Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it is, with simple gearing. So long as it has adequate power, just gear it down, since it needn't drive the wheels as fast, the motor can happily run in it's designed passenger car speed range, and only the final drive gears need be "heavier/sturdier".
Except that with lower gearing you shift the RPM to ground speed ratio which means the operating points don't match between semi and passenger car. Other than slight differences like 60 MPH on semi vs 80 on passenger car.

Along with power limits are the torque/ current limits. Semi needs sufficient gearing to allow starts ehhile fully loaded on a grade with decent acceleration.

Y top speed is 155 for performance version, could cut about that in half for semi, plaid does 200+ so that could get a near 3x torque bump.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
Except that with lower gearing you shift the RPM to ground speed ratio which means the operating points don't match between semi and passenger car. Other than slight differences like 60 MPH on semi vs 80 on passenger car.

Along with power limits are the torque/ current limits. Semi needs sufficient gearing to allow starts ehhile fully loaded on a grade with decent acceleration.

Y top speed is 155 for performance version, could cut about that in half for semi, plaid does 200+ so that could get a near 3x torque bump.
For sure they need to do something about the high speed efficiency for the Semi. Axially arranged rotors should work ok in a 3 to 4 motor truck and be more efficient at highway speed.

As you can see in Munro's Plaid teardown video
the rotor magnets are arranged axially as opposed to diagonally as in 3/Y. Munro didn't pick up on it but I believe that sharing the load between 3 motors is how you avoid pulsing and thus can get away with an axial setup.

Since the highway operating speed of a Semi is closer to its top speed compared to a passenger car, operating RPM will be proportionally closer to max RPM too. That should make it unnecessary to carry over the carbon wrap, unless you expect operating RPM in the high teens and have a margin all the way to 20k. Neither efficient nor reliable.
The regular Tesla motors have rpm limits around 16-18k. Should be more than plenty. Maybe just the Plaid motors without carbon for the Semi?

• Informative
For sure they need to do something about the high speed efficiency for the Semi. Axially arranged rotors should work ok in a 3 to 4 motor truck and be more efficient at highway speed.

As you can see in Munro's Plaid teardown video
the rotor magnets are arranged axially as opposed to diagonally as in 3/Y. Munro didn't pick up on it but I believe that sharing the load between 3 motors is how you avoid pulsing and thus can get away with an axial setup.

Since the highway operating speed of a Semi is closer to its top speed compared to a passenger car, operating RPM will be proportionally closer to max RPM too. That should make it unnecessary to carry over the carbon wrap, unless you expect operating RPM in the high teens and have a margin all the way to 20k. Neither efficient nor reliable.
The regular Tesla motors have rpm limits around 16-18k. Should be more than plenty. Maybe just the Plaid motors without carbon for the Semi?
I think non-Staggered magnets could also be compensated for via waveform shaping. It doesn't seem like three independent motors would cancel ripple, especially since phasing is not guaranteed.

From what I recall the plaid rotor has none to near none material on the outer circumference, the carbon wrap is highly structural.

High speed motor operation can be efficient if the gains from reduced current offset the mechanical losses of the increased movement.

Plaid is also dual rear motors, so torque may be less than a 3/Y performance.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster and Olle
I think non-Staggered magnets could also be compensated for via waveform shaping. It doesn't seem like three independent motors would cancel ripple, especially since phasing is not guaranteed.

From what I recall the plaid rotor has none to near none material on the outer circumference, the carbon wrap is highly structural.

High speed motor operation can be efficient if the gains from reduced current offset the mechanical losses of the increased movement.

Plaid is also dual rear motors, so torque may be less than a 3/Y performance.
  • If you could completely do away with pulsing via waveform shaping, wouldn't they have done it before Plaid? Good point phasing isn't guaranteed but also unlikely that all three are in phase. The single motor will cross phases with the dual motors every number of turns but that the dual motors happen to be in phase with each other at the same time shouldn't be often. Crazy idea btw; couldn't the dual motors have ever so slightly different ratios avoid that they end up in phase for any length of time at high seed?
  • Yes the magnets were at the edge. Could also crimp on a metal sleeve for lower RPM application, or just stay with carbon for inventory flexibility if its not much more cost?
  • Ok, but isn't 20k RPM a lot for such a big motor? Sensitivity to imperfections in balance and air gap. Plaid wouldn't stay in that high RPM for long periods. Thinking minutes for Plaid vs years for Semi.
  • Yes torque may be less than Y but Plaid has taller gearing so not much less.

