Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without internet the cars satnav becomes very basic. It takes like 30 or 40s to route you somewhere and quite a while to find adresses. Voice commands dont work at all.
If the tesla can understand my accent and our place names, I can re-route on route to new locations. So this has not been my experience. It always seems slow to route, but probably not 30 seconds.

Reactions: Hairyman
Voice commands need data. Can't use it underground.
As others have mentioned as would navigation with traffic data.

Personally don't have an issue with it. Connectivity is an ongoing cost for Tesla and they only appear to be pricing as a pass thru.

Would be nice if I could just request an extra SIM from Telstra on our business account (uses the group shared data which is at something like 10TBs) and have Tesla install that for me....for those with their own SIMs then things like checking camera footage from the MobileApp etc. being enabled...OR...pay a bit more per month and these additional features are unlocked...

Reactions: Fazza
Would be nice if I could just request an extra SIM from Telstra on our business account (uses the group shared data which is at something like 10TBs) and have Tesla install that for me....for those with their own SIMs then things like checking camera footage from the MobileApp etc. being enabled...OR...pay a bit more per month and these additional features are unlocked...
Well, the move is understandable from Tesla point, now that their fleet is over 2 mil cars and growing rapidly, they have to think about the future and it will not be sustainable for them to keep absorbing that cost indefinitely for all their cars ever manufactured.
They do have now the option to keep the car connected to WIFI including a hotspot from the phone while driving, so once that data gets cut off after 8 years and possibly telcos start turning off 4G networks, one might have to weigh up weather to pay to upgrade the modem in car if available option and start paying for a data plan or just have your phone running hotspot.

Well, the move is understandable from Tesla point, now that their fleet is over 2 mil cars and growing rapidly, they have to think about the future and it will not be sustainable for them to keep absorbing that cost indefinitely for all their cars ever manufactured.
They do have now the option to keep the car connected to WIFI including a hotspot from the phone while driving, so once that data gets cut off after 8 years and possibly telcos start turning off 4G networks, one might have to weigh up weather to pay to upgrade the modem in car if available option and start paying for a data plan or just have your phone running hotspot.
All very well, but you can't ethically sell a car with for example voice control and then say "oh, by the way, it's only going to work if you pay a subscription".

All very well, but you can't ethically sell a car with for example voice control and then say "oh, by the way, it's only going to work if you pay a subscription".
I wonder if that's pretty much exactly what they are saying. I don't know if it would work if you are on standard connectivity and hotspot your phone. I know it needs internet connection, but does it require the premium connectivity subscription or would it work off a WIFI connection through phone hotspot also? Would be interesting to find out if anyone without premium subscription would be willing to test...

I do understand the problem with requiring connection to internet for functionality such as voice commands is a bit bad design. They try to design the user experience around that and recommend using it instead of finding the buttons on the UI and then when you get used to it and need it while driving and happen to be in an area with limited or no cellular signal (or cell provider doing maintenance on towers), you are left hanging as none of the commands work.

Reactions: Wol747
I totally agree with that video that the light detection on Tesla car cameras is awful. I have given up long ago allowing it to do auto high beams, fortunately my car does not force them every time I use autopilot, however my car does have radar on it and I dont believe Aus has got the vision based software pushed to most cars. Yesterday I had the worse experience with the auto wipers yet. Most of the time the auto wipers work mostly fine if I drive in well lit areas, however as soon as I get to a part of highway with no lights, the auto wipers become totally useless. And in another section of the road when the rain ended the wipers kept going full tilt for at least another 5-6 minutes with no water hitting car. When off highway on smaller roads with no street lights, the car keeps complaining about side cameras being blocked and as soon as I get to area with street lights, the cameras get good again. This just tells me that most camera based systems on Tesla does not work between sunset and sunrise. One would think that after this many years of training the system, they would have figured out that in a year of driving at least half of it is without sunlight and would need to compensate the camera light levels. My old Merc from 2001 had way better auto wipers that worked perfectly in the dark.
Its kind of funny that in some areas Tesla is years ahead of others, yet with some simple things they are couple of decades behind.

I totally agree with that video that the light detection on Tesla car cameras is awful. I have given up long ago allowing it to do auto high beams, fortunately my car does not force them every time I use autopilot, however my car does have radar on it and I dont believe Aus has got the vision based software pushed to most cars. Yesterday I had the worse experience with the auto wipers yet. Most of the time the auto wipers work mostly fine if I drive in well lit areas, however as soon as I get to a part of highway with no lights, the auto wipers become totally useless. And in another section of the road when the rain ended the wipers kept going full tilt for at least another 5-6 minutes with no water hitting car. When off highway on smaller roads with no street lights, the car keeps complaining about side cameras being blocked and as soon as I get to area with street lights, the cameras get good again. This just tells me that most camera based systems on Tesla does not work between sunset and sunrise. One would think that after this many years of training the system, they would have figured out that in a year of driving at least half of it is without sunlight and would need to compensate the camera light levels. My old Merc from 2001 had way better auto wipers that worked perfectly in the dark.
Its kind of funny that in some areas Tesla is years ahead of others, yet with some simple things they are couple of decades behind.

Yep....took a iX and i4 m40 for a drive latest week...raining Melbourne weather and guess what? Wipers are excellent, silient, don't skip across the windscreen and simply just "work".....

Just wait until BMW rolls out their new "car features as a service" business model. They already sell heated steering wheels for EUR30 a month in Germany. "You have 10 break pedal activations remaining in your car-store. Please top up your credit."
Rumour has it they've been charging per blinker activation for years.

Has anyone noticed after 20.6 update, that speed limits not being picked up directly? Especially school zones?
Or dropping down to 40 way after zone is complete and it’s switched back to 60
Was unable to test the lights chime
I wonder how many sec it’s been set by default before it chimes

Has anyone noticed after 20.6 update, that speed limits not being picked up directly? Especially school zones?
I haven't got 20.6 yet, however school zones have always been a random hit or miss with any version for me. Often triggered at incorrect times or not triggered at the correct times. Occasionally the location is off also like few hundred meters before school or after school area and not displayed in the correct school area where it should. I suspect their timezones and map data may not be very accurate at least for areas I drive mostly.

I’m still on 16.3, but with FSD.

The chime happens about a second or so after the light goes green.

The school zones thing has never been terribly accurate. It is better in recent updates, but a long way from perfect. It doesn’t adjust reliably for daylight savings time either, so I think of it as a bit of a reminder, but not the exact truth.