Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service, what a joke!! Extremely frustrated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm only a month into Tesla ownership, but was under the impression we couldn't change our own tires because of the weight if the battery when attempting to jack it up? And also was under the impression most normal shops wouldn't deal with them because the vehicle weight makes it harder to jack them up? Urban legends???
Also plain old FUD spread by traditional service centers and dealers to scare you off from purchasing Tesla.

What I used to do - and I was in Florida - I would beg for the tow truck drivers cell phone.
He willingly gave it to me knowing it was impossible to reach anyone ... I dealt with Miami.
Sad part for me is that after thousands of threads documenting service horror stories, why prospects still clamor for these cars.
I went back to gas / petrol waiting for the day / decade when Tesla does get its act together.

Sadly, I repeat myself, in the earliest of days ... year 1-3 of Model S, service was INCREDIBLE.

Tesla should be forced to offer service whereever there is sales. Off the pulpit for the 1000 time. Sorry. Well, not I should not be.
I just had a horrible experience with Tesla while waiting to pick up the model y. Their customer service during the purchasing process is horrible.i rarely was able to speak with an advisor.i was supposed to pick up the car today, Sunday. Three hours before I got the final payment option. The numbers were different for the loan and the final payment. My cashier's check was now more than the amount shown on my account. The numbers were the same yesterday. If I could have talked with someone about the difference, I would have went ahead with picking up the car today. Unfortunately you can't speak with anyone. I realized today that if the purchase process is like this,the service center will be the same. They really need to work on their customer service and support. I canceled my order and sent a text to the two advisor's I worked with. The lack of service communication will catch up with Tesla eventually. I don't know when that will happen. EV competition will most likely cause them to change. Right now the demand is to high for Tesla cars. I think they make great cars and are ahead of their competition with batteries and the tech. Eventually a major ev company will catch up

Reactions: HovFTW and GreenT
I just had a horrible experience with Tesla while waiting to pick up the model y. Their customer service during the purchasing process is horrible.i rarely was able to speak with an advisor.i was supposed to pick up the car today, Sunday. Three hours before I got the final payment option. The numbers were different for the loan and the final payment. My cashier's check was now more than the amount shown on my account. The numbers were the same yesterday. If I could have talked with someone about the difference, I would have went ahead with picking up the car today. Unfortunately you can't speak with anyone. I realized today that if the purchase process is like this,the service center will be the same. They really need to work on their customer service and support. I canceled my order and sent a text to the two advisor's I worked with. The lack of service communication will catch up with Tesla eventually. I don't know when that will happen. EV competition will most likely cause them to change. Right now the demand is to high for Tesla cars. I think they make great cars and are ahead of their competition with batteries and the tech. Eventually a major ev company will catch up
Wow, your definition of ‘horrible’ is a lot different than mine…. I would have called that ‘irritating’ at worst. 😏

^^^ I agree. Mjrotor: So, your check was higher than the amount on your account. You would have received a refund.

My purchasing process was SOOOO much nicer and easier than ANY dealership I've purchased from. NO waiting while the salesman walked back and forth with his "manager", as we were negotiating price. No REQUIRED sit-down discussion with the extended warranty guy, the paint protection guy, the "lifetime service" contract guy, etc. etc. EVERY car I purchased took 3-4 hours of pointless waiting, lined up with other buyers, waiting to sit down with the "financial" guy, even though I was paying cash.

My Tesla? No joke. I drove up with my son, we looked it over carefully for 15-20 minutes, and drove away. Yes, I found 2 issues: wheels weren't properly torqued (around 70ft/lbs, should have been 129ft/lbs). One piece of trim is slightly out-of-line. That's it. Detail shop (25 year experience) said the paint was as good as any high-end car.

Had to replace the noisy steering column (electrical vibration when retracting/extending). Done in 3 hours. Drove an S while I waited.

Tesla has a long way to go with regard to customer service. I love the car, however, with my current situation, I cannot recommend them to anyone. Horrible experience you say? I received my car back from service to fix issues that should never have been there in the first place at delivery, with damage not once but twice and with shoddy repairs performed. It goes into a different service center on Wednesday.

Yeah I agree, the complaints always outshine the positive. I have absolutely zero doubt that some service centers are atrocious, but in my short experience (5 months), I’ve only had positive experiences. Granted I’m in an area that is more populated with SCs than most. I just got my car back from an alignment issue that I wasn’t sure I was going to have to pay for or not. It was all free of charge, and also changed the pt sensor (I know it’s a given, but I’m sure some places don’t do it unless asked).
No loaner, but $200 of Uber credit was more than enough!

^^^ I agree. Mjrotor: So, your check was higher than the amount on your account. You would have received a refund.