Last edited:
  • If you could completely do away with pulsing via waveform shaping, wouldn't they have done it before Plaid? Good point phasing isn't guaranteed but also unlikely all three are in phase.
  • Yes the magnets were at the edge. Could also crimp on a metal sleeve for lower RPM application, or just stay with carbon for inventory flexibility of its not much more cost?
  • Ok, but isn't 20k is a lot for such a big motor? Sensitivity to imperfections in balance and air gap.
  • Yes torque may be less than Y but Plaid has taller gearing so not much less.

Good questions.
  • ? May be continuous improvement, may be due to the rotor structure change. Would out phase rear motors produce yaw waggle?
  • A sleeve would act like a shorted turn in the AC magnetic field. Structure needs to be in the wrap or the stacked laminations.
  • Agree, lower speed is probably preferable; but, if it works, it works. I think the main question is the overall power curves and zero RPM torque of the two options. I say two, but for all we know, Cybertruck may do something different (though the extra motor count may be sufficient).
  • Yah. Plaid rear motors only drive one wheel each so peak torque is halfish (power is still crazy high though). This allows steeper gearing to raise top speed. Alternatively, they could use a differently stator winding to reduce back EMF and raise top speed. Looping back to first point, would steeper gearing reduce the impact of torque ripple?

I thought the main benefit of the Plaid motors and carbon wrap was the increased RPM and top speed which is not something necessarily beneficial for a semi. What is the efficiency difference between the Plaid and Model 3 motor?
Elon has said that the higher rpm is a secondary benefit:
Elon Musk
https://twitter.com/elonmusk?ref_sr...97872.ampproject.net/2208051912001/frame.html
@elonmusk
·
Follow
Main advantage of this is a much stronger EM field compared with a rotor that is held together by metal (usually high strength steel). Other advantage is that rotor can go to higher RPM, as carbon sleeve (mostly) stops copper rotor from expanding due to radial acceleration.

<end of Elon quote>

Source:

The interior permanent magnets in most rotors are usually wrapped in steel. Carbon fiber does not reduce the magnetic field strength as much as steel.

How much? I don’t know. I am guessing 1-2% motor efficiency improvement since it is hard to improve much when baseline motors are 90-95% efficient.

Maybe the US DOE will investigate this tech and a release a public report someday. For now, most likely the only people who have hard data work for Tesla, or for competitors that have bought the new S or X for instrumented tests.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Good questions.
  • ? May be continuous improvement, may be due to the rotor structure change.
Sounds plausible
  • Would out phase rear motors produce yaw waggle
Yes, but hopefully not enough to cause problems. If these are the specs for Semi[Plaid]: mass=9[2.5], wheel radius=.50[.35] track/wheelbase=.40[.57], gear ratio 20:1[7.5:1] and for simplicity assume equal mass distribution and total stiffness to road per wheelbase and same motors on the dual motor axle for both vehicles, then the motor induced yaw acceleration is proportional to: gear ratio*track/wheelbase/mass/wheel radius≈1.78[4.89]
So Semi would in that case be 2.7 times better and if you can't even feel it in the Plaid it should be fine. Edit: Trailer force under load could be thought of as halfish since the single motor axle is pulling too. A trailer of 2.7*2 times heavier than the tractor would then be needed to create the same yaw wiggle as a Plaid.
  • A sleeve would act like a shorted turn in the AC magnetic field. Structure needs to be in the wrap or the stacked laminations.
There are non magnetic metal sleeves
  • Agree, lower speed is probably preferable; but, if it works, it works. I think the main question is the overall power curves and zero RPM torque of the two options. I say two, but for all we know, Cybertruck may do something different (though the extra motor count may be sufficient).
Hard to say where the optimum is without having the data. I'd still be surprised if Semi comes near 20k.
Will be fun to revisit this thread once its out.
CyberTruck maybe. Surprising Plaid X has carbon btw.
  • Yah. Plaid rear motors only drive one wheel each so peak torque is halfish (power is still crazy high though). This allows steeper gearing to raise top speed. Alternatively, they could use a differently stator winding to reduce back EMF and raise top speed. Looping back to first point, would steeper gearing reduce the impact of torque ripple?
True, peak torque is halfish in Plaid, under driving conditions. Peak available may be more. I think steeper gearing (I assume that you by this mean lower ratio) would make torque ripple worse. Think of the problem in the limit; If gear ratio is infinitely large, distance travelled per torque wave would be infinitesimally short. This is why a V12 is smoother than a 4 at low speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
Reactions: mongo
Nice analysis on the Tesla Semi from Jason at Engineering Explained. Generally gets the same numbers as we have which is a good sign.

