Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My concern is that USS is a proven technology that works extremely well. Absolute best case scenario with using vision instead -- is that it turns out to not be worse. For consumers there will be zero benefit. If there is any savings related to this, Tesla will be the one pocketing the profit.
Zero benefit? How about ordering a car and getting it sooner than 18 months?

Reactions: DrGriz
My concern is that USS is a proven technology that works extremely well. Absolute best case scenario with using vision instead -- is that it turns out to not be worse. For consumers there will be zero benefit. If there is any savings related to this, Tesla will be the one pocketing the profit.
Looks to me like Tesla has found a way to reduce the production cost of the vehicles a little more by eliminating sensors, installation provisions and wiring. It's a good example of value engineering. Ultimately, the consumer saves money. Even if you already have USS, you may save money by not needing to replace a faulty or damaged sensor in the future.

Agree. If people are desperate enough to pay the kind of money Tesla is asking for an inferior product then that is definitely a benefit.
Especially now with so many similar EVs on the market and new ones being announced constantly. Why people complain about Tesla is a mystery - just go buy another car you'll enjoy.

The Kia offered a "special edition". Equipment removed was:

Parking collision avoidance assist (when backing out, 2x rear radars?)

Highway Driving assist 2 (auto lane change, 2 rear radars?) Car should still have smart cruise control

FCA crossing (collision avoidance in unprotected turns) car would still have EAB

Remote smart parking assist (Summon like thing)

360 surround view

Blind spot monitor view (side cam in display when blinker on)

Sunroof

Vegan seats

So could be 4x corner radars, 4x surround cams missing or a computer unit or cables. Seems nose radar still was there and working.
They also offer3d SE2 and SE3 versions later but I don't know what they skipped.
Yep, that matches the reports I read. Front radar is still there, so doesn't point to a supply problem for that particular component (which is what Tesla is using and people were suggesting there was a shortage of). Tesla doesn't use any of the shorter range radars that others use for corners (which it why it doesn't have cross traffic alert or the mirror blind spot lights), so any supply shortage of that doesn't affect Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari and DrGriz
Except that (to the public) raw video can mean unedited footage, versus the industry meaning of unprocessed.
Fair point, though I doubt anyone would confuse the prior encoded video stream with the concept of edited broadcast footage.

I think this thread subtopic started with @Boza expressing annoyance about the use of "photon count" in a discussion among the people here, who are not quite the general public. His negative reaction is really a reflection of frustration with Eon's much-discussed habit of using inflated marketing terms, the archetype being "Full Self Driving".

While "photon count" itself is less egregious, it must have prodded an already inflaned nerve. Fired off some BS-detection neurons in his Annoyance Cortex. :)
Amps are electron count
Moles are molecule count
CCD values are photon count
I get what you're saying there too, but with respect and since we're analyzing terms:

Coulombs represent electron* count i.e. charge. Amps represent current, the flow of said charge over time.
* electrons or sometimes holes or, in other contexrs, sometimes protons or the space-charge capacity in a volume of material, etc.(Just trying to "insulate" my comment against further levels of pounce, as measured by Disagree Count!)​

CCDs (which I think are not used in these cameras) and CMOS Image sensors (which are) both accumulate electric charge approximately 1 for 1 as a result of the incident photons, hence the photon-count reference. I think physics textbooks would use n for the count itself, but it turns into Coulombs of charge in the pixel well, causing a proportional voltage that we consider the relevant stimulus for the CMOS transistors.

(Edit: apologies that I wrote Joules instead of Coulombs the first time I posted this, another error on my part now corrected)

Bottom line: Photon Count isn't wrong, it only feels wrong if it's used to imply something unique or innovative, as if Tesla made some kind of fundamental image-capture breakthrough. This false implication would constitute the BS that @Boza attacked. I've seen it plastered across those clickbait YouTube snapshots.

What Tesla did, which is a perfectly real and notable improvement over the prior architecture, was to remove a layer of digital video processing that helps captured images look more natural to humans, but takes time and loses some information in the process. Note that said processing layer is still there in the feed to the on-screen image display and in stored clips, but it no longer exists between the camera feed and the NN scene processor.

