Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Screen (Dangerous)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, I've only had my car 3 weeks but have tried quite a few voice commands and so far they have all worked first time! (except for a couple of searches in Spotify, but I think that was more down to my description and Spotify not finding a decent match).
I can’t even make a phone call to my wife lol, accent is everything I reckon🤣

I find "CARL <insert name of wife>" works well.
Unless your wife is called Carl then it might be a problem.
I’ll give it a go, I’ve changed her name in the phone just to try that but just ended up with other alternatives lol. Her name is Ana, voice recognition has even come back with Hannah Montana 🤦🏼‍♂️ and not found. Maybe it should just stick with what’s actually available in the phone list instead of scouring the internet🤣🤣

Reactions: browellm
I’ll give it a go, I’ve changed her name in the phone just to try that but just ended up with other alternatives lol. Her name is Ana, voice recognition has even come back with Hannah Montana 🤦🏼‍♂️ and not found. Maybe it should just stick with what’s actually available in the phone list instead of scouring the internet🤣🤣

If this doesn't work out to your satisfaction you can alternatively use the voice recognition on your phone. I say "Hey Siri phone xxxx" whilst the phone is sitting on the console charger ... and it makes the call via the car just the same as pressing the steering wheel button and using the car's faltering voice recognition.

Reactions: Xdama and Mrklaw
It’s not the first car to have the speedo to one side and it won’t be the last.

You can control pretty much everything via voice control if you want, which is safer than a lot of alternatives and in reality you really don’t need to fiddle much with things on the screen whilst driving.

You really can't.

"Wipers off"

"Navigating to Microsoft"

"Wipers auto"

"Navigating to Piper's Auto"

Reactions: browellm
Tried to get voice control to play some Zero 7 on Spotify. It tried to play 07 instead.

Tried to get it to call my wife but it can’t understand the surname. Tried just using her first name and it just gives up and launches the phone app.

Tried to get it to switch off the wipers. It tried to switch off wife instead.

Voice control is never great but the Tesla one is piss poor.

because it isn't

Tesla (unlike other brands) publish stats of accidents and their figures show that Tesla is well below average, and more so for accidents when AP is engaged.

OK, a bit subjective ... "average" includes all old knackered cars, and AP-engaged is probably mostly on motorway so not comparable to "average" either. But the figures have shown a gradual improvement over time as more safety features are added OTA (comparing self-with-self does seem reasonable to me, even if comparing against "average" isn't

Recent OTA change has improved the deployment of airbags such that they are less often used. That should result in reduced insurance costs and premium reduction (£1K a piece if they go off)
The accident data Tesla publish isn’t really meaningful as its based off in car telemetry, whereas NHSTA data includes insurance claims, like fender benders.

If you consider that fender benders are the most frequent accidents, and that Tesla don't include fender benders in their stats.... its pretty clear that the safety narrative is using suspect data

That aside, its still relatively cheap to insure. I'm with LV and its only around £50 more than a previous 300hp diesel so I'm happy with that. Never had any issues with LV

The accident data Tesla publish isn’t really meaningful as its based off in car telemetry, whereas NHSTA data includes insurance claims, like fender benders.

If you consider that fender benders are the most frequent accidents, and that Tesla don't include fender benders in their stats.... its pretty clear that the safety narrative is using suspect data

That aside, its still relatively cheap to insure. I'm with LV and its only around £50 more than a previous 300hp diesel so I'm happy with that. Never had any issues with LV
Mine’s well over double my previous BMW 630d but that was on private insurance, PCP whereas the M3 is through my business on lease. That cuts down no of insurers, DL for example wouldn’t even quote.

There are tonnes of posts on insurances and the prices people get such as the example from OP. Fact is these tesla cars are all basically the same model (ish) and any quote you get is based on your circumstances and risk and not the actual car. Every person pays a difference price for the sam3 model car. Therefore high quotes = you are a high(er) risk. Insurance is one of the oldest businesses out there, they don’t get it that wrong too often, it self corrects in the marketplace before too long.

Reactions: roadcred
There are tonnes of posts on insurances and the prices people get such as the example from OP. Fact is these tesla cars are all basically the same model (ish) and any quote you get is based on your circumstances and risk and not the actual car. Every person pays a difference price for the sam3 model car. Therefore high quotes = you are a high(er) risk. Insurance is one of the oldest businesses out there, they don’t get it that wrong too often, it self corrects in the marketplace before too long.
All very true, I’d be interested to know what the individual risk is for me though lol. I drive out of peak hours (on both my quotes), I drive the same mileage, have the same driving licence / history, the only differences are lease & running through business plus car. I still can’t see the group 50 justifications for an M3 at all🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: roadcred
Mine’s well over double my previous BMW 630d but that was on private insurance, PCP whereas the M3 is through my business on lease. That cuts down no of insurers, DL for example wouldn’t even quote.
People don't own cars they PCP or lease but they still insure them. Same is true with a company car. You can take out a personal insurance policy then claim it back from the company as a business expense. If not the keeper the insurers often charge a little more but may still be better than business insurance.

Reactions: Xdama
Back to the thread subject.
I believe the lack of certain knobs or buttons is dangerous. It is stupid not to have essential controls to hand.
1. Glovebox opening
2. Windscreen wipers
3 Radio
4. Climate control
The rest are irrelevant.
If the insurer was blaming this I would agree with him.
Also any controls the passenger needs should be manual.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVMeister