Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Releases $2,000 Model Y Acceleration Boost, Shaves Half Second

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One reason they won't roll into the purchase price so you cover it in your loan is that it is refundable. That by rights should change the loan value and Tesla does not want to be involved between you and your bank.

Post delivery FSD is refundable but you can order the car with FSD...

I suspect this is more to make the Performance look like a better value but also allow an extra revenue generator from all the non-Performance owners...

Reactions: dale_cooper
They should have just included it free and have the performance as a new base for 2021.

You mean get ride of the Long Range and make the Performance Model Y the "base" ?

Or do you mean they should just include the performance boost on the LR as part of the "base" package and then still have the Performance Model? $10k for 0.7 seconds might be a harder sell than 1.3 seconds... I really think Tesla want's to keep that 1+ second difference between the LR and Performance versions to help justify that $10k price premium between the two. The Ubers are nice, but a lot of people actually don't like those wheels and see them as a hassle....

You mean get ride of the Long Range and make the Performance Model Y the "base" ?

Or do you mean they should just include the performance boost on the LR as part of the "base" package and then still have the Performance Model? $10k for 0.7 seconds might be a harder sell than 1.3 seconds... I really think Tesla want's to keep that 1+ second difference between the LR and Performance versions to help justify that $10k price premium between the two. The Ubers are nice, but a lot of people actually don't like those wheels and see them as a hassle....

The acceleration differential between the Performance and LR+Boost is artificially inflated by Tesla, by taking the slowest LR numbers (no rollout during 0-to-60mph) and comparing it to the fastest Performance numbers (1-foot rollout).

• Informative
Reactions: Stach
It's been available for the 3 since it's release, unlikely Tesla would remove it as an after-purchase option. It's extra money in the bank for essentially an automated process that costs them literally nothing to activate. They're probably paying ~ $40 in credit card transaction fees, that's $1960 net since all the costs already have been developed and amortized.

its a minimal boost for 2k IMO that should just be a standard for the LR Dual motor. its still nowhere close to the the performance upgrade at 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. for 2k it should be at 4seconds. i guess its a way to just make money lol

its a minimal boost for 2k IMO that should just be a standard for the LR Dual motor. its still nowhere close to the the performance upgrade at 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. for 2k it should be at 4seconds. i guess its a way to just make money lol

Yeah, going to have to disagree with you there. It's an option they didn't have to offer at all, and is cheaper, easier and no negative affects to the car vs doing upgrades to an ice car. The upgrade is noticeable at all speeds and well worth it.. to say its nowhere close to the performance is just false

The fact is that the LR+Boost 0-60mph times drop from 4.8 to 4.2 seconds. Just as there is a limit to how fast a 10-second 0-60mph car can feel (a Prius?), there's also a limit to how slow a 4.2 second car can really be.

Bottom line is that 4.2 seconds (or even 4.8 seconds, with no professional driver or launch mode required) is damn fast for a SUV at this price point.

Reactions: Stach and MrWattson
One could assume that the Performance model is fairly close to it's limits (maybe when factoring in long term reliability of parts, etc) since there isn't a $2k "Plus" upgrade option that cuts it's 0-60 time by half a second to make it 3.0 seconds flat... I mean this is free money for Tesla, if they could do it without worrying about burning out motors a few years down the road, they would. There would still be enough separation between Model X and Performance Y+ that I don't think they would have to worry about it cutting into sales, at least any more than it already is...

I believe the LR is capable to have the same times as the Performance but its all restricted by software. but of course the enhanced suspension and breaks are a different factor on which can be upgraded.

I don't doubt that.... but of course then you have essentially a Performance for $2k more than the LR, which Tesla does NOT want. The suspension doesn't seem to be much different looking at the parks catalog and same with the brakes... I think a lot of people would pick the LR + software upgrade rather than the full Performance if they could get the same speed. Loads of people seem to complain about the Ubers (winter issues, ride quality, cost, lack of rotation capability, etc), and a lot of people complain about the suspension to begin with... the brakes are really the only thing I haven't heard complaints about and I doubt you would miss those unless you track the car. So unless the Performance can be bumped up to be half a second or quicker than I doubt we'll see any more adjustments to the LR software upgrade in terms of quicker acceleration OR becoming a "standard" line item on the LR.

Reactions: RT-3
Other than the first month or so of the AWD MY, it cannot be as fast as the performance. The AWD 990 rear motor isn't as powerful as the 980 in the performance. (The first AWD MYs came with the 980, and had a performance VIN.)

Reactions: empiredown