Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service, what a joke!! Extremely frustrated.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wish they would rearrange the underfloor storage in the rear to accommodate a space-saver.
There are several ongoing threads about this. The problem is the structural beam across the rear, which is why there are TWO underfloor storage areas.

Tire issues? No auto manufacturer warrants tires. I'd NEVER got to ANY auto dealership to resolve an issue that isn't theirs! Dealerships that stock tires usually have gobs of space, equipment, and techs available for a quick and profitable tire turnaround.

I wonder if this is what the anti-Tesla FUDsters are doing now-- Look up old complaints or threads, create an account on TMC, and re-post.

These complaints generate lots of engagement with the same crowd upvoting and chiming in.

Because the OP said Tesla changed the tire, to a loaner the same day that they contacted them. And they said that they should have had the permeant replacement tire by the next Monday.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I wonder if this is what the anti-Tesla FUDsters are doing now-- Look up old complaints or threads, create an account on TMC, and re-post.

These complaints generate lots of engagement with the same crowd upvoting and chiming in.
While that could be true, it doesn't negate the point - which is that empirically speaking, tesla service could use some serious improvement.

The problem, as I see it, is that currently Tesla has little incentive to build out their service centers. The majority of Tesla’s on the road remain under warranty. That means there is little actual money coming in for repairs while the overhead is high. Related, less than convenient service discourages folks from bringing in their cars for this kind of work.

I suspect you will see a sizable increase, not only in number of centers, but also in word of mouth Service quality as the money flow changes direction.

Again, just my 2 cents.

I have come to accept bad service. I think if tesla could sell these out of a vending machine, they would.
I have not really bought a car... It's more like an Iphone with a steering wheel so not expecting the usual "car dealership service". The faster you come to terms with that the easier it will be for your sanity.

• Funny
Reactions: HovFTW and millerwb
There are several ongoing threads about this. The problem is the structural beam across the rear, which is why there are TWO underfloor storage areas.

Tire issues? No auto manufacturer warrants tires. I'd NEVER got to ANY auto dealership to resolve an issue that isn't theirs! Dealerships that stock tires usually have gobs of space, equipment, and techs available for a quick and profitable tire turnaround.
What I and some of my friends have personally experienced is dealer service managers making up problems to increase their service revenues. not to mention numerous cases of them not fixing the problem right the first time. I haven't owned my Tesla long enough to know if the first is a problem. I assume the second is kind of a universal issue.

• Informative
Reactions: jsight and MP3Mike
73Briun:

Using the term "universal issue" is painting with a very broad brush, especially when it's your assumption.

You say you "personally experienced dealer service managers making up problems", and then state, you don't "know if (it) is a problem."

I'd say it's a VERY serious problem IF IN FACT you personally experienced managers making up problems, and would be grounds to get someone fired. Did you (and "some of your friends") report these incidents? If not, why not?

73Briun:

Using the term "universal issue" is painting with a very broad brush, especially when it's your assumption.

You say you "personally experienced dealer service managers making up problems", and then state, you don't "know if (it) is a problem."

I'd say it's a VERY serious problem IF IN FACT you personally experienced managers making up problems, and would be grounds to get someone fired. Did you (and "some of your friends") report these incidents? If not, why not?

First, I this is a thread about Tesla service being a joke. I haven't had to take my car into a service center, so I have no way to evaluate if Tesla's service centers make up problems to increase their revenue flow. My only Tesla service experience has been with Mobile service which I consider great, albeit its has been very limited in scope.

