Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Business and Political opinions should never be mixed. No business should EVER take a political stance. IF you serve coffee, just make sure you serve the best coffee. We don't care about coffee makers political opinions.
What I think you mean is "No business should ever take conservative or even perceived right leaning political stance." Pretty much every single business that is owned by any of the big investment companies is forced to take a left leaning political stance whether they want to or not.

I'm not installing this new software update, at least not until I read more about it from other people. As it is, I have to touch the steering wheel / move my 19 ounce steering wheel de-nagger weight once every 10-11 miles. I have a 20 mile highway drive to and from work, and one de-nagger weight repositioning per ride is enough.

I rarely use my basic AP outside of highways, so that shouldn't be a big deal. And I taped over the rear view mirror spy camera months ago, so that way of nagging me won't work.

But it is gonna be a pain, the UI will start pestering me to install the new update every single time I get in the car. Not gonna!
This is the same ol' that people have been saying since v8 and the original nags rolled out.

Short of ripping the wifi and cell antennas out, there's nothing you can do. The unfortunate reality is that the Tesla EULA for using their services (phone app, maps, radio, etc) includes mandatory updates.

The car works just fine as a regular car if you rip out the antennas (with the execption of supercharging). But that means it's just a regular old car...

You don't have a choice. From what I read, it's mandated and will be done behind the scenes without your approval. It's for your own good.

P.S. Grok is very smart, but maybe a camouflaged cheat weight could fool it.

This is the same ol' that people have been saying since v8 and the original nags rolled out.

Short of ripping the wifi and cell antennas out, there's nothing you can do. The unfortunate reality is that the Tesla EULA for using their services (phone app, maps, radio, etc) includes mandatory updates.

The car works just fine as a regular car if you rip out the antennas (with the execption of supercharging). But that means it's just a regular old car...
There is zero evidence that any updates are done behind the scenes without your approval. Again as a counter example, I had a window recall that is approaching a year already (February 2023) and I still haven't installed an update that includes it. In fact, I wasn't even staged for an update that included it until after I installed the 2022 Holiday update this last September.

Reactions: KArnold
There is zero evidence that any updates are done behind the scenes without your approval
There is this: Hong Kong removes autopilot. Of course, the US/Canada isn't Hong Kong, but it shows that when a government wants an update, they will force it. Plus, I know I've had an update forced after dismissing updates for years, and other people swear by the same. Sure, it's not hard evidence, but you can't ignore it 100% either.

There is this: Hong Kong removes autopilot. Of course, the US/Canada isn't Hong Kong, but it shows that when a government wants an update, they will force it.
As you say, US isn't Hong Kong. Recalls have not been forced for example. Legally the government can't force you to do a recall, they can only notify you.
Plus, I know I've had an update forced after dismissing updates for years, and other people swear by the same. Sure, it's not hard evidence, but you can't ignore it 100% either.
I haven't seen accounts that conclusively excluded the possibility of accidentally pressing the schedule button (which is very easy to do) or excluded a secondary app user that may have accidentally pressed the update button on the notification (also easy to do).

About the recall....

It appears that Tesla stopped adding more folks to updates back on 12/7/2023.

A few days ago, after a quick verification all was ready, my friends drove an hour to the Tesla Store to pick up their new model S. Oops, it is not ready. Now delivery is supposedly set for this weekend. But, I am seeing no evidence on TMC that any new cars are being delivered since the 7th.

Supposedly, the compliant version is 2023.44.30. There are none of these TeslaFi, and no reports I can fined on TMC.

MP3Mike has a 2023.38.100 but that is not what Tesla said would be the compliant version. I'm not seeing his actual delivery date either.

So, does anyone have 2023.44.30 yet? Folks are downloading older versions, but has anyone seen a new batch of any release "pending" since 12/7?

Usually, when I get worried about when Tesla will do something, they do it while I am posting about my worry. I've joked that perhaps Elon's Neural Link has gone wireless to my brain, or maybe his Time Warp Technology is farther along than we thought.

But for now it appears that both new car deliveries and software updates have been disrupted by this "nothing burger" of a recall. So, I don't know what to tell my friends about the weekend. Should I brace them for another disappointment?

About the recall....

It appears that Tesla stopped adding more folks to updates back on 12/7/2023.

A few days ago, after a quick verification all was ready, my friends drove an hour to the Tesla Store to pick up their new model S. Oops, it is not ready. Now delivery is supposedly set for this weekend. But, I am seeing no evidence on TMC that any new cars are being delivered since the 7th.

Supposedly, the compliant version is 2023.44.30. There are none of these TeslaFi, and no reports I can fined on TMC.

MP3Mike has a 2023.38.100 but that is not what Tesla said would be the compliant version. I'm not seeing his actual delivery date either.

So, does anyone have 2023.44.30 yet? Folks are downloading older versions, but has anyone seen a new batch of any release "pending" since 12/7?

Usually, when I get worried about when Tesla will do something, they do it while I am posting about my worry. I've joked that perhaps Elon's Neural Link has gone wireless to my brain, or maybe his Time Warp Technology is farther along than we thought.

But for now it appears that both new car deliveries and software updates have been disrupted by this "nothing burger" of a recall. So, I don't know what to tell my friends about the weekend. Should I brace them for another disappointment?
You’re saying Tesla USA has not delivered a car since 12/7 and won’t until the recall software is out?

