Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Product Announcement at noon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice that AP is now $3K in Model S design studio?

Wow good catch. So they up'ed the price the sneaky bastards!
Also the premium upgrade is up from $3000 to $3500 but now includes cooled seats.

But maybe AP now includes new hardware to account for the price increase? I doubt we'll see an AP2.0 announcement and this seems the perfect time to make the addition.

I sort of understand the motivation to write this but it seems unnecessary. Cars this fast are expensive. No apology required.
I agree, but Tesla continues to fight the "toys for the rich" argument. It's worth reminding people who are tempted to say "An even faster expensive car? What about my Model 3?"

Very interesiting that the 100 kWh pack does not involve n improved chemistry. That tells me two things:

1. Tesla/Panasonic isn't as far along chemistry-wise as hoped.
2. The new pack should be *very* interesting to dismantle. Someone needs to do this ASAP.

Also an interesting thing: The Model S is now not only the longest range BEV, but it *also* has a longer range than all the hydrogen vehicles for sale today!
Would that be ALL the H2, the sum of every one ever produced? or just the sum of those for sale?

• Funny
Reactions: Pollux
Elon did say that packs will be upgradeable from the 85s to future larger packs. So I'm assuming that it will be possible to go to a 100 pack. But, it may not be possible to convert a P85DL to a true P100DL. It's possible that there were upgrades in the motors/inverters/motor wiring at some point in the P85D to P90D transition that allow P90DLs to handle the extra P100DL current, above what the P85D / P85DL systems can handle.

Then Tesla will have lied even by their own standards. According to them, the motors in the P85D are rated to handle enough power to produce 691 hp at the motor shaft which is about 775 hp at the battery. The current P85D ludicrous is speced at 532 hp at the motor shafts based on the upgraded 1500 amp 85 battery.

IIRC part of P90D -> P90DL retrofit announced last summer was an inconel contactor and I would assume associated wiring to handle the extra current.

Not a valid assumption. The 1500 amp pyrotechnically fused contactor is inside the pack, and so would certainly be changed with the pack. But it's possible that the P85D external wiring, inverter and motor (originally designed for the 1300 amps that the original P85D pack could theoretically deliver before fuse trip) can't handle additional P100D current loads. This is just speculation of course but the fact that they specifically mentioned upgrading P90D, and not P85D points that direction.

Last edited:
The chemistry has nothing to do with the change in format. The format really only defines the amount of active material you can carry per cell. Not how potent the active material actually is.

My estimates for the Model 3 pack capacity was based on the 100 KWh pack only being due to an improved chemistry. Now, not only may we need to assume a lower energy density for the cells, but they've also managed to squeeze out 10% improvement on the pack architecture. I wasn't expecting that kind of improvement at all. And it *really* makes it hard to make a good estimate. The question is if the improvements are transferable to the Model 3, or whether it's not workable with the 21-70s. Someone needs to dismantle a 100 kWh pack soon.

Regardless of all that, none of it suggests Tesla is "behind" on the new cell chemistry, since the new chemistry wasn't going to be mass produced until the Gigafactory was already up and running, which we've already known for awhile now.

Guys, can everyone, please, please, PLEASE use the proper abbreviation for units. kilowatt-hour is abbreviated kWh. These are standard, SI units. KWH is wrong. KwH is unbelievably wrong. kWh. That is the unit. There is no other abbreviation.
Correct, because it's spelled kelo-Winkler-halves. Winkler is a proper noun.

• Funny
Reactions: Pollux and Max*
Ventilated seats, not "cooled" seats.
And ventilated seats will only be on the Model S Performance models. Lame.

Are you sure? The design studio doesn't seem to indicate that (I can select premium package on a 60, and the wording does say ventilated seats)

.. scratch that .. you might be right! Wow, so everyone pays $3500, but only the performance people get ventilated seats. That def. sucks for the new orders (basically you pay an extra $500 for nothing).

Then Tesla will have lied even by their own standards. According to them, the motors in the P85D are rated to handle enough power to produce 691 hp at the motor shaft which is about 775 hp at the battery. The current P85D ludicrous is speced at 532 hp at the motor shafts based on the upgraded 1500 amp 85 battery.

Potentially that's so. But I wouldn't be putting any money down on that. I suspect that the P85D omission was not accidental.