Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla readies revamped Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at it, it sounds a lot like the MY changes they’re still working through, structural pack, 4680 cells, single piece castings

I can’t say I’d be excited by simplifying the interior - it’s already sparse in my book. I’d love the opposite direction, add some better sound insulation, allow more personalisation (interior trim is virtually 3 snap on pieces, why can’t we have a choice of 4 or 5 finishes?). The yoke.. hmmm… save on 2 stalks by the steering wheel with a yoke with 10 buttons and another button panel by the charge ports. That’s not really simpler. A choice of seats would be great too, I find the Tesla ones aren’t very interesting really, and little to no lateral support.

That said, if the changes meant they were £15k cheaper then I’d be all for them.

This line is very much from the Elon Musk school of 'less is more'..
One focus of the redesign codenamed "Highland" is to reduce the number of components and complexity in the interior of the Model 3
It is worrying to think what components are there left to remove from the cluttered interior of the M3? As George says, it can only mean no stalks and a yoke to look forward to, but hey a bigger screen!

If you follow the Munro production engineering info on YouTube you may note that there have been many modifications and developments. These are primarily aimed at maximising reliability and quality through simplifying as many elements as possible and reducing parts where feasible.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that the car visibly changes. For example a car with gigacastings and/or a structural battery pack looks the same as an earlier production model. I suppose this particular batch of changes could also include some styling updates but I doubt that they will be the most important aspects.

If you follow the Munro production engineering info on YouTube you may note that there have been many modifications and developments. These are primarily aimed at maximising reliability and quality through simplifying as many elements as possible and reducing parts where feasible.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that the car visibly changes. For example a car with gigacastings and/or a structural battery pack looks the same as an earlier production model. I suppose this particular batch of changes could also include some styling updates but I doubt that they will be the most important aspects.
Agreed.

I also think a lot of people watch Munro thinking what he suggests is always a good thing for the owner, whereas I think its all primarily about whats good for Tesla. He probably loves the idea of no parking sensors, few owners like the idea in the absence of an alternative

Agreed.

I also think a lot of people watch Munro thinking what he suggests is always a good thing for the owner, whereas I think its all primarily about whats good for Tesla. He probably loves the idea of no parking sensors, few owners like the idea in the absence of an alternative
Absolutely… Munro is primarily about optimising a manufacturer’s product for efficient and cost effective production. Ultimately to achieve business success and profitability. The decisions about the detail of what a product will include (or not) or its styling are for Tesla. Munro responses may include a raised eyebrow but that’s about it!

It's certainly interesting that a design refresh doesn't really stir-up great expectations of new innovations and enhancements like it would with other brands. I guess thats what happens when cars are updated largely by software through their life, what is there for new hardware other than to provide more cpu etc and lower manufacturing cost. It's clear whether people like it or not the strategy isn't to have more sensors.

What could new hardware bring that we would care about, my only thoughts would be to increase charging speeds particularly at higher SOC. As I just mentioned in another thread Tesla are likely to need to add V2H to remain competitive.

This story is doing the rounds but as far as I can tell it's based off of nothing concrete at all, just a bunch of speculation. Since several "news" sites are just running with it, it gives the illusion that there is some substance behind it.

There is some basic logic that would suggest that the Model 3 design - being 5 years old - is a bit long in the tooth, but at the same time I don't know how it would need to radically change? A display behind the dash would be welcomed, and/or a HUD, perhaps a motorised screen ala new S/X but apart from that I think it's ok as it is.

This story is doing the rounds but as far as I can tell it's based off of nothing concrete at all, just a bunch of speculation. Since several "news" sites are just running with it, it gives the illusion that there is some substance behind it.

There is some basic logic that would suggest that the Model 3 design - being 5 years old - is a bit long in the tooth, but at the same time I don't know how it would need to radically change? A display behind the dash would be welcomed, and/or a HUD, perhaps a motorised screen ala new S/X but apart from that I think it's ok as it is.
For me the thing I would most like on a refreshed M3.... a hatchback

It always used to be exciting for a car to get a refresh or major update - or even a brand-new design to see just what extras we get, however, with Tesla its more a case of what they are removing, making cheaper or exclude from being inclusive to an optional purchase. If there is anything new I do wonder how many years will pass before the new stuff actually works.

I collected a 2023 Model 3 RWD last week, so I should have that FOMO feeling, but I don't. From my perspective, the M3 is mature enough that all the initial production issues have been ironed out. Watching the Munro YT videos, many components have gone through multiple iterations. I can't match the spec for the money from any other brand (even taking into account that prices were lower when I ordered mine). The car has enough range for my use, and the LFP battery should last for many years, I would imagine that nice-to-haves such as heated steering wheel/rear seats would be removed from the lower priced cars. I don't want a yoke and all the early production issues that a new model brings. I do miss the USS though!

What I’d like in a refreshed M3:

1. More comfort and refinement. My M3P is way too noisy at motorways speeds for a car in this price range.
  2. More supportive seats in the Performance model.
  3. A decent binnacle display.
  4. A HUD.
  5. A few physical controls for HVAC without cluttering the cabin.
  6. Acres of real dead cow for the interior. The vegan “leather” looks and feels like no leather I’ve ever seen and just makes the interior look cheap. Which it is.
I know I’ve got zero chance of any of these.