Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Screen (Dangerous)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a lifetime of driving Audi-Merc-BMW i now drive a Tesla. I have never been one for fiddling with cars - I have just seemed to get in them and drive them. I know that i have changed cars without trying all the functions that they come with. (never tried self park etc). My last car (a C-class), I so rarely used the controls in the centre for NAV and RADIO etc that i found myself taking a couple of seconds to 'find them' when they were needed.

The Tesla is similar - if i can see the HVAC says 21 i'm happy. I sometimes move it up or down.. If i can see the speed I'm happy. Typing in a SAT nav address is infinitely easier than most of the German ones that I've had.....

Get in’t kitchen woman, where thee belongs🤫
*aghm* There's a reason why women have smaller feet *aghm*
think-smart.gif

Public service announcement: It‘s actually not against the law to drive barefoot!

It is in the UK should they want to get you under one of our catchalls. My mate got a '7 day wonder' for not being in full control of the car after getting out bare footed in front of a PC. Had they wanted to press charges, they could have, but iirc thought education (and a 'chat over a nice car' - not a Tesla) a better method.

No, my wife is often with me. I am more than happy for my wife to use the screen to control the entertainment or climate whilst I am driving (glovebox is a total non-issue as we never use it). OK, maybe I'm not 100% 'happy' with the other half choosing the entertainment - you got me. But, other than the top right corner where the speed and a few indicators for things like main/dip lights are shown, why do I need to view the screen to drive? If I am reversing then, yes, the cameras are very handy (and probably pops up on top anyway - never tried this), but this is my first car with a reversing camera after almost 50 years of driving, so hardly essential to me (I still keep looking in the side mirrors). In reality, I just know from experience roughly what speed I am driving most of the time and so it is not hard to keep at or below the limit if I cannot see the screen for a few seconds for some reason. I suspect that your common sense and mine might diverge a little here, but if you are unhappy with the Tesla single screen approach then you should of course buy a different brand EV if that will work better for you. Horses for courses.

Also, check your signature as you say this is your second EV but you seem to list four model 3s you have owned, unless I read this wrong?
Yes Ive owned a few. It was our second car which is an EV to which I was referring.

No matter how good - or bad - the user interface is, it's still a good idea to develop habits/skills so as not to take your eyes off the road for any length of time.

As another data point, a neighbor took delivery of his M3P a month after M3LR, so like me never experienced the joys of V10. I mentioned this forum and how much vitriol there was over ver 11. Like me, he also finds the current interface pretty darn good, with minor exceptions.

The point really is that the UI increases cognitive load to do basic functions in order to make recently used apps quicker to find. Increased cognitive load => more danger. It’s increased cognitive load that makes taking phone calls while driving so dangerous.

The point really is that the UI increases cognitive load to do basic functions in order to make recently used apps quicker to find. Increased cognitive load => more danger. It’s increased cognitive load that makes taking phone calls while driving so dangerous.

Thanks for that link. I get it. It took me a while to figure out how to set a destination as a favorite. Still, I got used to it pretty quickly and for the most part find it pretty intuitive. Best stipulated that v10 was better overall, and hopefully Tesla is listening to feedback and will improve the UI going forward.

There's almost nothing that you **have** to immediately adjust irrespective of the traffic conditions.

Put the lights and wipers on auto before setting off and there's a physical button to press if you need to wash or clear the screen in addition to those.

Entertainment, climate, mirrors, steering wheel, nav, glovebox (!) etc. can all wait until either you are stopped or there's less traffic.

The UI isn't the best but everyone just needs to leave it alone if it will take too much attention away from driving. Exactly the same as you would do with any other car's screen or buttons.

There's almost nothing that you **have** to immediately adjust irrespective of the traffic conditions.

Put the lights and wipers on auto before setting off and there's a physical button to press if you need to wash or clear the screen in addition to those.

Entertainment, climate, mirrors, steering wheel, nav, glovebox (!) etc. can all wait until either you are stopped or there's less traffic.

The UI isn't the best but everyone just needs to leave it alone if it will take too much attention away from driving. Exactly the same as you would do with any other car's screen or buttons.
Apart from the demister button. That should be available straight away and not take two taps.

Reactions: Lonewulf45

So drive through fog in daylight with auto lights and tell me that the lights stay on... spoiler alert - they don't, they turn off, which also turns off the fog lights if you managed to get them working as you drove into the fog bank.

Of the cars I've owned I've liked Audi's UI the best. As a complete car though I think that Tesla's beat their Audi EV equivalents.
Thanks that's interesting. I'm not that familiar with Audi UIs. I hated BMW iDrive and find most analogue UIs old hat now. I don't think the current Tesla 3/Y UI is the best designed, but they keep changing it so very much a work in progress. Some features of the S/X UI were better executed, but older tech of course. Overall I'm impressed with Tesla UI in general. I think the approach is the future and they just need to keep on honing the software as they did with the S/X over the years. It certainly improved massively over the 4 years I used it (with the odd temporary backward step, like we are seeing now with the 3/Y).