Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla runs into a PLANE while summoned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Title re-write: Someone drives their car into an airplane using the "summon" feature which requires direct visual supervision.

Thats not nearly as much of a "Lets get conversation going!" topic as saying "FSD" though, which is likely why the thread title was chosen the way it was. If I was a mod in this subforum I would change the thread title, but Im not, and thats up to the mod for this subforum. I am less tolerant, though, which is one of the many reasons I dont mod this specific subforum.

I would not even put my bicycle nearby if I am using summon. In my humble opinion, it resembles more like an alpha stage product. Needs lot more testing with many different uses cases and scenarios before it can be used with high degree of confidence.

Remember when that Tesla summoned itself into a trailer while the owner was in a store?
Tesla (while blaming the driver) admitted that the car is limited, cannot see above the bumper and cannot see thin items, like a bicycle or post.
(Course that was in 2016, assuming this car is newer, do some of those limitations still apply???)
download (3).png

Remember when that Tesla summoned itself into a trailer while the owner was in a store?
Tesla (while blaming the driver) admitted that the car is limited, cannot see above the bumper and cannot see thin items, like a bicycle or post.
(Course that was in 2016, assuming this car is newer, do some of those limitations still apply???)
View attachment 796551
I will agree that there has been some improvements - in Dec 2021, I was driving using Autopilot/ FSD through a section of Mojave desert in So Cal and the road had a lot of ups and downs going over smaller hills and in one section the climb was so steep that as it reached the top the camera could NOT see any road ( even I could not see the road as the steep dip downwards was possibly 2-3 feet ahead of the car)- Autopilot (unable to see the road ahead - only the sky was visible) went into action gave loud beeps, red waring on the dash to take control and Autopilot disengaged. Considering the state of maturity of FSD , this was probably the best option for the sw to deal with this situation. As the product matures, I am sure it will be in a better position to handle similar situations.

View attachment 796551

"Summoned Itself" is a pretty weird construct...

Summon code is legacy and primarily uses the ultrasonics. This is why it can't identify many objects. Until it is integrated into the "Full Vision Stack" (like perpendicular parking was added) it will remain pretty much the "crazy blind" driver it is.

Not sure if the owner of the jet sees the "fun trick" in it.:eek:🤣🤣

Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 6.29.26 PM.png