There is zero evidence that any updates are done behind the scenes without your approval. Again as a counter example, I had a window recall that is approaching a year already (February 2023) and I still haven't installed an update that includes it. In fact, I wasn't even staged for an update that included it until after I installed the 2022 Holiday update this last September.
Yeah, you can just not install it in the touchscreen, if that's what you're saying? Sure pepople have done that for years even. But eventually the Tesla API will change enough that you won't be able intsall any updates (this happened to me in 2018 on my first Model S). Then the security will have changed enough (certificates, TLS/SSL version, etc) that you will no longer be able to login at all. Once either of these senarios happens, you need to take your car to a service center (inner most circle of hell) to get everything back up to date. All while avoiding accidentally installing the update and having it pop up constantly.

This is all to say that in other countries Tesla has issued manadatory updates to cars for recalls. I think the only software related recall in the US was the FSD one, so I'm assuming everyone with FSD did that update. Guess we will see if they force it.

There is this: Hong Kong removes autopilot. Of course, the US/Canada isn't Hong Kong, but it shows that when a government wants an update, they will force it. Plus, I know I've had an update forced after dismissing updates for years, and other people swear by the same. Sure, it's not hard evidence, but you can't ignore it 100% either.
Also, the service center must perform the recall by law the next time you bring the car in. I know that's genrally few and far between with Teslas but it's another factor to consider.

This is what makes this "racall" different than an "OTA update" there is the force of law behind this change. It's not just a recommendation, it's a safety issue that needs to be addressed; not just for the owner's safety but the other drivers on the road as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Yeah, you can just not install it in the touchscreen, if that's what you're saying? Sure pepople have done that for years even. But eventually the Tesla API will change enough that you won't be able intsall any updates (this happened to me in 2018 on my first Model S). Then the security will have changed enough (certificates, TLS/SSL version, etc) that you will no longer be able to login at all. Once either of these senarios happens, you need to take your car to a service center (inner most circle of hell) to get everything back up to date. All while avoiding accidentally installing the update and having it pop up constantly.

This is all to say that in other countries Tesla has issued manadatory updates to cars for recalls. I think the only software related recall in the US was the FSD one, so I'm assuming everyone with FSD did that update. Guess we will see if they force it.
I don’t remember seeing an option to not update. Isn’t it now, or later tonight?

That you expected to get full level 4 FSD for $2k shows how naive you were. If FSD was full hands/eyes free - it would be 100K. Not 2k. Competitors charge $2k or more for things that are not even 1% of FSD.
At $100K, would anyone buy it? I can see $100K FSD being worth it for trucking companies. Get those rigs on the road 20/7 (assuming 5:1 ratio of driving hours to charging hours). More miles/day and no driver to pay, only have to pay a plug jockey at your charging stations.

But with things in the state they're in, it will be 2050 before FSD for 50-ton juggernauts of death will be approved.

I don’t remember seeing an option to not update. Isn’t it now, or later tonight?
Yeah. You just have to ignore it and not accidentally hit it. Most of us are used to wanting the latest version these days. But there was a time where people actively avoided updates and found increasingly creative ways to get around them while keeping the car online. The most notable was V8 in 2017/2018 when the nags got way worse and the UI was drastically changed. Also there was a solid year in 2016/2017 where the navigation was screwed up and people avoided updating so they could retain the older, better navigation.

Most of those issues have been fixed these days and updates are generally welcome. Now that new nags and limitations are being put on AP again, the notion of just avoiding updates is coming back. But, as we found out back in the day, it's a real pain avoidng them and eventually (esp if you want to keep using the phone app or online navigation) you will need to cave.

Completely seperate, this is a recall, so for the first time in the US, Tesla may force it or update in the background. We shall see in the next few days...

Don't think not choosing is an option.

IIRC it's going to update tonight. Your only option is to do it now instead of tonight.
At least in the past, if you don't connect to wifi and you just ignore the prompt when you get out of your car, it wouldn't update on its own.

That may have changed, it's been a few years since I've avoided an update.

But this is a recall, and the first non-FSD OTA one in the US. So it could be forced. We shall see...

It's time for a new CEO. JB Straubel is my #1.

If I were CEO or could tell a CEO what to do:

• Rename "Full Self Driving" to Advanced Autopilot Assist. Say that Full Self Driving is a research goal.
  • Rename Autopilot to Autopilot Assist
  • Three tiers: Base, Enhanced, Advanced. $0, $2500, $5000. Give everyone store credit for software upgrades for any price delta you paid above those, these can be used for future purchases for options, but not car.
  • Tradeins to Tesla with Advanced Autopilot Assist on existing cars get $2000 off on new purchase of new car with AApA
  • Put in a ****ing rain sensor for free.
  • Offer a "tech upgrade" package to base model with full speaker activation and ultrasonics for $1200
  • Put ultrasonics back in for LR & P for free.
  • Stay off Twitter except to announce new products
  • Hire professional PR and do what they tell you
  • don't date anybody who has an Instagram following
Another major challenge that a new CEO would face at Tesla is the corporate culture. This is notoriously hard to right when it has festered. And, as many of us have experienced, the corporate culture at Tesla is awful. The customer experience is somehow worse than at a traditional dealership (the only silver lining here is you rarely need to go to the dealership). If it weren't for the current CEO's lies and divisiveness, the culture at the retail locations and service centers, I would have just ordered a new Model S instead of spending months seeking out a used one.

(I literally set aside the cash to buy a new one and ultimately couldn't bear the idea of sending more money to Tesla. I told one of my business partners this past summer, "I have the cash, I want a new car, why is he saying these things")

This is costing Tesla real money in 2023 and will probably only start costing them more in the long term.