Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Reservations Model and Demand Generation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They seem to be developing a pattern of hiring a bunch of temps to increase production, then unwinding those temp positions as they get more efficient at operating at that new higher rate; presumably, converting the best of the temps to full-time positions.

We might have found a new way of tracking the production ramp. A trend to keep an eye on at least.

The temp labor is used to fill full time positions. It's a long term interview process to select the best personnel. In a mature auto factory it is not uncommon for a worker to serve two years as a temp before being eligible for a full time position.

It is a great indicator of production ramping up. The second shift is very interesting.

as other companies might use interns: get 12 interns in during the summer, see which two or three really stand out and succeed in the corporate culture, hire those and bid the others godspeed.

Would you like to explain this to my employer? We seem to think coops should be used like temps. We spend significant resources bring them up to speed over the course of 7 months, making them the best new hire candidates by the time they graduate. Then, we tell them we don't have any positions open, and our competitors hire them instead. We go on to hire more coops because we need people but aren't allowed to hire full-time employees.

Drives me insane.

seems on the tesla forums the eu deliveries are getting ranges from july to october. so are we somehow fully booked through august at least? my model shows we should be.

That would be incredibly great news and we will likely know this after the earnings call and guidance. The wait is about 2-months according to the Tesla order page for a US delivery, but it could be longer. Nothing firm set in stone.

Elon mentioned that the 100 loaners are in addition to the "20k number". Does anyone think there's a decent chance they actual sell over 20k Model S cars this year?

Well, people ordering in Norway now are anxious to know if they will get their cars "this year" (and being reassured by Tesla staff because EM promised that everyone ordering before June would get that). And Norway is getting a head start on the other EU markets. It would be very surprising to me if there were a demand problem this year. It is next year that is exciting in the demand department, I feel.

Well, people ordering in Norway now are anxious to know if they will get their cars "this year" (and being reassured by Tesla staff because EM promised that everyone ordering before June would get that). And Norway is getting a head start on the other EU markets. It would be very surprising to me if there were a demand problem this year. It is next year that is exciting in the demand department, I feel.

that was my thought too at the beginning of this thread. under relatively conservative assumptions 2013 should sell out. by 2014 hopefully by 2014 the demand generation is in high gear.

an interesting consequence is the next couple quarters of earnings should be quite good, making life even more miserable for shorts than just one good quarter.

that was my thought too at the beginning of this thread. under relatively conservative assumptions 2013 should sell out. by 2014 hopefully by 2014 the demand generation is in high gear.

an interesting consequence is the next couple quarters of earnings should be quite good, making life even more miserable for shorts than just one good quarter.

The 2014 positives would be ramp up of Europe and Asia markets, added stores and 20,000 owners with time in, the added 'lease' program buyers, and free marketing via ModelX reservations in last half for 2015 delivery. Negatives include initial pent up buyers from years waiting are largely accommodated.

I wouldn't be surprised if 650/week is reached by the start of Q3. Further digging into the job postings for this week shows temporary job openings on production line positions (Casting, Stamping, Body Finishing, etc). Many are daytime positions but there are a few that have a swing shift.

To me this means a few things:
- First and most importantly, new hires across the board mean they have met 500 car/day production levels.
- Next given they are temporary positions, I believe Tesla is attempting to exceed 500 cars/day production in the very near future.
500 cars per DAY?!?! Assuming there are 30 working days/month, that's 15,000 cars/month. I don't think so.

I believe that Tesla's reservation model is changing.
I'm predicting that the market won't understand it, and so when the new model is made explicit, the market will provide us with another buying opportunity.

What I think is happening is that Tesla is moving away from having a big long reservation list. This is just part of being mainstream - no other mainstream car has a waiting list. We've heard about upcoming opportunities for buying cars - from some cancellations being available for sale to service loaner cars being available for sale. The wait time for some Model S configurations is reportedly down to about 30 days. Seems obvious that pretty soon all configurations will be available within 30 days. With this kind of turn-around, there doesn't seem much need for a reservation list - my guess is that list size is shrinking rapidly in the US. It will peak overseas probably about a month or two after cars are sold there, too.

And, I think the market will freak out. Many will wonder if demand for Model S is sustainable. People will talk about Leafs and Volts, etc.. People will short the stock again, and even if not, people will take profits. That the reservation list was so big earlier will hurt expectations as investors today look to the reservation list as a cushion for and indication of demand for the car. They think without that list, Tesla won't be able to sell 80 cars a day.

Then after a little while, as deliveries continue strong throughout the year, people will regain confidence and the stock will go back up.

As for the timing, that's hard to say. For the upcoming in 10 days conference call, the reservation list might be big enough from overseas reservations. Then again, US deliveries might have taken the list down quite a bit. So, there could be a hit then, or the hit could come in the Q2 conference call. For those holding Tesla trying to figure when to sell so they can buy back cheaper, I really have no advice. My speculation here is actionable if all you want to do is ADD more Tesla to your portfolio. But, it won't help for timing a peak.

I've test drove MS on Sunday in Philadelphia during the test drive event. The event was staffed with several people and some cars from the NJ Paramus store. I was told that reservations at the NJ Paramus store, which is open 6 days a week, lately average at about 60 cars per month. I was also told that delivery time shown on Tesla Design Studio page will soon increase as European delivery cars will start blending into the production.

If above rate of reservations is seen at other US stores, the rate might be picking up as warm spring months are upon us. The total yearly rate of reservations for all 25 US stores would be 60 * 25 * 12 = 18,000.

