Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service/Quality control is still as bad as ever I guess

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you regret the purchase?
Well, I certainly regret not refusing delivery on day one.

Overall I came for FSD (we all know how that one panned out), but ended up liking other parts of the experience over time.
I also had a lot of fun time finding out how the car works and some time enjoying the driving. As such I cannot say I regret the purchase entirely, but I probably would not have bought if I knew back then what I know now.

Well, I certainly regret not refusing delivery on day one.

Overall I came for FSD (we all know how that one panned out), but ended up liking other parts of the experience over time.
I also had a lot of fun time finding out how the car works and some time enjoying the driving. As such I cannot say I regret the purchase entirely, but I probably would not have bought if I knew back then what I know now.
That’s kinda what I’m worried about. Part of me says I messed up forfeit my 2,500 and part of me is very excited.

I’ll be extra critical at delivery. Any advice? What was your main issues you regret not refusing delivery over if I may ask?

Got my windows tinted and now they're all messed up, as are the front doors. What kind of ridiculous engineering does the Model X have that causes such stupid problems? I've never heard of another car that loses its window and door calibrations so easily (if at all). I knew this was a likely result of getting the windows tinted (because the doors are left open for more than 30 minutes - oh, the horror!) because of this forum, so I was mentally prepared. But I'm still flabbergasted that it's even a thing.
Is this really a thing I need to worry about?

That’s kinda what I’m worried about. Part of me says I messed up forfeit my 2,500 and part of me is very excited.

I’ll be extra critical at delivery. Any advice? What was your main issues you regret not refusing delivery over if I may ask?
It's many small things that added up to a big annoyance in the end.
Basically consider it like this: if you see many small problems (and esp if some of them are not so small) right away - chances are it's a QA reject that and more deeper problems would surface over time.

So if you fill up the due list like I did so that you run out of space - that's a sign in itself, I guess.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
What I'm seeing is most of the "issues" are people complaining of either alignment by zooming in 100 times and saying it off by a few millimeters and or rattles/wind noise. Fair enough - for me it has to be fairly noticeable to make a complaint but to lemon law it seems to be totally ridiculous and groundless. I'm fairly tolerant of these sort of things and some of the complaints seem way over the top imo but I guess that's just me. I'ld just say I'ld hate to work with some of the chronic complainers. As far as I can tell Elon took a massive gamble on making cars in America and it seems overly pedantic chronic complainers will more than likely sink tesla. I'm thinking about taking a short position as I am banking on utter morons to complain about model 3 alignment being off a few millimeters as has been seen in a few "review" videos and making out that this is a serious tesla quality issue.
That’s not really a fair statement. I’ve loved our two Teslas and I just placed an order for the Model 3. But there are design issues with Tesla that are just bad decisions that were likely made due to lack of experience in the world of maintaining cars. It casts doubt on the long-term viability of owning a Tesla out of warrant.

The craziest example that has personally affected us was the third row release latch in the Model X. They made a couple bad decisions that have ended up costing them a lot of money and created a ton of inconvenience for many of their customers. It could have been avoided by making simpler, cheaper and more reliable decisions but they chose the more complex and error-prone way. If I have to pay out of pocket several thousands of dollars to replace a whole rear seat in a discontinued fabric because they couldn’t figure out how to engineer a latch that can be replaced with another $1 latch, then that’s just poor design. It does cause concern for the other decisions made in the design of the car that have yet to fail but might potentially over time.

My FWD door jambs also has bare-to-metal wear zones on both sides. How you do design a door that grinds away its own paint? The service center’s prescribed solution is to dab on some touch-up paint and put a quarter-sized pad of paint protection film on the spot. That works for about 2 door closings. Now I have a piece of PPF that is worn white from the door rubbing against it. That’s pretty ridiculous. Hopefully they’re learning from their mistakes but let’s not pretend that they’re not making them. That does nobody any good.

Xminus6: Your experience are exactly why I point out some testing examples at automotive reliability and durability testing and posted automotive reliability and durability testing.

It's weird that thread is mostly crickets though, in light of issues folks have experienced w/their Model S and X after not very long (e.g. Model S door handles, Model S and X half-shafts, drive units and issues w/both the front and FWD of Model X, etc.)

One has to wonder about the odds of a randomly selected Model S or X coming off the line being subjected to such tests, esp. on the drivetrain, leather seats and doors actually passing. And, if it fails, at what point in terms of years of simulated usage.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: valakos
I’ve had about 4-5 minor/moderate issues on my one-week old Model X. As stated many times but repeated here: I’ve been a Tesla owner/supporter since 2013 and, for some crazy reason, don’t mind taking the car into service a few times, especially if they are concerned, clear in communication, and work diligently to fix the issues (and give me a Tesla loaner). But the two things I worry about are: 1) the massive amount of Model 3 owners who will not have as much patience and understanding 2) the sustainability of fixing issues by “changing out a brand new MCU” or “replacing an entire seat.” That sounds expensive.

I really think it’s a testament to how intoxicating the car itself is in terms of features and performance that us early and now not so early owners have endured so much. Yes, first world problems, but we’ve also paid first-world dollars...

