Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking liability at highway speeds might even be further away than urban robotaxi functionality, purely because of the higher speeds + reaction times necessary + increased severity of outcomes when something goes wrong even though it’s simpler straight-line driving

I guess I'm officially not gonna do any more software updates. Iean right now the AP1 nag warning cuts on at about 4-6 seconds while doing highway speeds and closer to 7 seconds at city speeds.

That is already annoying AF and I had a model 3 and a model Y loaner and both of them while my hand was resting on the wheel like I do on my S the nag came up and the only way to get it to stop was to actually grab and jerk disabling AP and then turning it back on again.

I'll just wait for y'all to do the updates and report back so I don't end up with another garbage nerf like they did to my original 85 pack with that stupid update.

Reactions: laiod
It was never promised as Level IV. That was always supposed to be in the "future" ... do you know what it means to say something that has never been done before but will come in the future ?
I'll just leave this here.

1702695495381.png

Translation to anyone reading today:

"Ride hailing for your 2016 Tesla! We promised to let you know how it was going to work...in 2017! Hopefully your car will still work when we release true FSD in 2030+"

Reactions: sublimejackman
I don't like this Autopilot Suspension thing, especially if it is for a week. Just like the last version that got more strict, I'll learn to avoid it.

It used to be that the blue lights on the screen would blink for a good 10 seconds before disconnecting the AP. Then it changed to disconnecting IMMEDIATELY when you drove a bit too far with the de-nag weight on. It didn't take me long to figure out to shake the steering wheel and move my de-nag weight to the other side of the steering wheel as soon as I crossed a certain bridge on my midnight ride home from work.

And if I messed up and wasn't paying attention and forgot to do it on time and the AP kicked off, I came up with a way to reset it, just to show Tesla that I won't be controlled! I'd come to a dead stop IN THE HIGHWAY LANE from 75 mph (relax, there were rarely other cars on the road, it was midnight), shift to Park, lift my butt off the drivers seat for a split second, sit back down, shift back into drive, and proceed and turn on AP again as soon as I got up to highway speed.

If Tesla wants to do something useful, bring back the TENTHS DIGIT to my odometer that's been missing for about 20 months! Why did they take it off? There's virtually no savings of processing power!

I don't like this Autopilot Suspension thing, especially if it is for a week. Just like the last version that got more strict, I'll learn to avoid it.

It used to be that the blue lights on the screen would blink for a good 10 seconds before disconnecting the AP. Then it changed to disconnecting IMMEDIATELY when you drove a bit too far with the de-nag weight on. It didn't take me long to figure out to shake the steering wheel and move my de-nag weight to the other side of the steering wheel as soon as I crossed a certain bridge on my midnight ride home from work.

And if I messed up and wasn't paying attention and forgot to do it on time and the AP kicked off, I came up with a way to reset it, just to show Tesla that I won't be controlled! I'd come to a dead stop IN THE HIGHWAY LANE from 75 mph (relax, there were rarely other cars on the road, it was midnight), shift to Park, lift my butt off the drivers seat for a split second, sit back down, shift back into drive, and proceed and turn on AP again as soon as I got up to highway speed.

If Tesla wants to do something useful, bring back the TENTHS DIGIT to my odometer that's been missing for about 20 months! Why did they take it off? There's virtually no savings of processing power!
"I don't like this Autopilot Suspension thing, especially if it is for a week."
Nobody likes it. Only NTHSA does.
Punishing a kid does not help to him from not doing bad things. Only helping him understand the consequences does. An adult should know the consequences of what he/she does.

I disconnected mine from WiFi and blocked the MAC address on my router for good measure. If Tesla wants to waste AT&T's bandwidth to update my Tesla to a newer version by force, there's nothing I can really do without putting the rest of the connected features at risk.

Stuff like this makes me long for the days when jailbreaking was popular, especially on earlier Apple iOS versions...

