Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla reduces output of Y and 3 in Shanghai

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is cutting prices in China, but in fact Tesla is a winner. It has the headroom to cut prices and still make a profit. Pretty much everyone except BYD and Tesla lose money on EVs in China. Plus the market for ICE is collapsing there...

... as BEVs and PHEVs approach 50% of the Chinese market >> BYD sees NEV share reaching 50% in the next 3 months in China as EV price war heats up
More like a bloodbath vs war. Feels like they'll have a lot of failed companies before too long but they also have a massive manufacturing and technology lead in batteries so could well be worth it. Not like their property bubble ;)

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Ah, because you should believe anything Musk says.

Call me a cynic, but to have to engage in price cuts to boost flagging sales and competition from China and then claiming it’s actually all for the greater good sounds far too convenient.

I’m not trying to provoke anyone. Disagreeing with you or having a contrary opinion isn’t a provocation

Try to not take it too personally, no one here is insulting you or attacking you

You seem to be the one with an axe to grind. Tesla has had this narrative since beginning and you are trying to change it, why? It's written on their company web pages.

I have a family member who is retired, owns a home with a driveway, drives 2(!) miles per day and takes an occasional weekend 100 miles round-trip. She considers herself environmentally conscious. She wants to buy a hybrid. Why would she, who is an absolute ideal candidate for an EV, which would be a massive improvement over her current gas car, be hesitant about buying an EV?

The media. Every single day she sees stories about how EVs are 'not working', enormous recalls, people stranded at chargers. Do combustion vehicle recalls make the news? Somebody's new gas BMW broken down make the news? An unhappy customer of a Mazda? Never. Negative news stories about EVs make money, so every outlet is scrambling to make as many as possible. What else can she believe?

It is natural that not all people are early adopters. It's what has saved humanity from lots of crazy things. Let her take her time.

Reactions: ACarneiro
It's written on their company web pages
Goodness, if that’s the case then it must be true.

Now do the FSD video on their website that said the driver is only there for legal reasons…

But that would see many companies including dealerships out of business and then what choice would there be?
I’m sure you’re well aware of how the free market works.

Great. I look forward to “FSD” being open sourced once it has been “solved” 😂

The media in this country is hugely corrupt. I'm all for freedom of speech but the reality is it's the voice of just a couple of decision makers pushing the agenda and then stories are found to fit that narrative. It's not there to educate us on the world, it's there to bend our views to their bidding.

Causes so many issues in this country because most don't realise they are being taken advantage of.
I don't think it's nefarious or a conspiracy of some sort... I really think the media are just a struggling business model trying to sell people what they want in a competitive market. People naturally distrust new technology and are more likely to click on things that reaffirm their beliefs. Plus, EVs are highly politicized, so any anti-EV story is going to speak to a minimum of 50% of the national audience. The only casualty is the truth.

Reactions: ACarneiro
I don't think it's nefarious or a conspiracy of some sort... I really think the media are just a struggling business model trying to sell people what they want in a competitive market. People naturally distrust new technology and are more likely to click on things that reaffirm their beliefs. Plus, EVs are highly politicized, so any anti-EV story is going to speak to a minimum of 50% of the national audience. The only casualty is the truth.
I understand, just a shame that people reward this and the cycle continues.

If you had the environment in mind you’d have purchased a used car and ran that into the ground. Heck, you could have purchased a used Leaf and ran that into the ground in order to make yourself feel even better, or done away with a car completely and used public transport, walked or cycled everywhere.

You bought this expensive, heavy EV that was shipped all the way from Fremont or Shanghai because you wanted a fancy new car. That’s all there is to it, the fact you can virtue signal off the back of it is a bonus.

You were prepared to pay more because you, like the rest of us here, were wealthy enough to do so.

I do have children. I don’t subscribe to this Just Stop Oil nonsense that the world is going to be uninhabitable in the future, my children, any future grand children and their children will all be fine.

🎯
Oh dear. You’re welcome to your opinions about your own motives in life but please don’t pin them on me.

Try to set aside whatever soured your view of the world and just pay some attention to the science. (WTF prompted “Just Stop Oil” comment!) Oh, by the way my nearest bus stop is 14 miles away otherwise I would certainly use a bus from time to time … with no “virtue signalling” involved … what an embarrassingly naff term that is. It invariably says more about the user than it does about the accused!

If you feel the bile rising again just take a tablet and leave me out of it please.

pay some attention to the science
I think the science would agree that buying a brand new car is not good for the environment.

