Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Removes Free Unlimited Supercharging for all their CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one who thinks this is getting way more attention than needed?

No current owners are affected. Any new potential buyers would be fully aware and can make a decision for themselves whether they want to purchase a car from Tesla without the free Supercharging benefit. If it doesn’t affect you, why throw such a fit?

I think the entitlement of some that feel they deserve free supercharging has gotten out of hand. These will be the same people that will say “My 2015 has Free USC, I want to buy a new Model S, I don’t understand why I can’t still have it. Tesla sucks.” Tesla is not shooting themselves in the foot with this change. As much as I love the concept of free fuel, this is a smart business decision that I applaud them for.

This is a pretty simple concept. The original contract is with the owner, not any future owners. Tesla contracts with the original owner to allow free supercharging and the ability to transfer free supercharging to a subsequent owner. The subsequent owners who buy a CPO are not parties to the original contract so they have to no right to expect anything other than what Tesla agrees to sell them.

Not honored yet. It is for the life of the car, and the car still exists, so that original condition is still ongoing.

Not angry. I'm just in disbelief at so many people not understanding this concept.

The contract is with the owner of the car. When Tesla owns the car, there is no contract with the owner, and what do you care as you no longer own it? The only thing it affects is Tesla's ability to sell the car. It makes private party sales which retains the FUSC ( I hate this term as I attended USC ! ) more valuable. If you still own your car, you benefit by this action.

Last edited:
Great heated discussion as normal lol

Here is a fourth scenario, which I believe is just like #2...possibly

1. (Cars sold prior to today) Pre 2017 cars, that had Unlimited Supercharging ( they CAN'T remove SC from these)
2. ( Cars sold after today) Pre 2017 cars sold by 3rd party dealers ( they CAN'T remove SC from these)
3. ( Cars sold after today) Pre 2017 cars sold by Tesla ( they CAN remove SC from these)

4. (A Pre 2017 Cars sold after today) by a private owner. Someone buys a used tesla and then sells it 1 or more times. Does SC stay with the car, through multiple sales. I believe the answer is yes as long as the car does not become the possession of Tesla and they remove the right of the car. ???

Reactions: neroden
Here's an interesting thought exercise:

Lets say I buy a Mustang from Ford. On the MVPA, the car comes with 19" premium wheels which the car indeed did come with.

Some years later, I trade in the Mustang. Before the car is resold, the premium wheels are removed and cheap steel wheels are installed. Is a new buyer of my old Mustang entitled to 19" premium wheels?

Food for thought...

As others said before, there's way too much talking and guesswork on this matter. Most likely it's coming down to the numbers. If they really started to look everywhere to save costs this was an obvious move.

It saves costs by obviously not having people charge for free
It increases their sales by pushing ppl towards the Model 3

- As irrational as it sounds, free supercharging was what made me keep looking at a used S instead of a new 3, even though it's a much bigger car, older technology, not so efficient, etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking like this and some bright mind at Tesla figured this out.

- Also, those wanting a used S over a new 3, sort of had to buy it from it from Tesla for the warranty. It doesn't really make sense to buy a used S with little warranty time remaining. On top of this, the private used market is still insane. Same bright mind probably noticed this too.

Looking at these, I can understand their reasoning for removing free supercharging.

It saves costs by obviously not having people charge for free
It increases their sales by pushing ppl towards the Model 3
I honestly think the main motivation is that free supercharging encourages overuse and congestion. The easiest way to get people to police their own behavior is to give them an economic incentive. Now, if they would engineer a way to asses idle fees on cars that aren't plugged in...

BTW, Does anyone know whether cars with free supercharging still have to pay idle fees?

I honestly think the main motivation is that free supercharging encourages overuse and congestion. The easiest way to get people to police their own behavior is to give them an economic incentive. Now, if they would engineer a way to asses idle fees on cars that aren't plugged in...

BTW, Does anyone know whether cars with free supercharging still have to pay idle fees?

I would assume so. I have FUSC and I have received warnings at superchargers.

Reactions: MarkoC

Sadly it looks like this isn't their motivation. Deep down I was also hoping their reasons were to help customers.

Now they removed FSD also from all the used cars they're selling. It really starts looking like they're just going through all the options they have to squeeze some more $ for the cars they sell.

Sadly it looks like this isn't their motivation. Deep down I was also hoping their reasons were to help customers.

Now they removed FSD also from all the used cars they're selling. It really starts looking like they're just going through all the options they have to squeeze some more $ for the cars they sell.

On the other hand, all the 40 and 60 kWh cars that had no Supercharging, now have it enabled by default when resold by Tesla. And the 40 kWh cars suddenly become 60 kWh cars.

I'm one of those for whom FUSC is over-rated. Over the past year I've spent a grand total of $41 on Supercharging. Even if it was free, the local Superchargers around here are crowded enough that I'd still charge at home.

This move is another poor decision by Tesla. This is poor customer service, promise one thing and then taking away said benefit, for what a penny saved. I realize Free S/C is overrated, but Customer Service is the worst for Tesla This is just another example of poor management.

"Poor Management" at Tesla is due to legacy personnel with CYA attitudes trying to shore up their position at the company verses pushing for what is right. Weak short sighted people are rife throughout Tesla's middle-management. Unfortunately, I've experienced that first hand, pretty sad and it is a real blind spot for executives at Tesla.

• Informative
On the other hand, all the 40 and 60 kWh cars that had no Supercharging, now have it enabled by default when resold by Tesla. And the 40 kWh cars suddenly become 60 kWh cars.

I'm one of those for whom FUSC is over-rated. Over the past year I've spent a grand total of $41 on Supercharging. Even if it was free, the local Superchargers around here are crowded enough that I'd still charge at home.
Though materially you are correct, it is well known the realy value of "all-you-can-eat" is the value preception in your mind...namely that you can get it anytime you want it for free. Additionally, on the resale side, it is another large check box when comparing with other options.