Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has now starting to read the 60/80 AHEAD signs as the speed limit sign. That didn't use to be the case. An interesting test case is going through Berridale on the way up to the snowies: coming from 100, limit goes to 60 through town, then back up to 100. Going direction Cooma to Jindabyne when on autopilot, not touching anything TACC reduces the speed to 60, then increases it automatically again to 100 after passing through town. Going the other way, it doesn't go back up to 100 until about 1km after the 100 limit sign on exiting town. Perhaps a discrepancy between map database and signs?

But as of the 36.5.5, it now reads the 60 AHEAD signs as the speed limit, and lowers the TACC speed at that point. The same happens going through Bredbo.

And in Sydney, it still sees the 40 sign on a bus driving ahead of me as a speed limit sign.

Lastly, I can't comprehend for the life in me how the car can possibly ever think it is above a tunnel when it is in a tunnel. The most primitive, simple, trivial test case: any GNSS sats visible (regardless of fix quality)? You're NOT in a tunnel. Conversely, no sats visible at all, you ARE in a tunnel. Would be so simple to do that. Especially when paired with logic that first saw me on the road going into the tunnel... can't magically jump out I'd think

It's on the Pacific Highway probably 15 - 20 Km North of Raymond Terrace, in a 100Kph zone.
I understand that. It seemed you were suggesting that mine set the limit to 80 under similar conditions to you. I was pointing out that a) there are no signs on that part of the road that could have confused it, and b) it has never done in before after travelling the same road over 100 times. Further, (as I mentioned earlier) I have TACC set to +5km/h so if it mistakenly saw an 80km/h sign, it should have set the max speed to 85 and not 80.

Something quite different happened here.

Hi.

Hope this isn't too out of place, but I figured I'd ask here whether anyone knows how to revert to an older iOS app version. On a proper computer, easy-peasy, on iOS, as usual, friggin' near impossible it seems. Damn them!

Specifically I want the old Tesla app back. The new one is missing a few of the main things I used it for - status displayed on the widget; also, speed is no longer displayed on the map. The new widget in particular is useless, often displaying old stale information, e.g. I watch wife drive into driveway, look at widget, it says she's at work and sentry mode is on and this status is as of 0sec ago. Eh, no. Wrong. Sometimes it's half a day old status information despite having used the car in the meantime.

Not to mention the controls are gone from the widget.

Yeah I know Apple neutered widgets but the old app version would still provide its functionality on new iOS (have other older widget which works fine).

I still have an iOS device with the old version on it, in case it's possible to copy from one device to another. (Not likely with stupid iOS right? Sorry, is my frustration coming through?)

Thanks for suggestions!

Cheers, A.

Mine has now starting to read the 60/80 AHEAD signs as the speed limit sign. That didn't use to be the case.

It has actually been like that for quite some time. I am still about 20 builds behind you guys. 88 days since seeing an update and still on 2021.12.25.7. Mine definitely slows down at the 60/80 AHEAD signs. I agree with @doggy1 - its not a bad thing.

No complaints about ahead sign slowdown either. Just an observation, as to me that is new. but it's been a while since I've driven through places where that's a factor in my driving.

The list of annoying things it does is long however. But I only found one consistently dangerous/needlessly imprudent thing it's doing: When driving on NoA and it wants to change lanes, it changes lanes regardless if it ends up sneaking into the blindspot of a car in the adjoining lane. I never noticed that I very actively avoid doing that until the car did it with me in it.

I also just got 2021.36.5.6...

Considering we haven't had any interesting updates in what, a year or more?, it doesn't really matter what dot release we're getting. I don't give a flying eff about disney or yet another streaming platform. Give me useful improvements. Make it stop falsely identifying speed limits on buses, or on side roads, teach the moron machine that if it doesn't see any GNSS satellites and it drove into a tunnel a few seconds ago, it probably still is in a tunnel a few seconds later, and not suddenly on top on a side street doing 80 kph in a 40, and then lower the limit to 40 kph out of the blue. Or perhaps improve the incredibly inaccurate traffic detection where half the surrounding traffic driving perfectly normally in their lanes is shown halfway across the dividing lines. Argh. Frustrating!

