Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Radar and USS have nothing to do with the steering wheel torque and cabin camera monitoring. USS is not even used for AP or FSD and the wheel torque requirement existed long before Tesla disabled radar in all cars.

If you are getting pay attention warnings while you are looking straight ahead, then there is a problem with your car. It is possible to set the visor such that it obscures your face from the camera. You might check that if you are getting undeserved warnings. My only FSD strike was for this exact issue. If the camera does have a clear view of your face, then perhaps you have a cabin camera issue and should request service to have it tested.

If you find the notices on the display a safety issue, then maybe you should file a complaint with NHTSA about it.
Okay thanks for the advice. I'm going to open trouble ticket. I have been holding back because I didn't know if I was being too picky but it honestly is getting really annoying and has only gotten worse with the recent updates. I understand the need for safety but I'm really a very safe driver. And my visors are not obscuring the view. I guess the next step from other advice I've gotten is to note it with a bug report when it happens next and then submit a trouble ticket referencing the bug report which will give them the information they need to check it out

AP is a sub-set of FSD functionality.
A bunch of features have been moving around between the two over the years (auto-park, auto lane change, navigate on AP, etc.). Occasionally, Tesla interjects and intermediate feature package known as EAP between the two.
You're making a false equivalency

Yes, FSD (and EAP) use the two features of AP, but in a conversation about AP, FSD (and EAP) are irrelevant. And all of the cars sold in the last 4+ years (which is BY FAR the majority of Teslas on the road) all INCLUDE AP: FSD (and EAP) are very expensive add-ons.

For me, five years into toying with AP, it continues to fail on me with 90+% reliability in three (3) scenarios:
  • Y road splits (tries to email itself on the median, whenever there is not a car to follow).
  • Phantom breaking around bridges on sunny days (and in some other less predictable scenarios).
  • Veering off the road and steering into the ditch when cresting either one of the 2 minor hills near my house (in other words, limited horizon lane keep meltdown).
  1. No one has ever claimed that AP is 100% perfect. But it has gotten a lot better in the last 4+ years. I put the reliability at 99%
  2. Your first bullet is not something that AP handles: that is covered under FSD/EAP. TACC only keeps you in your lane and you can't expect it to know how to navigate a lane split
  3. Your third bullet point sounds like using AP where you are not supposed to be - can't fault the technology for user error.
  4. While phantom breaking does still happen, it is for me may once every couple of months. Since I keep my feet near the pedals, it is a very quick correction

I'm sorry you were offended, but I did not intend any offense.

And you aren't the person who told me if I couldn't afford my own house, I should not be spending money on a tesla and should focus on more important things.

But knowing that was said to me (different forum), you might understand that I'm pretty easily offended when people don't fully support those who are fighting to get EV ownership to ALL people who can afford an EV, and not limit it to those who can start by living in the 'right' sort of home. It is really important for legislators to grok that in most cities 40% of residences are rentals and virtually 100% of those were built before EV charging solutions were required for a building permit. So they can say the right words that homeowners will hear and think the politicians are moving forward with EVs as part of the climate change solution, when in fact the politicians have deliberately decided to not learn about the issues 40% of the households face. And the homeowning EV owners don't see a problem with what the politicians are spouting, either.

I effin hate Elon but the supercharging network is a huge part of what makes EV use an option in my country. And what makes it possible for many of those 40% to actually be part of the EV movement. For figuring that out and acting on it, he deserves a hat tip.

Reactions: navguy12
There's where the nearest DC fast charger along the route comes in handy. ;)

There weren't any superchargers close by. There is one closer to that destination now. I was also told there was 240V available at the destination, but I didn't have an adapter for that type of plug. I've since gotten that adapter.

I didn't really need my car for the three days, so it was not a deal killer. I would have driven the 40 miles or so to the nearest supercharger to charge if I had needed the car.

One downside side, you must do a lot of charging during peak rates?

I drive 70/100 miles a day, 100% of my charging is during off peak rates.

We have flat rates here 24/7, but I would expect if an apartment complex has a charger fee, it's probably a flat rate per month to have access to the chargers. Otherwise it would be a lot of overhead to put in the monitoring to determine who is charging when.

Reactions: fholbert
Related news:

Uh, that appears to be just Tesla rolling out the "LARGER FONT SIZE TO SAY PAY ATTENTION" 'recall' via SW update that was done in the US- which makes sense as you wouldn't want to have to keep different software branches for goofy stuff like "size of warning message"

Uh, that appears to be just Tesla rolling out the "LARGER FONT SIZE TO SAY PAY ATTENTION" 'recall' via SW update that was done in the US- which makes sense as you wouldn't want to have to keep different software branches for goofy stuff like "size of warning message"

The China government is saying otherwise. Sounds like more honest to goodness safety issues.

"The affected units have problems with their automatic assisted steering and door latch controls that can increase the risk of accidents, China's State Administration for Market Regulation said in a statement."

The China government is saying otherwise. Sounds like more honest to goodness safety issues.

No, they are not.

"The affected units have problems with their automatic assisted steering and door latch controls that can increase the risk of accidents, China's State Administration for Market Regulation said in a statement."

The door latch thing is on a tiny # of imported S/X-- and again is a copy of the recall already done in the US last month via OTA (much larger # in US since there's a lot more S/X here during the time period in question)-

The Autopilot thing appears to be exactly the same SW update as done in the US for driver alertness, NOT any functional change in AP- from what google translate is telling me-

Specifically these two lines from the statement:

Chinese government statement said:
For vehicles within the scope of this recall, when the automatic assisted steering function is turned on, the driver may misuse the level 2 combined driving assistance function

In other words- it's an OTA to address driver abuse not any issue with the AP system- just like the US one... and

Chinese government statement said:
adding additional automatic assisted steering control and related The reminder further encourages drivers to perform their driving duties and comply with driving regulations when this function is enabled, so as to reduce the risk of collision caused by misuse of the assisted steering function.

