they just stopped getting a choice about buying AP or not.

(SR owners being the exception since it's the only one that still doesn't force it on you)

$3K for buying AP a la carte though. I'm hoping for 2K at some point soon to jump in.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar

I completely disagree. Yes, the price came down, and yes there have been some changes, some that worked in your favor and some that didn't.... however this is how the market place works. If you buy a laptop today it will be cheaper in a year because a better, faster one will be available.... There is a price to being an early adopter, and to be honest, I don't think yours was too bad. I'm sure the price of the Stealth Performance 3 I bought will come down in the future and I'm sure they will add more cool stuff.... but I get to enjoy mine now rather than waiting. No regrets here.

Reactions: Nocturnal

Ah, I didn't realize the price was raised to include AP. I haven't been watching prices at all.