My purchasing process was SOOOO much nicer and easier than ANY dealership I've purchased from. NO waiting while the salesman walked back and forth with his "manager", as we were negotiating price. No REQUIRED sit-down discussion with the extended warranty guy, the paint protection guy, the "lifetime service" contract guy, etc. etc. EVERY car I purchased took 3-4 hours of pointless waiting, lined up with other buyers, waiting to sit down with the "financial" guy, even though I was paying cash.

My Tesla? No joke. I drove up with my son, we looked it over carefully for 15-20 minutes, and drove away. Yes, I found 2 issues: wheels weren't properly torqued (around 70ft/lbs, should have been 129ft/lbs). One piece of trim is slightly out-of-line. That's it. Detail shop (25 year experience) said the paint was as good as any high-end car.

Had to replace the noisy steering column (electrical vibration when retracting/extending). Done in 3 hours. Drove an S while I waited.
My purchasing process has been total hell. Tesla told me for a month that my car was a few weeks away from delivery and then on Saturday told me that actually, they never actually intend on filling my order. Now I'm being hassled nonstop to upgrade my order to a LR so they can cancel my SR order. No one at Tesla has been helpful in finding a vehicle remotely close to my order config. They've offered me absolutely nothing while I've been flexible on everything but price. I am not willing to pay more just because Tesla refuses to honor my order, and the bait and switch pressure campaign to try and compel me into an overpriced LR order has left a really bitter taste in my mouth.

My purchasing process has been total hell. Tesla told me for a month that my car was a few weeks away from delivery and then on Saturday told me that actually, they never actually intend on filling my order. Now I'm being hassled nonstop to upgrade my order to a LR so they can cancel my SR order. No one at Tesla has been helpful in finding a vehicle remotely close to my order config. They've offered me absolutely nothing while I've been flexible on everything but price. I am not willing to pay more just because Tesla refuses to honor my order, and the bait and switch pressure campaign to try and compel me into an overpriced LR order has left a really bitter taste in my mouth.
I hear you. I am sorry to hear this. I am not surprised based on my experience. The last week before my pickup date was very difficult to deal with. I sent an email to an SA about how much I would owe without a trade in. It took three days of back and forth emails for the SA to finally admit that he was not the right person to get the info from. He directed me to the delivery department. The delivery department said I will call you back in 1/2 hour. He had to talk to the finance department. Well he never called me back. I found out the price by removing the trade in that night. This was two days before pickup. If they had a clue what they were doing ,the original sa would have directed me to finance. These incompetencies led me to cancelling the order three hours before pickup. It makes me wonder about the service centers. I have heard some are good while others are bad. The lack of talking to someone is a huge problem

What I do--- I order from TESLA a new tire and wheel (mounted and balanced/TPMS) roughly 1200 and leave it in vehicle with jack etc. I'm not going to be left stranded. sorry- if you depend on others... you end up disappointed. (this includes family and vehicles)

Reactions: sentinoboca
All this has me freaked out. I just ordered a pair of good year P1 (OEM for model Y LR) at $182 each from Tire Rack. I’ll keep them covered in my garage for when, and if, the time comes. Worst case I’ll just need to buy 2 more if doing a 4 tire replacement down the road.
I’m not waiting 2 weeks for a tire service ticket. My local tire place says they have the capacity to handle my Tesla in a tire emergency.

Last edited:
I picked up one of those air compressor / sealant kits recently. I want options if I'm stuck out in the middle of nowhere or have difficulties with roadside assistance. I hate the fact that there's not a number I can call to immediately get a hold of someone.

I'll still keep roadside assistance as plan A, but if I hit any snags, plan B will be to use the sealant/compressor to get my car to a Discount Tire where it can be properly patched/replaced.
Be careful. That stuff rarely works if it’s not a clean nail/bolt type of hole. I’m looking into modern-spare. It’s $400, but may be worth a ton of headache.

I was able to pick up a never used EZspare (universal) for less than half price on FB marketplace. It comes with proper adapters for lugs and hub, It's basically a full size tire but is narrower and won't take up as much room as a regular Tesla wheel standing up behind back seat on longer trips. For local driving, it's nice to have it even back at home where it can be retrieved in case Tesla service is not timely.

Attachments

• IMG_8338.JPG
    IMG_8338.JPG
    542 KB · Views: 51
I was able to pick up a never used EZspare (universal) for less than half price on FB marketplace. It comes with proper adapters for lugs and hub, It's basically a full size tire but is narrower and won't take up as much room as a regular Tesla wheel standing up behind back seat on longer trips. For local driving, it's nice to have it even back at home where it can be retrieved in case Tesla service is not timely.
Is that an exact fit?

Just so everyone knows, that spare he bought is only rated for 50mph. The ModernSpare is rated for 81mph.

A 50mph spare is a lot better than no spare, but it's a lot less valuable than an 81mph spare. So less than half the price is still too much for me. Do yourself a favor and spend a little extra to get a spare that will get you where you need to go without being rear ended by a semi truck.