Again- same as in the US where they're increasing the driver monitoring activity when steer assist (AP) is in use, and locking you out of it if you keep abusing it (the additional controls bit)-- and where they make the PAY ATTENTION message bigger on the screen (the related reminder)

Well lah-de-dah, thanks for assuming I have no idea what the charging speeds of L1 and L2 are (especially in winter in Canada) and boasting about how fast you can charge compared to me.

You seemed to have missed the part where I said we got the last 15 amp circuit on the basement electrical panel of our building. Or, in case I wasn't clear, I got the last circuit on the basement electrical panel and it was 15 amp. Installing 220v to our parking spot simply was not an option.

Charging 110v is a helluva lot better than taking the car to the L2 in our neighbourhood and walking home, then walking back later. It costs me no time whatsoever to plug in. And, in general, the 100km in range we get overnight is sufficient for the next day since we aren't commuting daily. The only time we run into issues is if we are away (like over last the weekend) and then want to visit our son the following day. That requires hitting an SC on the way home so we can leave with enough range. Yesterday I learned in this weather, it takes 18kWh to do the round trip. But we had had topped up rather than arriving home with the estimated 7% left that the car thought we'd have. We try never to return home with less than 30% so we can do an emergency run out to him in the middle of the night.
My M3 is parked in our condo underground parking. There's a 110V outlet right beside my parking spot. I made an arrangement with strata council to charge my M3 via that outlet and that I would keep my amps set to 8 or 10. I meter my consumption with a plugin watt meter that is read monthly. Strata bills me at their billed rate. ~90% of the time 110V/10A is quite sufficient and when I need more I make a quick stop at a local SC or DCFC station.

My condo charging station:

At our winter home in SE Arizona, I converted the master GFCI in the garage to a NEMA 5-20 and then I can charge at 120V/16a which is quite a nice boost in charging rate. A NEMA 5-20 outlet would easily meet the charging needs of the majority of EV owners, who have a ~10-12 hour charging window/day.

It's possible AP now doesn't allow engaging in those roads if it did before, but the tests so far at least show it doesn't disable when it reaches those roads. There are many roads there it transitions from multi-lane divided highway to two lane bidirectional roads and arguably it would be more dangerous if the system automatically disengaged when it reached those roads.
In my testing here in rural SE AZ, there are no restrictions on engaging AP on rural roads; as before a painted centre line is a prerequisite but AP will remain active if the centre line disappears after AP engagement.

Stop the BS.
What BS? The China "recall" is exactly the same as what is going on in the US and is to correct erroneous driver behavior (in the case of the AP issue). I am sure there is a LOT of Chinese politics behind making it sound worse than it is (so as to support their country's BYD). This is a clear case of spreading FUD.

Fear, uncertainty and doubt (often shortened to FUD) is a manipulative propaganda tactic used in sales, marketing, public relations, politics, polling and cults. FUD is generally a strategy to influence perception by disseminating negative and dubious or false information, and is a manifestation of the appeal to fear.

If you are getting pay attention warnings while you are looking straight ahead, then there is a problem with your car.

Wait a second, are you saying that if I have both hands on the steering wheel, lightly applied, engage the FSD then the camera inside should be able to pick up that I am indeed paying attention to the road and NEVER nag me to touch the steering wheel?

And if it does, causing me to look down and see why the hell it beeped, there's a problem with my car?

Again, hands lightly touching the steering, eyes straight ahead and camera inside my MS unobstructed - no nag?

In my past experience, I'll call BS on what you're proposing as I'll drive in Sacramento through the construction zone(s) along US 50 and get hammered every 11-15 seconds with "pay attention to me" nags even while my hand was actually adding weight. But that was my experience 2-3 months prior before disabling FSD entirely (and obscuring the camera).

With 44.30.5.1, the rear centre (backup) camera is much dimmer now (in the lower light environment of my parking garage); the rear facing side cameras are still at the previous light level so the change in the center camera light level is pronounced.

Also, reinstituted Joe Mode as all the sound levels went up markedly.
I’ve got a ranger coming out and changing my camera tomorrow because of this with my rear camera. In low level light something has changed like yours. Didn’t realise it could be the software. I’m on the same version.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Radar and USS have nothing to do with the steering wheel torque and cabin camera monitoring. USS is not even used for AP or FSD and the wheel torque requirement existed long before Tesla disabled radar in all cars.

If you are getting pay attention warnings while you are looking straight ahead, then there is a problem with your car. It is possible to set the visor such that it obscures your face from the camera. You might check that if you are getting undeserved warnings. My only FSD strike was for this exact issue. If the camera does have a clear view of your face, then perhaps you have a cabin camera issue and should request service to have it tested.

If you find the notices on the display a safety issue, then maybe you should file a complaint with NHTSA about it.
I was not saying radar and USS have anything to do with cabin monitoring or wheel torque, not sure what you're even referring to there. I continue to miss those things (USS /radar) when I'm parking in tight spaces, almost every day. I was referring to several different issues in one post.
I did have a helpful response earlier regarding the unwarranted nags, w from a member who detailed the best way to make a trouble ticket to include bug reports to back up the information provided to tech team. That response was appreciated.