Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Referral Relaunch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the why was why do you think it will be extended not why do you think it is rolling out in China.
As for my doubts over its extension to other countries. I don't see why Tesla needs it unless its a way to increase orders. So unless orders dip in other countries I am not expecting it.
The old system of free miles meant the Youtubers and "influencers" quickly maxed out on what they could ever use so ran out of incentive. This is system may suit them since it has an alternative to just miles.
I guess we will have to see who is right. lets meet back here in 6 months :)
Near enough 6 months, who's right 🤪
Yep. Got similar email 6,000 miles for you/3,000 miles for them. As long as they take delivery by March 31st
Hmmmm, change March to December and there is a feeling of deja vu there. 🤔😬

Just received an email telling me I can refer a friend or family member and if they purchase, I get 10,000km of charging and they get 5,000. Sounds great!

BUT they have to take delivery by this Friday:D

I will be taking delivery by Friday, but in the US. Also not sure if I can get the referral after the order, but prior to delivery?

I seem to recall what I said was "
"in China supply now exceeds demand. If the same becomes true in Europe then sure"
So I guess I was right on both counts :)
Hmm....

You posted a graph showing the order backlogs from around the world. China's backlog was the second smallest after Canada. The USA had the largest backlog of the 5 geographical areas but also saw the referral program launch 4 weeks after the information about China. Within 5 months, the new scheme is now available in China, North America, Europe and Australia. That doesn't seem to infer that this is a scheme to fix the issues occurring with demand in China.

Furthermore, the previous referral schemes were not launched because Tesla were struggling to sell the cars they made, so really not sure why it's a consideration with this one.

Pretty sure they are struggling now. They are also still wanting to expand production but the demand isn't there. I don't blame this on Tesla or their cars but the general economy at the moment. Other makes had a longer backlog so have yet to hit this but think it's coming for them all soon.

I'd probably buy a Model S Plaid but they don't want to sell me one so it's their fault they have these problems by not making RHD Model S and X 😉

Pretty sure they are struggling now. They are also still wanting to expand production but the demand isn't there. I don't blame this on Tesla or their cars but the general economy at the moment. Other makes had a longer backlog so have yet to hit this but think it's coming for them all soon.

I'd probably buy a Model S Plaid but they don't want to sell me one so it's their fault they have these problems by not making RHD Model S and X 😉
I suspect demand may not have dropped in the UK though the increase may have levelled off. I think it is more likely Tesla have just managed to increase supply. Q1 UK sales will tell us. Q2/Q3 2022 was Coivid in China so that will not be a fair comparison but Q1 2022 vs Q2 2023 should be interesting.

I seem to recall what I said was "
"in China supply now exceeds demand. If the same becomes true in Europe then sure"
So I guess I was right on both counts :)
I quoted it for you above just to be sure, you really are a Muskovite, spout any old nonsense then claim you were right all along 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Have orders dipped, of course not Tesla had just decided to keep hundreds of cars in stock for the next sales drive so no one was disappointed.

No way they will extend the referral scheme here either of course it's not as if they are having problems selling cars, you can tell because the discount has been reduced to just £3,990.00 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla somehow manage to deliver more, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that they have stock they are having to incentivise to sell. It may just be in the wrong country, or the wrong colour compared to demand, but we've had a reduction of list price (albeit back to where it was about a year ago) and plus inventory discounts and free miles on top. Lots are still talking about volume, but I imagine margin is down by maybe 10% which they can currently afford to do. I think they may need to look wider than price, maybe look at customer service and spend somnething there, maybe a little more customisation of the car (even dash trim could be exchangeable easilky enough), maybe a bit of variability in software options, knock off the rear heated seats and bring them back as a software unlock. Not everything I'd approve of as a buyer, but I might as a shareholder. I just hope its not a race to the price bottom and they hold prices and offer more for the cash.

Reducing pricing will only do so much to increase demand. There’s people that at this point simply won’t buy an electric car no matter what the price point is. So basically Tesla is competing for a greater share of the people prepared to buy an electric car currently and price helps but seems they are still hitting a wall.

I understand their strategy of increasing supply as it brings down costs overall and of course once you can no longer buy an ICE then anyone that wants a new car will have to buy electric even if they don’t like it. Just feels like Tesla is pushing up supply faster than the market can support it.

Not sure Elon will reverse tack on this and personally not sure I want him to. Being able to order and get a car quickly is nice and it's driving down prices which is also a bonus in the long run, even if it hurts if you have one and used prices are dropping.

Reactions: pow216
I quoted it for you above just to be sure, you really are a Muskovite, spout any old nonsense then claim you were right all along 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Have orders dipped, of course not Tesla had just decided to keep hundreds of cars in stock for the next sales drive so no one was disappointed.

No way they will extend the referral scheme here either of course it's not as if they are having problems selling cars, you can tell because the discount has been reduced to just £3,990.00 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂
Any conversation I can walk away from without you down voting all my posts is a win as far as I am concerned

• Funny
Reactions: Exy1
I'm suspecting there is a massive down turn in demand for vehicles in general. The new 23 plate has been out for nearly a month now, and I have barely seen any. I'm thinking the downturn is going to be very serious in the coming months. Especially right now as utility bills are landing on peoples doormats. Yesterday I input my meter reading for my 3 monthly British Gas bill. The result was a £1,200 bill for 3 months of gas (only). This compares to same quarter last year of around £500. So up by around 120%.

Aside from that it is barely comprehensible the stupidity of Tesla offering the family/friends referral and to think or expect you could contact a friend and get them to buy a £50k+ vehicle in a matter of 3 days. What were they thinking.

Finally has anyone else noticed the rarity of 23 plates too?

Last edited:
Reactions: Exy1
I'm suspecting there is a massive down turn in demand for vehicles in general. The new 23 plate has been out for nearly a month now, and I have barely seen any. I'm thinking the downturn is going to be very serious in the coming months. Especially right now as utility bills are landing on peoples doormats. Yesterday I input my meter reading for my 3 monthly British Gas bill. The result was a £1,200 bill for 3 months of gas (only). This compares to same quarter last year of around £500. So up by around 130%.

Aside from that it is barely comprehensible the stupidity of Tesla offering the family/friends referral and to think or expect you could contact a friend and get them to buy a £50k+ vehicle in a matter of 3 days. What were they thinking.

Finally has anyone else noticed the rarity of 23 plates too?

Re your point in bold. I had to read the email from Tesla a few times to validate that yes, they actually meant March 31st and yes, as promotions go it is both crazy and will have zero impact. Absolutely ridiculous move from them.

And yes, I think I've seen 1 new 23 plate vehicle this month, so the "cost of living" crisis is biting when it comes to big ticket purchases, no question.

Reactions: TheManofMead
Just discovered that a colleague is picking a new Y up tomorrow and have given them my referral code after the order going in. Suggested they try to use it at pick up and see what happens. They did genuinely order one after talking to me about my car as it happens.

Just discovered that a colleague is picking a new Y up tomorrow and have given them my referral code after the order going in. Suggested they try to use it at pick up and see what happens. They did genuinely order one after talking to me about my car as it happens.
It's always worth a try, but historically its been tough to get them retrospectively applied, but not totally unheard of. I think it comes down to the capabilities of the person asked as much as anything.

• Informative
Reactions: DoricJim