As for the issue of dishonest dealerships, my experience was as follows: A rattling noise developed in the rear drivers side of my Toyota Camry SE which had less than (I recall) 20,000 miles at the time. I took it in to the dealer for service and the report that I received as the rear strut was shot and that the frame was bent. I received an estimate of close to $1000.00 for the work. I called around and finally a friend who was an engineer and did all of his own car work, including putting on new struts, told me to bring it over. He popped the rear seat out, looked at the top of the strut which was exposed and noted that there was a very large loose nut at the top of the strut. He tightened the nut and but the seat back in. Total time less than 15 minutes. The rattle disappeared and did not reoccur in the over 90,000 miles I owned the car. I assumed that the dealership was honest and went back in and complained to the head of the service department. He didn't appear surprised. His response? "Okay you got us." No apology, no offer of any compensation, nothing. I had purchased 2 cars from that dealership and used them for all of my service. Never went back. I subsequently found out that my experience was not unique at that dealership. My friend had different problems at another Toyota dealership but they involved the guy writing up the problem and the mechanic making up problems that did not solve her car's engine issue. She eventually escalated the issue to Toyota and ended up getting a new engine installed under an extended warranty.

The universal issue I was referring to was not the dishonesty, it was the fact that at least some problems are not fixed correctly the first time. Do you really want examples of that? I can provide them if you need them. They involve multiple dealerships for multiple brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexHung
73Bruin: We all have dealership sagas to tell. This thread is about Tesla service, not your negative experience with a Toyota dealership, or my negative experiences with multiple Honda dealerships in the No. VA region, nor my positive experience with VW/Toyota in Fort Worth.

Your post clearly has NOTHING to do with Tesla service since...you...haven't...had...any!!!!

• Love
Reactions: GreenT
Let’s also not forget that just like everything else, from Apple, to restaurants, to car dealerships, there is a big local components to this. From what I have read, there are clearly company-wide trends with Tesla that are subpar when it comes to customer service. But I think that the location has a lot to do with it. Of course being in the Bay Area, I might not be the best person to speak, but in my short ownership, besides getting a hold of someone (which, admittedly is somewhat of a big one), my service experience has been pretty great with the Fremont location. I have not dealt with the Berkeley service center, which is the closest to my house. I have no doubt though, that there are horrendous service centers, just like I’ve experienced great service at some Applebee’s and awful ones at others...

What I and some of my friends have personally experienced is dealer service managers making up problems to increase their service revenues. not to mention numerous cases of them not fixing the problem right the first time. I haven't owned my Tesla long enough to know if the first is a problem. I assume the second is kind of a universal issue.
Hey Buddy, I agree with your assumption and understand your post. You admittedly don't know if you'll have similar issues with Tesla, but you don't expect Tesla service to be any better than the prior dealership experiences you had - And that's why your post is certainly relevant enough for this casual forum.

Anyway, I took mine for a warranty issue and it was returned with problems not fixed and new ones added. I had similar experiences with Infiniti and Hyundai. So, +1 towards your assumption of that being kind of a universal issue.

Have a good weekend!

Reactions: 73Bruin
monteitis: Care to post details about your problems? Just curious.

I'm also thinking when folks have a bad experience, maybe the offending SC should be called out? Isn't that one of the valuable aspects of "social media"? I'm not sure it's fair to generalize about bad service, whether it's Tesla or Ford/GM/Hyundai. If specific SCs have bad reviews here, maybe upper mgmt would step in?

Reactions: monteitis
Hey Buddy, I agree with your assumption and understand your post. You admittedly don't know if you'll have similar issues with Tesla, but you don't expect Tesla service to be any better than the prior dealership experiences you had - And that's why your post is certainly relevant enough for this casual forum.

Anyway, I took mine for a warranty issue and it was returned with problems not fixed and new ones added. I had similar experiences with Infiniti and Hyundai. So, +1 towards your assumption of that being kind of a universal issue.

Have a good weekend!
Thank you for the validation. Again, my only Tesla experience has been with their Mobile and been great. Did you have a problem with the Torrance SC or another one in Socal?

FWIW, my experience (admittedly anecdotal) has been that totally independent services tend to fix problems right the first time a higher percentage of the time. We currently have a great service place, albeit their expensive, for our remaining ICE car, but they said that Tesla pretty well locks them out of doing service (I don't know any of the particulars or know if this is true). I would expect that we will eventually see independents who focus on servicing EVs.