There were a lot discussions and modeling done on this Forum indicating strong Q1 results, with the slowing reservation rate as the only possible relatively weak spot. The uncertainty about the rate of reservations was partially based on shrinking delivery times quoted by Tesla (from 5 months during the Q4 2012 CC to currently 3 months given on the Design Studio pages of Tesla Motors site), and partially on a guess work about current reservation rate in which all of us got engaged once Tesla stopped using sequential reservation No's in US.

The shrinking reservation time given by Tesla, however, is not necessarily an indication of lower backlog of reservations. Another possibility is that Tesla stealthily increased production and are now operating at the weekly rate of well above 500 cars a week. If true, it would explain away another question that I had for a while: why Tesla would pre-announce profitable quarter, risking stealing thunder from the official Q1 CC? This seemed to me a smart idea only if there is another, potentially as big or bigger piece of news
which Tesla is planning to reveal during the Q1 call. The increased production as well as increased guidance for total deliveries in 2013 could be just such piece of news, especially when coupled with details on increasing margins and reservation list which does not look as bad as speculated by numerous professional analysts. It could also underscore Tesla's confidence in strong European and later this year Asian reservations.

Such turn of events could have explosive effect on the seemingly slow process of short covering, forcing all remaining holders of short positions to exit immediately.

The calculation below, although mostly based on bits and pieces of information that was made public by Tesla, is not perfect as lack of data required quite o few of assumptions. The assumptions were always made to be conservative regarding the calculation of the current production rate. Due to many assumptions calculation below can not be off course used as a proof of the increased production, but rather shows that this hypothesis is at least plausible.

The data and assumptions made below indicate that Tesla is possibly producing 617 cars a week starting in April. If true this would indicate projected Q2 production/delivery of 8,021 cars, handily beating the 4,500 estimate given by EM. This would be an explosive piece of good news for the Q1 2013 CC.

Link for the calculation is included below. Will try to embed it tomorrow.

imgur: the simple image sharer

Last edited:
@vgrinshpun

I think your logic is sound, and I think it would be just like Tesla to increase production capacity as EU deliveries draw near, to not lose momentum in deliveries in the US unless absolutely unavoidable. Your model also shows why it makes sense to assume that TMC could close all stores and still deliver cars at full throttle for the rest of the year.

What I don't like about your calculations is the way you arrive at the reservations rate. EM has given a ballpark picture of backlog in late Feb, but the reservation rate in your model depends critically on exactly what that figure is. Subtract 5% from that figure, and the reservation rate that comes out of the model drops from 35 to 23 cars per day. And I can assure you that such ballpark figures have much higher uncertainty than +/- 5%!

European demand is easy to calculate, since we still have the old reservation number system. It has been a quite steady rate of 11-12 cars per day (7 days a week). What will happen to that reservation rate when the Model S starts rolling in the streets here is anyone's guess, but it is certainly going to move upward! This increase will be supported by the increasing number of stores.

US demand is the #1 question right now. 2 per store per day seems like a good approach to understanding the potential. It is also very easy to use. The downside of that metric is that it does not say anything about how Tesla is doing in terms of capitalizing on that potential. As smorgasbord pointed out above, waiting times are a poor indicator of reservations, as TM probably have a lot of flexibility now to increase production temporarily to meet demand peaks.

I think the best thing to do would be for the TSLA investors at this forum to put some $ in a pool to hire someone to sit at the factory gates and count the cars rolling out. Knowing delivery rates would help A LOT wrt. knowing reservation rates. (I am only half joking here).

This may be starting to branch off-topic but I'll throw it out for discussion nonetheless ...

Simplifying assumptions:
1. Tesla increases production rate (quietly) but remains below 1000 cars/mo.
2. Model S reservation rate drops to zero
3. Model X reservation rate remains steady
4. No Model S cancellations
5. No Model X cancellations
6. Model X VIN #1 delivery date of 1/1/2014 is announced and met

Given these assumptions, we should be able to predict at what point they no longer need new Model S reservations to keep the product line occupied.

If anybody who's been looking at the numbers feels like throwing out a chart along these lines, I'd love to see it. If not, I may take a crack at it.

I was also told that delivery time shown on Tesla Design Studio page will soon increase as European delivery cars will start blending into the production.

Link for the calculation is included below. Will try to embed it tomorrow.

imgur: the simple image sharer

so does that mean the wait times do not currently include eu cars? that would be great news. please verify.

your model results are badly skewed due to missing cancellations.

so does that mean the wait times do not currently include eu cars? that would be great news. please verify.

your model results are badly skewed due to missing cancellations.

Confirmed. I was told that wait time will increase as compared to the times shown on Design page due to european cars being added to the production. Good news indeed, I am sure to see a couple of tweaks to be done to your model...

Regarding the cancellations, the model does include them. Calculations are based on EM indicating 5 month wait on Feb 20 during the Q4 2012 call, so cancellations up to Feb 20 are accounted for. The wait time between the ordering/puting down deposit and finalizing was reduced to 2 weeks in the second part of March, so cancellation virtually went to zero. So the only period that is not covered is between Feb 20 to the mid-March. Once again cancellation rate was very low as wait time was drammatically decreased in the second half of Q1.

I've test drove MS on Sunday in Philadelphia during the test drive event.

Sorry for the brief tangent... but where and when and how was this test drive event publicized and held? I have been seeking out sources for Philly Tesla events (including the KoP store opening) but thus far my Google-fu has been extremely weak in this regard.

Is there a group somewhere that I just don't know the secret handshake for?

Sorry for the brief tangent... but where and when and how was this test drive event publicized and held? I have been seeking out sources for Philly Tesla events (including the KoP store opening) but thus far my Google-fu has been extremely weak in this regard.

Is there a group somewhere that I just don't know the secret handshake for?

Create an account in Tesla's website. They sent me an email last week about it.