Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service center no loaner Tesla anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh, I am a $60 ride one way from the service center. And I can't get an Uber driver in where I work, would have a 10 mile walk from the gate.

Guess if this happens to me, I will be ubering to an AVIS to get my own rental.

Tesla needs to fix the logistics of their service centers. So they can get small things done while you wait if you had an appointment. Making loaners less needed. The various luxury car brands I have owned in the past offered free loaners even to the lowly IS250 owner (me), but most of the time it wasn't needed because the service was done while I waited. Only a handful of times did they need to keep my car a few days and I needed an actual loaner.

I have tried to just wait for a simple annual service appointment with my Tesla, and they always have come out and told me they weren't actually going to get to my car that day, and would I take a loaner.

Bellevue, WA - On my last service center visit (March) I was not offered an in-house Tesla, but was shuttled to the nearest Enterprise office (a small one), which is only like five minutes away. Once there, they offered any (ICE) car they had there.

Ok finally they got me a loaner today. ‘16 S P90D. It wasn’t easy, it wasn’t an Enterprise, has dealer plates on it. Poor model S, such a nice car, being a loaner it’s well worn. 43K on it, scratches on hood, worse shape than my 100k Toyota. My new model 3 needs battery pack replacement and it may be several weeks until I get it back. So this will do for now, way better than Ubering. Yeah it’s quick.

Ok finally they got me a loaner today. ‘16 S P90D. It wasn’t easy, it wasn’t an Enterprise, has dealer plates on it. Poor model S, such a nice car, being a loaner it’s well worn. 43K on it, scratches on hood, worse shape than my 100k Toyota. My new model 3 needs battery pack replacement and it may be several weeks until I get it back. So this will do for now, way better than Ubering. Yeah it’s quick.
I got a loaner X at the Rockville MD SC a few weeks ago. It was also well worn with 26k miles. I think they are using trade-ins as loaner cars at some locations. I had no complaints though.

I received a nose-cone model S yesterday as a loaner. Same experience as some of you - 50k miles with a lot of wear, but it was better than taking uber or receiving an enterprise car. Based on the looks of the loaners given to the people before me, they were all trade in vehicles with dealer plates.

I wonder what happened to Elon's promise of always getting a Tesla loaner? I had a Model S pre-2015 with the nosecone, 70kw battery. It ran great, but it looked like it had not been washed or interior cleaned for at least a year. If I had needed it on business, I wouldn't have used it to drive a business colleague. It was disgusting and in this case, an ICE loaner from a rental company would have been preferred. Tesla really needs to experience Lexus, BMW, Mercedes or Infiniti customer service for comparison. Not even close.

• Love
Reactions: GreenT
I wonder what happened to Elon's promise of always getting a Tesla loaner? I had a Model S pre-2015 with the nosecone, 70kw battery. It ran great, but it looked like it had not been washed or interior cleaned for at least a year. If I had needed it on business, I wouldn't have used it to drive a business colleague. It was disgusting and in this case, an ICE loaner from a rental company would have been preferred. Tesla really needs to experience Lexus, BMW, Mercedes or Infiniti customer service for comparison. Not even close.

Promises get a bit more flexible when you

-Sell 35K Model 3s with no AP, black paint, aero wheels

-Lose 700 million last quarter.

-Down 3 billion in revenue from Q4 to Q1.

While I could get A4 loaners when my Q5 was in service, I’d rather not drive the Q5 over my X for the rest of the time..

Also, the 35K no option Model 3 owner expects same treatment as the all in P100D X owner.

Something has to give.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
Promises get a bit more flexible when you

-Sell 35K Model 3s with no AP, black paint, aero wheels

-Lose 700 million last quarter.

-Down 3 billion in revenue from Q4 to Q1.

While I could get A4 loaners when my Q5 was in service, I’d rather not drive the Q5 over my X for the rest of the time..

Also, the 35K no option Model 3 owner expects same treatment as the all in P100D X owner.

Something has to give.

Yes, Tesla has lost money, but somehow it is still able to research, develop, test and "eventually" build a pick-up truck, semi and roadster II without selling any of them for at least the next 1-3 years. Perfecting their current line of products and fixing production, customer service and delivery should take a priority over a Semi or Updated Roadster since these will not be high volume sales. Fixing these problems should make it less risky to further design, develop and build the truck, semi and roadster II. Expanding their product line in the early stages of EV adoption is too risky in my opinion. The US is not adopting EV's as quick as Musk is developing new models. I'm a fan of Musk, but what he is doing is too risky which is why I have never invested in Tesla stock.

Yes, those that purchased the $35k option Model 3, should be able to experience at least another Model 3 or Model S when their car is required for service at the service center instead of Mobile Service. I agree with you that loaners should not be a fully optioned Model X.

You're right. Something does have to give and it should be the speed in which Tesla is developing new products. They can't get enough batteries to build their current lineup and with the Model Y coming, it can contribute to production issues. The battery issue is also affecting their PowerWall production.

Just my 2 cents.