On his cost comparison he is not accounting for the IRA battery and commercial clean vehicle subsidies, so towards the end when he says at $0.50/kWh the Tesla would lose to diesel, bear in mind that’s only for energy costs. He also doesn’t account for differences in maintenance and repair costs or time-value of money discounting, and does not estimate for city driving where the advantages of electric are much stronger vs diesel due to regen braking and faster acceleration. I think his battery energy density estimate is conservative because he’s not looking at 4680s and doesn’t consider any potential mass-saving benefits from making the pack structural.

Lots of healthy and pretty well-informed discussion in the video comment section.

Overall a good summary of the truck and its capabilities from an independent third party.

Fun, similar numbers.
😀

My thoughts:-

1) There is some chance a slightly smaller pack is possible in the 900-950 kWh range rather than 1,000 kWh. The 3 motor set up may improve cruising efficiency, allow a slightly smaller pack to be used. While this is a little thing, it makes a bug difference.

2) The best economics and environmental outcomes come from using solar charging where possible, solar on the warehouse roof,, solar powered mega-charging.

3) The cab might be slightly light weight, The frame provides a lot of structural strength. Tesla may have engineered good crash protection with a light weight cab. Tesla will take every possible opportunity to save weight, with a long time to optimise the design, they may have found some good weight savings.

Last edited:
Reactions: petit_bateau
Does this mean they're only making dual motor trucks not 3 or 4? Or is it that they plan to always have single front motor, and that the rear might be configured for something other than 2 on the future, so only that is specified in the VIN?
Talking semi (not Cyber)
Three motors, one rear axle with two motors (one per side like reveal), one rear axle with one motor and a differential.
Efficiency + power (and torque vectoring).

Does this mean they're only making dual motor trucks not 3 or 4? Or is it that they plan to always have single front motor, and that the rear might be configured for something other than 2 on the future, so only that is specified in the VIN?
I think it just means both rear axles are powered. The VIN itself does not seem to specify the number of motors on any given axle.

Reactions: Olle
Talking semi (not Cyber)
Three motors, one rear axle with two motors (one per side like reveal), one rear axle with one motor and a differential.
Efficiency + power (and torque vectoring).

This is what was announced last August 2022, in this aricle:

Modified specs of the Tesla Semi
Tesla modified some aspects of the prototype. Instead of four electric motors,
the Semi will have three independent motors on the rear axles.
The company promises instant torque and unmatched power at any speed
so drivers can safely merge and keep pace with traffic.

No. Neither plaid nor semi was ever planned to use 4680, that was only in the fevered imagination of some forum members.

No, the semi was never planned on having 4680s, see above.

The 4680 is meant for structural battery packs. Can you even make a semi with a structural battery pack? I don't know, but Tesla is learning how to make structural packs on the Model Y. When they have figured out all the issues, and optimized it a lot, then they'll start working on other platforms, but my bet would be to apply it to a high volume car next, like the Model 3 or Model 2.

I would suggest that one USE of the 4680 is for model-y shaped structural pack, but the expected cost savings of the cell are useful in a much wider set of possible applications. Other vendors are event making 4680 dimension cells outside Tesla use - it doesn't HAVE to be structural - it has the option to do so.

I pretty darn sure they were counting on 4680 for the Cyber Truck, and it was never clear on the Semi but given the size of it's pack the desire for cost savings on cells and assembly is an obvious win.
To extend:
Structural packs can be self supporting which makes packaging a stack of them easier.
This can also be done with high ribs.

Tesla's internal cell lines will be 4680, so it is not unthinkable that they would use those for semi in the future. Could also be semi staus 2170 and other vehicles shift to 4680.