Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service, what a joke!! Extremely frustrated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
monteitis: Care to post details about your problems? Just curious.

I'm also thinking when folks have a bad experience, maybe the offending SC should be called out? Isn't that one of the valuable aspects of "social media"? I'm not sure it's fair to generalize about bad service, whether it's Tesla or Ford/GM/Hyundai. If specific SCs have bad reviews here, maybe upper mgmt would step in?
Good idea to call out offending centers. In my case, the SC's customer service was great, but the bodyshop they use and/or their ability to communicate the issues fell majorly short. It was the Agoura Hills, CA SC. The shop they use typically does quality work, so my guess is there's a B-Team in place for the heavy volume of Tesla vehicles. Just a guess.

The problems that weren't fixed were a misaligned fender, paintwork (original issue addressed but new ones created), and a ding on a door.

New problems created were a scratch on the hood, overspray on a fender, dirt & fisheyes & sanding marks (@ primer level) & unfinished polishing/hologramming on the painted panels.

The problems they fixed were a ding on a quarter panel and a door2door color mismatch.

Thanks for digging this up. Any bets on if OP will return or if it was another burner account?

Hi Mark- I am the original poster and no this was not a "burner" account.
I posted this message the same day on both forums (March 12th). The problem was it was my first post on teslamotorsclub so it had to wait for admin approval before it was posted publicly. Maybe you can find out from the admins on this site why it took 11 days for them to "approve it".

Regarding whether the issue is resolved or not, believe it or not, NO, it is STILL not resolved.

I did get a loaner wheel from the dealer a day later, but they did not have the tires in stock for another 5 days, so I waited.
I go in 5 days later to get my wheel back with the new tire and guess what, NO WHEEEL! They said they don't know what happened to it. My guess.. they gave it to somebody else or damaged it somehow (this is the 20" black induction wheel).
Then they cancel both by appointments I created in the app so I can't even msg service anymore. No joke. Cancelled.

A couple days later I finally get a hold of somebody in the service center, and now a new wheel is on order, I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow, but guess what, got updated today that there is STILL NO WHEEL in yet. Appointment pushed back another week to wait for the wheel.

So basically after getting a flat tire, 20 days have gone by and it is still not resolved.
I'm not anti-Tesla, I love the car. I just think the whole fiasco has been completely ridiculous. If it was a $15K Kia, I could call and speak to the service manager immediately. A 50k Tesla, nope. Send a msg on the app and pray somebody responds.

My takeaway is that carrying a spare and the necessary tire changing equipment is mandatory, no matter how much room it takes up.
I picked up one of those air compressor / sealant kits recently. I want options if I'm stuck out in the middle of nowhere or have difficulties with roadside assistance. I hate the fact that there's not a number I can call to immediately get a hold of someone.

I'll still keep roadside assistance as plan A, but if I hit any snags, plan B will be to use the sealant/compressor to get my car to a Discount Tire where it can be properly patched/replaced.

Thanks for responding.

Tires are a bit of a tricky issue. I don't even know if my service center handles tire issues. Tesla buys tires from manufacturers like you would. I have AAA for emergencies and will go to a dedicated tire shop or Costco for anything related to tires. I always buy the certs from America's (Discount) Tire after getting new tires and I've heard that you could get certs on your Tesla's tires. I intend to replace my OEM tires with something else (no foam) so I didn't get the certs.

I think there were options and you may have chose an inefficient one by going through Tesla.

(Pretending to be an psychic and being able to read minds is an internet thing) -- You appear upset (perhaps just venting) and I can sort of empathize with your plight. I've had my share of run-ins with techs and service advisors in the past, but have you heard the proverb "you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar"? In general, I think people try to do right by others, but those being difficult can get pushback.

I posted this message the same day on both forums (March 12th). The problem was it was my first post on teslamotorsclub so it had to wait for admin approval before it was posted publicly. Maybe you can find out from the admins on this site why it took 11 days for them to "approve it".

Regarding whether the issue is resolved or not, believe it or not, NO, it is STILL not resolved.

I did get a loaner wheel from the dealer a day later, but they did not have the tires in stock for another 5 days, so I waited.
I go in 5 days later to get my wheel back with the new tire and guess what, NO WHEEEL! They said they don't know what happened to it. My guess.. they gave it to somebody else or damaged it somehow (this is the 20" black induction wheel).
Then they cancel both by appointments I created in the app so I can't even msg service anymore. No joke. Cancelled.

A couple days later I finally get a hold of somebody in the service center, and now a new wheel is on order, I was supposed to pick it up tomorrow, but guess what, got updated today that there is STILL NO WHEEL in yet. Appointment pushed back another week to wait for the wheel.

So basically after getting a flat tire, 20 days have gone by and it is still not resolved.
I'm not anti-Tesla, I love the car. I just think the whole fiasco has been completely ridiculous. If it was a $15K Kia, I could call and speak to the service manager immediately. A 50k Tesla, nope. Send a msg on the app and pray somebody responds.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
ryanjeffords: I purchased the Tesla pump/sealant kit. Tried to use the pump and it was defective. Emailed Tesla, the sent another one to me within a week.

Probably best to try yours out, make sure Tesla didn't get a bad batch from their supplier. Also, gives you a chance to figure out how it works: separate hoses for sealant and air.

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin
ryanjeffords: I purchased the Tesla pump/sealant kit. Tried to use the pump and it was defective. Emailed Tesla, the sent another one to me within a week.