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I’ve had about 4-5 minor/moderate issues on my one-week old Model X. As stated many times but repeated here: I’ve been a Tesla owner/supporter since 2013 and, for some crazy reason, don’t mind taking the car into service a few times, especially if they are concerned, clear in communication, and work diligently to fix the issues (and give me a Tesla loaner). But the two things I worry about are: 1) the massive amount of Model 3 owners who will not have as much patience and understanding 2) the sustainability of fixing issues by “changing out a brand new MCU” or “replacing an entire seat.” That sounds expensive.

I really think it’s a testament to how intoxicating the car itself is in terms of features and performance that us early and now not so early owners have endured so much. Yes, first world problems, but we’ve also paid first-world dollars...

It can't last, it won't last, there will be to much volume for this oh we'll fix it on the other end after delivery the SC's will be absolutely crushed. Tesla needs to REALLY step up there QA/QC with the m3 or they won't make it. We're all on the bleeding edge, and rather forgiving because of that, let's not even talk about the AP2 fiasco. However mom and pop m3 users I don't think will be so kind.

I picked mine up last week - its hard to be extra critical, everything looks perfect under the nice white showroom lights - its when you take it home,. drive it around a bit., and a week later notice all the things....

Reactions: NewTMSMan
I wonder why its almost 99% Americans whinging about issues such as panel alignment and wind noise while european , Asian and Australian forums are not reporting them. Even here almost everyone who claims to have a problem is in the USA... I estimate about 50% of teslas are exported yet its mostly Americans whinging here about the quality hmmmm very strange. Either Tesla suddenly ups its quality when they are exporting or we have many whingers in america.... Which is it?

• Disagree
Reactions: outie
I wonder why its almost 99% Americans whinging about issues such as panel alignment and wind noise while european , Asian and Australian forums are not reporting them. Even here almost everyone who claims to have a problem is in the USA... I estimate about 50% of teslas are exported yet its mostly Americans whinging here about the quality hmmmm very strange. Either Tesla suddenly ups its quality when they are exporting or we have many whingers in america.... Which is it?

Hard for me to tell, are you saying Americans are complaining about issues that do not exist; complaining about issues that do exist but that should be ignored; or complaining too frequently about issues that do exist?

Reactions: croman and cwerdna
Driving to SF from LA @ Tejon Ranch SC. Taking 4+ hrs to charge. Called cust supp. Christina said, “well, you’ll just have to wait.”

upload_2017-12-26_13-24-40.png

• Disagree
Reactions: scottf200
For what it’s worth and small sample size but I picked my X up on Saturday. AP has kept me dead centered in the lane, not a single streaming issue, no door issues or panel alignment issues. The only issue I potentially have is there was two bolts left in my phone compartment and have no idea where they are from or if they were maybe holding something in place during transit.

My Model X was delivered the day after Thanksgiving. Went thru detailed delivery checklists, no issues (but didn’t take a test drive - only cosmetic and inventory of accessories). Noticed a couple of rattles coming from the floor of second row left and right passenger sides. Also, when braking or accelerating, a “ball” rolling around from what seemed to be front passenger door or the center console. Key fob died unexpectedly. Luckily, was able to unlock and start via phone. Took it into service as a walk-in. Fixed fob by replacing it - battery replacement would make it work once and then stop until battery was taken ou and put back in. Go figure. Tech took a drive with me and I have an appointment to fix the rattles/rolling noise tomorrow. Hopefully I get it back later in the day! Otherwise, no issues so far.

• Hard for me to tell, are you saying Americans are complaining about issues that do not exist; complaining about issues that do exist but that should be ignored; or complaining too frequently about issues that do exist?
  • well like I said most of the so called issues Americans here are making out as fundamental flaws with the car are 1. wind noise, 2. panel alignment (I would say 20% of what I have seen are legit, the rest are just absolute whingers imo) 3. Creases or specks (Imo 99% of these are ridiculous, I was looking at a post by a guy who demanded his whole seat be replaced due to a crease WTF!!). Ok if the panel alignment is way off, its an issue but without a doubt the vast majority look fine to me until the moron posting zooms in 100 times and points it out. Same goes for wind noise....I suspect these people cannot stand the tought of someone breathing in their car
  • And I ask once again, why is it this only seems to affect buyers in America? And yes the wikipost on this site shows almost 50% of teslas are exported yet all the people whinging that their cars have panel alignment or wind noise issues (which imo the vast majority are just friekin morons who take to the forums as soon as they notice a minor fault) are in the USA???

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: spectrum and outie
And I ask once again, why is it this only seems to affect buyers in America?
Did you know that European Delivery Teslas undergo a custom "fix it up and reassemble" step in Europe (to qualify for some tax breaks I think)? I bet they catch a lot of stuff in there and fix it on the spot too which reduces complaints (but does not totally eliminate. I saw some emanating from Europe).
Similarly in Japan (where they also add the front fender looking cam to satisfy some local regulations and who knows what other adjustments).
I saw some bad reports from HongKong so no idea about Chinese market.
And then the Tesla Store that's supposedly doing some prep before delivery - that also differs from place to place I am sure!

Also consider the sample bias that these forums only get complaints in English, not everybody speaks English, not even in USA! How's your Mandarin or Japanese or some European language skills to read some of those forums?