I think the science would also agree that getting rid of a perfectly good ICE vehicle that has plenty of life in it to replace with an EV is also not good for the environment.

Try to set aside whatever soured your view of the world
If you feel the bile rising again just take a tablet and leave me out of it please.
That’s not very nice, is it? 🤭

• Disagree
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I think the science would agree that buying a brand new car is not good for the environment.

I think the science would also agree that getting rid of a perfectly good ICE vehicle that has plenty of life in it to replace with an EV is also not good for the environment.
Science says no.... he's comparing new ICE to new BEV, but plenty of used BEV nowadays. Even with a new BEV, won't take too long to improve on a CO2 basis, instant on air pollution basis - full switching would save thousands (maybe tens of thousands, maybe more) of UK lives, millions across the world. Less Alzheimer's, impotence, confused thinking. Plenty of studies showing even short exposures to air pollution impairs thinking.

I show EVs emit less after 16k miles (not 50k)

I think the science would agree that buying a brand new car is not good for the environment
Correct in some instances but you don’t know my car buying history! I don’t buy or lease new cars routinely. My usual pattern is to buy a vehicle and then run it until it is uneconomical to repair … so you’ve definitely picked the wrong criticism on that one!

Last edited:
Correct in some instances but you don’t know my car buying history! I don’t buy or lease new cars routinely. My usual pattern is to buy a vehicle and then run it until it is uneconomical to repair … so you’ve definitely picked the wrong criticism on that one!
This would appear to be the most environmentally friendly approach.
On the flip side, we’re on our third BEV.
The previous Tesla is on the road somewhere still, so someone is ‘doing their bit’ and driving a BEV rather than ICE
The car before that was a petrol-hybrid, so someone is driving that (hopefully in preference to a turbo diesel.)
And the Euro5 tdi before that is now scrapped, but I guess someone owned it for a while having upgraded from a poorer-emission vehicle.

If we can continue to put zero-tailpipe-emission new cars on the road, are we not enabling all drivers to upgrade to something cleaner than their current vehicle?

On the flip side, we’re on our third BEV.
The environment thanks you for the continued damage you do to it. I'm sure the mental gymnastics being performed to justify how this is all good for the environment makes sense in your head.

My usual pattern is to buy a vehicle and then run it until it is uneconomical to repair
So did you do the environmentally friendly thing and run your previous car into the ground before replacing it with a used 2019 M3 SR+? Or did you previous car still have some legs to it and you got rid of it for a brand new EV?

• Disagree
Reactions: boombap
I think then it depends on the financials. People with access to a salary sacrifice scheme (Normally also better paid folks) or people that can buy via a company, then yes. Charge at home and do enough miles to justify the extra cost of the EV vs an ICE then yes. For most less well paid folks, normally without a driveway not at all.
Yup, Salary sacrifice for example is only allowed if you're above minimum wage for example (the sacrifice can't take you below minimum wage), if you annualise the minimum wage, for a 40 hour week, working 52 weeks (paid hols), that's £19,760 per year. Now add in, say £500 per month for a car, and you need to be earning £25,760/year. That's a lot of people who can't even use Salary Sacrifice.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
My personal view is largely driven by cost. Yes, we've currently got 2 x Tesla, Powerwalls, Solar etc. But most of that is driven by cost savings. The Solar/Powerwalls, and car allow Intelligent Octopus Go, which allows most of the house to run at 7.5p, and export at 15p. If suddenly that vanishes or negated by taxes then I won't bother.

Same for the car really, I didn't get any tax breaks as bought personally on PCP, yes, the road tax has been negated but that's only £100/year. If suddenly the fueling costs were on par with petrol, and house running cost above negated by changes.. I'd really think twice about another EV.

My other half is already planning to replace her Y with an ICE, the pre-warming, low fuel cost (indeed I pay that), lack of tax etc, is great, but it costs a lot each month and a new cheap ICE negates all that... so she'll likely go that route.

Sure I do care a little about green stuff, but first and foremost, cost matters.

So did you do the environmentally friendly thing and run your previous car into the ground before replacing it with a used 2019 M3 SR+? Or did you previous car still have some legs to it and you got rid of it for a brand new EV?
The important thing is that new cars coming onto the road are EV. You and others are doing your bit by buying new EVs.

When you sell a car second hand, it is important to note that you are not just driving it off a cliff. Someone else - who might well have more time / skills to keep it running - will get a lot of use out of it.