Last edited:
Especially now with so many similar EVs on the market and new ones being announced constantly. Why people complain about Tesla is a mystery - just go buy another car you'll enjoy.
That is totally fine if Tesla's BS only affected new cars. The fact that they can, will, and have downgraded existing cars is why I get enraged and no longer support this company (in it's current form).

That is totally fine if Tesla's BS only affected new cars. The fact that they can, will, and have downgraded existing cars is why I get enraged and no longer support this company (in it's current form).
Check out the Tesla Used Car market for selling your existing car so you can get into a car you'd enjoy. Prices are hot right now, so you may not lose much of your value.

Tesla is constantly trying to save cost and streamline production…. from much less options, single glass roof, no instrument cluster, no radar, no rain sensor, half the steering wheel, now no uss, whether all of these are truly innovations and how each individual perceived is up to each one, good thing is there are more choices now, one can pick another option with different tradeoffs ….who knows, may be Tesla one day will remove side mirrors, rearview mirror, door handles inside and out, windows buttons, accelerator pedal, use airplane steering styled steering wheel … and then other manufacturers follow 🤣

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
But that's not true at all. The Occupancy Network can provide a 3D view of obstacles, while the ultrasonic sensors only provide a line around the vehicle (as well as being totally blind to the two sides of the vehicle). I believe it was already demonstrated Tesla Vision is a lot better at self parking than using the ultrasonic sensors (for one, it doesn't need cars around it to work).

I didn't respond to similar comments that talk about Tesla Vision, but it's going to be a similar thing. It may not reach "parity" in certain metrics (for example follow distance 1 or top speed being 85 vs 90), but in others it would be better (I've seen reports that the latest versions are significantly better in terms of phantom braking than even the radar based AP).

Probably a similar thing may happen with USS where Vision Parking Assist might not reach the 1 inch depth resolution (maybe it'll be 2 inches for example), but if it can provide that same 3D visualization then it'll have some advantages (especially if Tesla can make a way for it to represent curbs in front).

Last edited:
Tesla is constantly trying to save cost and streamline production…. from much less options, single glass roof, no instrument cluster, no radar, no rain sensor, half the steering wheel, now no uss, whether all of these are truly innovations and how each individual perceived is up to each one, good thing is there are more choices now, one can pick another option with different tradeoffs ….who knows, may be Tesla one day will remove side mirrors, rearview mirror, door handles inside and out, windows buttons, accelerator pedal, use airplane steering styled steering wheel … and then other manufacturers follow 🤣
You really gotta catch them somewhere at the intersection of the "increasing quality because they are constantly figuring out how to build the thing without misaligning every other panel" and "decreasing quality because they are finding new ways to save money"... lol

....I believe it was already demonstrated Tesla Vision is a lot better at self parking than using the ultrasonic sensors (for one, it doesn't need cars around it to work).....
Vision CAN park using Lines but can't park with cars close by since it then relies on the USS to determine distance. Tesla is REMOVING Auto Park (and Summon) from cars without USS. So Vision Auto Park want be better it will be MIA.

Joules Coulombs represent electron* count i.e. charge. Amps represent current, the flow of said charge over time.
Can't help it...You'd need a potential to get joules.

Other than that, I think you captured the sentiment well. Yeah, you can technically get away with calling it a photon count, but it's unnecessary and gimmicky in that it doesn't express any technical advantage. I can see the use of the raw feed being advantageous in the time it saves and in the lack of compression.

Reactions: Boza and JHCCAZ
It's not as easy to sell and buy a new car like you imply.
If that's the case for someone, then they must simply weigh the pros and cons. Stay with a car they are unhappy with, or go through the potential difficulty of selling their car and buying a car they would be happy with. Which option will bring the most joy with the least pain over time?

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Can't help it...You'd need a potential to get joules.

Other than that, I think you captured the sentiment well. Yeah, you can technically get away with calling it a photon count, but it's unnecessary and gimmicky in that it doesn't express any technical advantage. I can see the use of the raw feed being advantageous in the thanks. it saves and in the lack of compression.
Thanks, yes. I had already corrected that bad mistake, if you go back and look at my edit, about 10 minutes after I posted it. I reread it and spotted it myself. I felt a little sheepish, so I acknowledged the error instead of simply replacing it. Just in case someone was already replying as I think you did. (The edit window is now closed but if you see anything else let me know!)

Reactions: LorentzTorque