I don't give a flying eff about disney or yet another streaming platform. Give me useful improvements. Make it stop falsely identifying speed limits on buses, or on side roads, teach the moron machine that if it doesn't see any GNSS satellites and it drove into a tunnel a few seconds ago, it probably still is in a tunnel a few seconds later, and not suddenly on top on a side street doing 80 kph in a 40, and then lower the limit to 40 kph out of the blue. Or perhaps improve the incredibly inaccurate traffic detection where half the surrounding traffic driving perfectly normally in their lanes is shown halfway across the dividing lines. Argh. Frustrating!
Quite a spray there but I do agree Tesla‘s feature prioritisation and allocation of development effort sometimes seems a bit… mysterious. Yeah, we‘re all hanging out for Enhanced Fart Mode™ 🤦‍♂️

The RMS (NSW) are going to do a trial of GPS Repeaters in some of Sydney’s road tunnels (given the large and growing number of them) primarily for the benefit of first responders to incidents. All mobile carriers implemented AML this year, so that now when someone calls 000 from a mobile phone, your GPS location is automatically transmitted to the emergency services so they know exactly where you are. By introducing GPS repeaters in tunnels, they will also now be able to find you in a tunnel too:

However GPS repeaters required ACMA to change the licensing rules, since a GPS repeater could also be a GPS jammer or a GPS spoofer if configured incorrectly or maliciously. The dangers that could pose to public safety are obvious. So their supply and use will be strictly controlled:

Which is long-winded way of saying… once these things are in tunnels, Tesla should be able to work out from your elevation that you are in the tunnel and not above ground.

393FC6A0-5D6B-41E0-B46B-36D3F9B005FB.jpeg

Is this good mileage? I’ve been getting this quite a lot of ~ 85 wh/km lately on both highways and 60 zone drives. I want to know if this common/good to get this level of mileage or could it be some bug showing wrong consumption.

2021.36.5.6 downloading and installing.

Interestingly enough it looks like there is also a 2021.36.5.8 release.

Both the 5.6 and 5.8 release look to be minor improvements.
2021.36.8 was the update for US only that allowed them to use remote camera viewing through app, this did not roll out elsewhere.
2021.36.5.6 that I got was a really small update, took only 15 min to install and after driving 200+ km since it installed, I have not seen any difference from 2021.36.5.5, so I suspect it is to address some edge case improvement that does not really come up in everyday use or is not obvious or visible.

View attachment 729851

Is this good mileage? I’ve been getting this quite a lot of ~ 85 wh/km lately on both highways and 60 zone drives.
Ridiculously good.
Downhill or tailwind might explain it.

But if it's consistent then something is wrong.

What's your Lifetime Wh/km (if you scroll down on that screen to the two Trip Meters - ideally rename Trip 2 to Lifetime)

The RMS (NSW) are going to do a trial of GPS Repeaters in some of Sydney’s road tunnels
Very interesting. Especially considering the only way to do this is to spoof GNSS. There's no such thing as a GNSS repeater as the very nature of repeating a GNSS signal looks like a multipath error to the receiver - unless the signal is modified to introduce calculated TOA offsets, thus spoofing the system.

Specifically I want the old Tesla app back. The new one is missing a few of the main things I used it for - status displayed on the widget; also, speed is no longer displayed on the map. The new widget in particular is useless, often displaying old stale information, e.g. I watch wife drive into driveway, look at widget, it says she's at work and sentry mode is on and this status is as of 0sec ago. Eh, no. Wrong. Sometimes it's half a day old status information despite having used the car in the meantime.
Yep, old one did work solidly. I love the new app, especially the charge rate adjustment BUT it does appear to have a few bugs.

I can’t use the seat warmers any longer if I use the scheduled departure feature (which I do a lot)

Says it can’t switch on because the climate is off…. But the climate IS on because it was programmed to be on! The app even shows it running!! And yes I walked out and checked if it was 😤

D513A442-E585-4047-B190-0C81943DFC92.jpeg

Specifically I want the old Tesla app back...

I still have an iOS device with the old version on it, in case it's possible to copy from one device to another. (Not likely with stupid iOS right? Sorry, is my frustration coming through?)
In short - this cannot be done. At least not in any simple and acceptable way.

If an iOS device is “jailbroken” then it is possible to downgrade the iOS or individual Apps (if you have older copies) but this is a seriously geeky and dangerous thing to do, as it may either brick the device, render it unusable, or make the entire device insecure. Security on Apple devices is really strong and everything is signed. If just one bit of that gets out of sync with the rest of the device, it (rightfully) thinks there has been an imposter.