I'm trying allowing it to stay on wifi, but limiting the speed via router to 2kbps. This way it doesn't fail over to LTE (at least while parked).

Sooo... Is NHTSA asking/forcing other automakers with a lane keeping assist/centering feature to also issue more prominent warnings and suspend use of the feature if some improper use threshold is exceeded? I ask because in my Hondas when LKAS is engaged, there's nothing but a soft beep and message in the instrument cluster to "please place hands on the steering wheel". If I do not do that within the allotted amount of time, the feature turns off and the vehicle will numbly drive right off a cliff. I can ignore all warnings until the feature disengages continuosly without penalty. No matter how many times it disables, I can push one button to turn it right back on.
I’ve seen commercials showing drivers of Chevys and GMC vehicles taking their hands off the steering wheel after enabling self driving.

Reactions: DrGriz
I’ve seen commercials showing drivers of Chevys and GMC vehicles taking their hands off the steering wheel after enabling self driving.
The Edmunds video shared up thread shows three advanced 'autosteer' hands-free options being reviewed in LA freeway traffic, and a Tesla. The GMC Cadillac came in first. The Tesla came in last because it isn't "Hands-free". While it did the highway portion better than the others (IIFC), it wasn't hands free and that was the point of the test and being engaged and 'takeover' was not as smooth as it was with the Caddy. They let the tesla drive on city streets all the way back to the office, stressing this was something that the others simply could not do, but at the same time as great as that feat was, it was also terrifying for the test driver and they determined self-driving, even with hands on the wheel is not ready for prime time. They say, "watch this space" because they are well aware of the progress made and they don't say tesla will fail at achieving that goal, only that it isn't there yet.

NHSTA going after others is a possibility but in those cases the programs are designed to be hands-free and limited. Unlike the tesla AP which is not limited and allows for abuse, major abuse, which the NHSTA claims contributed to accidents.

Of course, all vehicles (ICE, EV) lead to accidents when they are abused by the drivers. I am willing to bet the vast majority of the over 42,000 in 2022 on US roads were caused by abuse by drivers making the car do something it shouldn't (i.e. run a red light), rather than a failure of the physical car's capabilities (brakes failed to stop for red light.)

Elon claims that EVs are going to reduce that number by forcing safe practices on the road. That won't happen when the same idiots in teslas simply defeat the technology designed to reduce accidents ("it changed to disconnecting IMMEDIATELY when you drove a bit too far with the de-nag weight on.) Personally I don't think that Elon's vision will happen until the self-important, "I am always in the right", idiots behind the wheel are taken out of the equation by the removal of the wheel.

Depends on a lot of things - but if robotaxi is possible, how much would it be worth ? See ARK spreadsheet from a couple of years back I've posted in the forum.
I would think insurance on a robotaxi would be quite expensive.

And if an accident were to occur, three months or more of downtime waiting for parts?

Then there is the concern of vandalism by anti-EV types. Drunks puking or worse requiring cleanup before returning to service. People trying to take over and steal the car to joyride and just General Mayhem for kicks.

I don’t think individually-owned robotaxis will be a thing. Maybe a large fleet owned by Tesla or Cruise, Waymo, etc.

"I don't like this Autopilot Suspension thing, especially if it is for a week."
Nobody likes it. Only NTHSA does.
Punishing a kid does not help to him from not doing bad things. Only helping him understand the consequences does. An adult should know the consequences of what he/she does.
Until you're the one crossing the street and get mowed over by someone texting with AP and dies. Which happened THIS YEAR.

We share the road and people are abusing AP to deadly effect. It is not and has not been ready for public use on surface roads. Everyone but a few reckless, careless "adults" agree that AP shouldn't be used without the driver paying attention.

Raw data: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/ffdd/sgo-2021-01/SGO-2021-01_Incident_Reports_ADS.csv

Reactions: OxBrew

If you have a weight on your steering wheel, YOU are the reason we have nags. The rest of us are the responsible adults who don't abuse AP and are paying for your recklessness with nags.