Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla should redesign the EU chargeport and retrofit!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 2,5 years of delivering Model S here in Europe, Tesla still delivers cars with charge port problems.
In short, there are three common problems:

- The charge port touches the body panel, holding the lid back so it doesn`t open
- The charge port freezes, holding the lid back so it doesn`t open
- Moist on the magnet makes the unlock function fail. The magnet never release the lid, so the lid doesn`t open.

Of course, after a winter or two I`m experienced, and know that pressing the charge port hard so that the magned flexes, and then pushing hard at the hinges of the charge port while pushing remote open (FOB trunk button for three seconds). This makes the door open in most cases. Some people use credit cards, ice scrapes etc.

My father took delivery of his 70D august 2015, and when he came home he couldn`t charge the car as the charge port did not open. He called me, and was able to open the charge port after some guidance.

It`s very strange that Tesla still delivers cars with such a unnecessary flaw. The european charge port should`ve been redesigned early spring 2014 after the first winter showed how terrible the design was. Tesla must know?

Making the charge port reliable and easy to operate must be one of the easiest flaws to fix on this car. Therefore I hope Tesla will swap the charge port on all delivered European cars over time. No rush, but it`s such a small and simple component. And the port probably needs some maintenance over time anyways, as it`s better to swap them after 5-10 years after some wear and tear, than to wait until something fails in such an important but cheap part of the car. Tesla could even swap it for a spring loaded lid that allows the user to open the charge port without remote (just press the charge port in when car unlocked - pops open like an ordinary fuel tank lid. And the electric motor could just be a way to release the spring loaded lid without the user pushing the lid. And the spring would make the lid pop open.

Maybe the US charge port have no issues like the ones we have here in Europe?

After 2,5 years of delivering Model S here in Europe, Tesla still delivers cars with charge port problems.

[...]

Maybe the US charge port have no issues like the ones we have here in Europe?

Yes, the UK ones at least are terrible. Mine only opens itself about 10% of the time, and that's without any freezing weather.

My understanding is that the US ones are completely different and self open and self close.

Yes, the UK ones at least are terrible. Mine only opens itself about 10% of the time, and that's without any freezing weather.

My understanding is that the US ones are completely different and self open and self close.

Only the newer cars delivered since the D unveiling have the self closing charge port. I'm not sure how much difference if any there is between the older US design and the EU one.

have to agree with this 100%

Had to stand in torrential rain the other day trying to get the stupid door to open.
Got absolutely soaked and thoroughly pissed off.

@Tesla - this is basic functionality that should work and it is not the best way to encourage owner enthusiasm by leaving messing about in the rain and other bad weather trying to plug our cars in.
If the US get an auto-opening/closing charge port (which I mistakenly thought I was getting on my car) - why are your EU customers being short changed?

Are all new US Model S's fitted with the new design port? Meaning that no one in the US has issues? Waiting anxiously for the Model 3 so I can jump in to the BEV-bandwagon and hoping it won't have the same mistake in the design.

Are all new US Model S's fitted with the new design port? Meaning that no one in the US has issues? Waiting anxiously for the Model 3 so I can jump in to the BEV-bandwagon and hoping it won't have the same mistake in the design.

While its anybody's guess about Model 3, all the current Model S cars sold in North America and Japan have the same charge port.

All those cars that we're going to summon and that need to recharge enroute will need their doors to open!

Does that mean that the port closes when you remove the cable? Is thegruf mistaken in thinking that it auto-opens (how would it do that?)

They're all meant to self open. Mine is a spring held shut by a magnet which releases.

The new US ones self close. I'm not sure if it closes as soon as you remove the cable. I'd assume you'd press a button on the console or maybe when you drive off.

many EU users have alleviated the issues with the charge port door by applying a modicum of silicon-based spray. while this is not a final solution it reduces the amount of issues quite a bit, as it lubricates the moving parts, isolates from humidity and protects surfaces.

many EU users have alleviated the issues with the charge port door by applying a modicum of silicon-based spray. while this is not a final solution it reduces the amount of issues quite a bit, as it lubricates the moving parts, isolates from humidity and protects surfaces.

er .. not for me. This may work fine until it becomes all sticky and ends up even worse.

I will try to find time to investigate the cause, I already have some thoughts.

They're all meant to self open. Mine is a spring held shut by a magnet which releases.

The new US ones self close. I'm not sure if it closes as soon as you remove the cable. I'd assume you'd press a button on the console or maybe when you drive off.

Shortly after removing the cable (a few seconds), it auto-closes.

If it's any consolation, the Vauxhall Ampera charge port door also notoriously sticks in winter. A bit of WD40 in the latch and hinge sorts it every time.

Sounds like the charge ports may need a warmer/heater/timer built in. I've only had the charge port stick closed once but that was with a cover of clear ice all over the car. The door handles exploding through the ice sheet was also quite a display.

If it's any consolation, the Vauxhall Ampera charge port door also notoriously sticks in winter. A bit of WD40 in the latch and hinge sorts it every time.

I must be lucky then. I've had my 2012 Ampera for 3.5 years now, almost 100.000km behind me and I have zero problems with my charge port.

I do have the 'Service Steering Column Lock' error message appearing once in a while problem, but other than that...

• Disagree
Reactions: Edmond
I`ve experienced frozen/snow covered gas tank lids before, but can probably count on one hand the amount of times I`ve had problems opening the lid on a gasoline car.
The Model S has several design-flaws when it comes to the charge port. Luckily it`s an easy part to replace, easy to do properly and should even be replaced after some time anyways due to wear and tear. Why Tesla hasn`t redesigned such a simple but flawed component is hard to understand.
It`s interesting to see that lots of people agree :) Come on Tesla, do a redesign and retrofit so the charge port is as easy to use as the rest of the car.