Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Screen (Dangerous)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks that's interesting. I'm not that familiar with Audi UIs. I hated BMW iDrive and find most analogue UIs old hat now. I don't think the current Tesla 3/Y UI is the best designed, but they keep changing it so very much a work in progress. Some features of the S/X UI were better executed, but older tech of course. Overall I'm impressed with Tesla UI in general. I think the approach is the future and they just need to keep on honing the software as they did with the S/X over the years. It certainly improved massively over the 4 years I used it (with the odd temporary backward step, like we are seeing now with the 3/Y).
Loved the iDrive lol, never had an Audi so can’t comment. I’m not a great fan of the M3/Y interface but I’m getting used to it, it certainly isn’t intuitive from the off. I’ll probably be fully up to speed with it just in time for V12 to change it 🤣🤣

You’ve never been caught in a rain shower? Lucky person. If I don’t put on the demister rear visibility quickly drops to zero.

Of course now I have a Y and rear visibility is not far off zero on a clear day..
Caught in them all the time I live in Yorkshire & drive past Manchester a lot on the way to Barrow. Still never had to put demisters on, on any car.

I’ve never had to put the rear demister on whilst driving in over 30 yrs of driving on 4 continents. Is it really that different a climate around Stockport?🤷🏼‍♂️
I’m new to Tesla and the way that they do things. It seems very similar to Apple. Everyone laughed at them when they removed the disc drive, 3.5mm jack for ear phones and other ‘essential’ bits - I’m not an Apple fanboy. Tesla set out to do things differently/shake stuff up. Thankfully, there are other choices if we don’t like it. Personally, I like the way they do things.

But then once I’ve set the car up to the way that I like it I rarely change anything. The voice commands work well for me.

If the screen was dangerous then I’m sure the news would be jammed packed with Tesla car crashes everywhere. All I occasionally see on the news are one or two idiots crashing using FSD Beta either drunk, asleep or watching a movie on their phone.

Reactions: Xdama
Well in most cars there are wipers… Tesla is ‘special’ like that.

First thing that was recommended to me in 2019 when I complained about the lack of rear wipers was to use the rear heaters. I’m surprised you’ve just coped with not being able to see what’s behind you without trying to remedy it..

Trucks, Vans and Lorries have managed to do without rear demisters for decades. I drove trucks for years. The rear demister and rear wipers never worked on the trailer. Thankfully I had these two rectangles either side of the cab that I could see behind. They worked perfectly fine and for a while I had to use a rag to keep them clear until some jerk invented heated ones.

Well in most cars there are wipers… Tesla is ‘special’ like that.

First thing that was recommended to me in 2019 when I complained about the lack of rear wipers was to use the rear heaters. I’m surprised you’ve just coped with not being able to see what’s behind you without trying to remedy it..
No saloons have rear wipers the only time a car steams up is if the climate control is switched off. Do you rely on the seat heaters for warmth?
I can see out through my rear window fine thx. I use the climate control to control the internal climate😁

I’m new to Tesla and the way that they do things. It seems very similar to Apple. Everyone laughed at them when they removed the disc drive, 3.5mm jack for ear phones and other ‘essential’ bits - I’m not an Apple fanboy. Tesla set out to do things differently/shake stuff up. Thankfully, there are other choices if we don’t like it. Personally, I like the way they do things.

But then once I’ve set the car up to the way that I like it I rarely change anything. The voice commands work well for me.

If the screen was dangerous then I’m sure the news would be jammed packed with Tesla car crashes everywhere. All I occasionally see on the news are one or two idiots crashing using FSD Beta either drunk, asleep or watching a movie on their phone.
Yeah VC is not a realistic option for me lol. I’m like the 2 Scots in the lift …. Just with a Yorkshire accent. I have a hate hate relationship with things VC🤣🤣

Reactions: Undecided_2
I just set the climate to auto, never touched it since and have never had any issues with steaming up, ever.

I’d prefer the fan speed to be lower on the auto setting (I have never liked anything blowing on me in any car) but we just point the airflow away from the seats and as such it’s fine.

I think the fact the car never steams you is because of the fan speed and general air circulation being relatively high. If you turn the climate off, it will steam up very quickly but that’s what you’d expect to happen in a small box with no ventilation.

Those of you that get steaming issues, do you use manual or auto climate?

Reactions: Durzel
you have your climate set to temp and AC ON and you NEVER have to use the demister.

Only if you have AC off or set to internal circulation, you ever might need one.

wth people are doing?
Here in Australia, with humidity near 100% and temps in the 25-35% range what happens with the A/C on is that the outsides of the screens get cold from the A/C and fog over therefore the demister is needed.
Answer the question what people are doing?

There were noises that Tesla had heard the complaints and would fix it in March. Well it's April now..

I hope they've got something good up their sleeve.
If you're referring to the V11 issues (I never experienced V10) then Tesla have clearly made some changes. The point about the demist button disappearing when V11 came out, the demist symbols are now shown below the cabin temperature to guide you to this button. So obviously V11 has moved forward in respect of this specific issue.

Many moons ago I used to drive cars like the original Mini, Renault 5, Renault 14, etc. that did not have AirCon and windows fogging up was always a problem in cold/humid conditions. Then I got a BMW 320i (1986 I think) which had AC and I soon learned that if you leave this on all the time you did not get misted windows ever (except perhaps for the first minute or two when you start the car from cold), the heater and AC worked together to keep the cabin both warm and dry. Ever since then I have always left the AC permanently turn on, I have never turned it off on any of the many cars I have owned since then. Of course, I live in the UK and so this may not apply in other less temperate climates, and yes, I do realise this will affect my MPG and Wh/mile but that is price I am willing to pay for the comfort and convenience.

I sometimes see cars being driven with misted up windows and I know that that model of car has AC, as most do these days, and I just wonder!!!

Many moons ago I used to drive cars like the original Mini, Renault 5, Renault 14, etc. that did not have AirCon and windows fogging up was always a problem in cold/humid conditions. Then I got a BMW 320i (1986 I think) which had AC and I soon learned that if you leave this on all the time you did not get misted windows ever (except perhaps for the first minute or two when you start the car from cold), the heater and AC worked together to keep the cabin both warm and dry. Ever since then I have always left the AC permanently turn on, I have never turned it off on any of the many cars I have owned since then. Of course, I live in the UK and so this may not apply in other less temperate climates, and yes, I do realise this will affect my MPG and Wh/mile but that is price I am willing to pay for the comfort and convenience.

I sometimes see cars being driven with misted up windows and I know that that model of car has AC, as most do these days, and I just wonder!!!
Ahh those were the days🤣🤣, blowers on max, cloth in hand cursing the amount of tme they took to warm up in winter. Open the windows to hopefully cool down in summer😂😂.

I wonder too when I see those cars with steamed up windows …..wtf is actually driving them as I can’t see through the steam🤔🤔.
The difference aircon makes to a modern ICE vehicle is negligible in most cases, certainly less difference than flooring the throttle in a 3cyl bean tin away from the lights. I’m willing to take the slight hit on range in the Tesla for comfort and the safety of being able to see where I’m going😁