Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Releases $2,000 Model Y Acceleration Boost, Shaves Half Second

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what is the verdict on the 2k upgrade? How noticeable is it? I mean, I'm gonna do it. But only had the car 2 days and loving it. Only test drove the performance before this. Honesty it doesn't feel much different while driving. Off the line is less but still great.
Definitely noticeable. See Dragy GPS times below for statistical data.

Do you enjoy making Mustang GT owners cry? If yes, this mod is for you.

Attachments

• 20201118_140544.jpg
    20201118_140544.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Screenshot_20201107-194345_dragy.jpg
    Screenshot_20201107-194345_dragy.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: Stach
Welp, with 45 miles on the car (lol), I wanted to see what the boost was all about since I've been following this thread and the other threads since it came out. I had all intentions of buying it as "part" of the purchase of the car.

Car was charged to 90%...

I didn't do a 0-60 but I did a couple hits from rolling at 25 or 30mph... man, I'm honestly surprised it feels that quick. Maybe the size of the model y has something to do with why I feel like I do, but its silly quick now; this type of vehicle shouldn't move that fast. I can't believe some people said they couldn't tell a difference.

Phew!

I didn't do a 0-60 but I did a couple hits from rolling at 25 or 30mph... man, I'm honestly surprised it feels that quick. Maybe the size of the model y has something to do with why I feel like I do, but its silly quick now; this type of vehicle shouldn't move that fast. I can't believe some people said they couldn't tell a difference.

Phew!

Yeah, I tell my co-workers the same, a 4400 crossover shouldn't be this quick.

As far as those who didn't feel a difference, they probably had a sub-50% and/or cold battery, which essentially makes the car 0.5s slower.

Reactions: alexcue
It depends on the car. If it has a factory turbo and large injectors, it's as simple as a manual boost controller for under $100-150. Most cars, though, $2k might get you 15-30 hp.

“Manual boost controller”?? I haven’t heard that used in ages. Hahah

turbos cars came long ways, it’s all about ECU flashes via smartphone apps now days. Increases boost, fueling and timing. You can even make the exhaust burble if that’s your thing lol

2k is a bargain to shave half a second but it’s not a miracle. For 2k you can add bolt ons and a tune on a modern turbo car and add an easy100hp. The BMW 335i for example adds an extra 100hp for just under a grand, and that’s why high school kids love em. That car can get you in a lot of trouble.

lol I provided the answer and you disagree. The boost is done via the app and cannot be added to the MVPA. Thanks for the thumbs down.
I didnt mean it in a negative way towards you. i meant that it sucks we cant roll the extra finances through our loan when we pick up our car. FSD was an option your can add it to our loan so i dont understand why we couldnt just do the Performance boost to the loan as well.

Ugh..... That's so lame.
Yeah, I'm not sure why some of the options are post-delivery only. When EAP was offered in September, some people didn't take delivery yet and couldn't purchase it at $4,000 and then they took delivery in October but EAP was removed from the app for purchase. It'll come back again at some point but most likely at $5000 (or half of the FSD price, if FSD goes up).

Yeah, I'm not sure why some of the options are post-delivery only. When EAP was offered in September, some people didn't take delivery yet and couldn't purchase it at $4,000 and then they took delivery in October but EAP was removed from the app for purchase. It'll come back again at some point but most likely at $5000 (or half of the FSD price, if FSD goes up).
I took delivery 3 days after EAP went away and was dying to add it on before delivery with no such luck...

Within a couple weeks I upgraded to FSD before the price bump, so Musk's plan worked out well for him...

(The FSD beta looked way too promising; it's the first time I actually thought the car could get damn close to being fully self driving)

Definitely noticeable.

Do you enjoy making Mustang GT owners cry? If yes, this mod is for you.

My wife has a 2019 Mustang GT. She won't race me. :D

And I definitely felt a difference. I took a co-worker that has owned some pretty high-end cars (Porsche 911s I think was the fastest) and a rolling launch literally took his breath away. He had seen the youtube videos, but it is something you aren't prepared for.

Oh and the 60-80MPH packs a lot more punch too. I don't regret spending the money on the upgrade one bit.

My wife has a 2019 Mustang GT. She won't race me. :D

And I definitely felt a difference. I took a co-worker that has owned some pretty high-end cars (Porsche 911s I think was the fastest) and a rolling launch literally took his breath away. He had seen the youtube videos, but it is something you aren't prepared for.

Oh and the 60-80MPH packs a lot more punch too. I don't regret spending the money on the upgrade one bit.
Is there any data on the 60-80 performance? I thought I’d read somewhere that the boost is truly only 0-60.

I am considering purchasing acceleration boost. I live in MN where we get lots of snow. I am wondering if having the boost will make car less safe for winter driving. Will I have to change my driving style to handle winter driving conditions?
Let me know this question makes sense. I fear the boost will lead to car spinning out of control when roads slippery. I do have snow tires.