Probably best to try yours out, make sure Tesla didn't get a bad batch from their supplier. Also, gives you a chance to figure out how it works: separate hoses for sealant and air.

Thanks for posting this. I just ordered and got the same Tesla pump and sealer kit. I am going to test it this weekend.

Is the Tesla pump/sealant kit viable for the model 3/Y? My understanding is the sealant is not viable solution if the tires have the deadening sound foam inside them

Maybe a dumb question, but how do you test it?

When you get your car back you might consider ordering a extra tire from tirerack and just leaving it unmounted in your garage or shed or wherever (somewhere internal not exposed to sun or extreme temps, but not necessarily clean or conditioned).

Then figure out where the best tire shop is near by your home, if it ever happens again you get your vehicle towed to that tire shop, you provide the tire, they mount and balance and life goes on.

If needed make an appointment for the Tesla Service Center to do the alignment until warranty is up and then let the local tire shop do it (assuming it's a high quality shop).

Essentially save your self some time and effort by spending a little effort to get work done outside the Tesla Service process if you can.

Are you referring to Dedham? My experience there has been great every time.

Agreed. I picked my car up in Dedham and have never had a single bad service experience there. They always fix my issues on the first try without any runaround. My only complaint is the lack of loaner vehicles and having to basically hang around the area for 3-4 hours (I live 40 miles away).

I posted this in the Tesla forums, but it seems everybody has moved from there because they are shutting them down. So posting here in case anyone has had a similar experience.

My wife gets a flat tire in Model Y yesterday. No spare obviously.
Roadside assistance is called. Since there is no "Mobile Tire Service" in my area (all of South Florida), tow truck comes.
There is no loaner spare wheels available, and the nail hole is too close to the edge of the sidewall to patch, so my options are:
A) Flatbed to Tesla Service Center
B) Figure it out on my own

I chose A.
So I get a Tesla app message from service at 8:30am next morning.
They tell me the tires are NOT in stock, but new ones are being delivered. Can we have your approval.

"What is the ETA on the new tires?" I ask.

No answer

"Is it the same OEM tire? And when will they be in?" I ask 30 min later.

No answer.

I call local service center. Nobody answers, get directed to voicemail. Leave message.
No return call.

"Hello, anybody there?" I ask in the app 45 min later.

No answer.

I call the service center again, knowing they are open and people are there.
No answer, get voicemail again.

So now I am out of a car and nobody is responding and I don't know what else to do.
This car only has 200 miles on it.

The only other option at this point is to Uber to the service center and find out WTF is going on there.

uc

Well let me tell you, I have been waiting 3 weeks to get my car back from what seemed like simple bumper damage. I would be amazingly happy with just a response at all. I have to GO to the service center and ask what is going on. (I know some people don't have that option) ... and you know what? They still don't have an answer.

It seems like the place is being run by teenagers.

I just don't understand why they don't have a customer service department or someone who freaking answers the phone for their local service centers....or hell a "texting person" who can answer questions and get you information. I just don't get it. Even my insurance company....can't get people on the phone to provide a payment to them.

Isn't it generally recommended not to go to the Tesla service center for tire work? I get the feeling this gets a really low priority there. Miami? You'd likely have better luck with discount tire.
I have been told this as well on a forum when I needed patch work down. I am trying to be cautious as from my experience many small and franchise tire shops do not even carry the proper mounting pucks (I did buy a set for myself)! I just do not want any potential damages to void the warranty. That being said Tesla does charge top dollar for tire work. Do most owner not recommend them due to cost?

My takeaway is that carrying a spare and the necessary tire changing equipment is mandatory, no matter how much room it takes up.
I'm only a month into Tesla ownership, but was under the impression we couldn't change our own tires because of the weight if the battery when attempting to jack it up? And also was under the impression most normal shops wouldn't deal with them because the vehicle weight makes it harder to jack them up? Urban legends???

I'm only a month into Tesla ownership, but was under the impression we couldn't change our own tires because of the weight if the battery when attempting to jack it up? And also was under the impression most normal shops wouldn't deal with them because the vehicle weight makes it harder to jack them up? Urban legends???
Definitely an urban legend. These cars are heavy, but large SUVs are too. Lots of tire shops are perfectly comfortable doing it.

You can rotate the tires yourself if you are comfortable using a floor jack. If you have a Model Y it weighs 4416 lbs so a 2 ton rated floor jack is the minimum capacity jack I would use. It needs to be a low profile floor jack else you are going to need to drive up onto some boards and who needs that.

Tesla recommends rotating every 10km (6250 miles), front to back.

The frame of the Tesla is strong enough that you can lift both the front wheel and the rear wheel on the same side off the ground using just the front lift point.

The lift points are located at 4 points on the frame, there is a hole designating each lift point. Lifting at any other point can damage the battery case and the battery pack.

Lift pads (sometimes called lift pucks) are not required but are probably a good idea when using a floor jack (note: you only need 1 lift pad when using a floor jack.) See ReverseLogic for their low profile lift pad for the Tesla Model 3, Y else see Amazon for a zillion choices.

When the Tesla is parked the only thing holding the vehicle from rolling are the brake calipers applied to the rear wheels only. You need to be parked on a flat surface and should have a set of wheel chocks for the blocking the front wheel from moving.

• Love
Reactions: HovFTW and 73Bruin

This might work for you in future: