Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ended up waiting until MY finally offered me 14.9 (sat at offering 14.8 for about a week). Installed 14.9 tonight updating from 14.3. Interesting it stated the update would take at least 55mins. First time I have seen it state anything other than the default "about 20mins" - even when it took 40+.

@dronus can definitely confirm the forward steering lines are new (and I like them!)

Did a quick try of the TeslaVision Park Assist in the garage compared to the original. Must say I think I still prefer the original. Will test it out in car parks at work tomorrow.... but I will have to make an effort to use it as it will likely only be a matter of time before Tesla take away the old way AND our use of our USS to be everything by TeslaVision only :(

Pretty late to the party as I only just - finally - got 14.8 a couple of days ago. 1 year old (i.e. non-highland) M3. My impressions so far:
- I tried the TeslaVision parking visualisation and lasted less than two days before switching it off. I guess it's an interesting simulation of what it's like to park when legally blind, but I found the shifting vague grey blobs didn't give any confidence that I could rely on them to avoid hitting things, and were more of a distraction than anything. I'm also not convinced it actually works very well. I had a case where I stopped in front of my driveway gate at night, which it myopically detected as a thin grey blobby line, got out of the car, opened the gate, got back in and drove forward and it though the gate was still there, warning me to STOP as I drove through the grey line where it had been. (I tried to reproduce this the next night but I couldn't because it did the other thing it's been doing since a few updates ago, which is often if I get out of the car and then get back in again soon after, as I do every day to open the gate, I sit back down to find the screen has gone black. I can put it in gear and drive forward, with a black screen, and it takes several seconds before it comes back to life.). Anyway, I found it a relief to get back to old-school visualisation and USS. I do get the forward wheel track lines now though.
- The updates to the visuals are nice - lots more cars, traffic cones and wheelie bins showing, as well as brake lights and indicators. Unfortunately it seems to get the brake lights and indicators constantly wrong. A couple of times it's thought a car in front has been indicating when it hasn't, presumably the LED tail light strobing thing. This morning I was driving in the early morning light and it constantly mistook tail lights for brake lights on the cars in front. Don't get me wrong, machine vision is hard and I'm incredibly impressed with how much stuff it's detecting and tracking around it in real time - but I can't fathom why they'd they turn on a new visualisation if it just reveals that the thing in question just doesn't actually work properly. It undermines confidence and leaves me feeling like we're further away from self driving than I thought. Assuming the intent is to use the brake light and indicator information to inform decision making it's not good if it regularly think cars are signalling or braking when they're not.
- matrix headlights, on the other hand, have exceeded expectations. This is probably the main thing from the update that I was looking forward to and hoping would work well, and so far I'm impressed. Driving down a windy road in the dark it's impressive to see the beam pattern constantly adjusting to notch out the car in front and any oncoming vehicles. As someone who gave up on auto high beams a long time ago I'm feeling optimistic that this is something I can leave on.

No, I really doubt that you have a weird car.
Much more likely that you have a port blocked in your router or the ISP (Optus) is blocking a port.
Or, as others have pointed out, something else strange in your home network.
Still, if you can get around it with your phone then that's something.
yeah im porting over to superloop next week, which is telstra wholesale so it will be interesting to see if that changes anything

A bit cooler here now (13 to 20-23 degrees) but not enough to impact regen I would hope. Might just be my perception of course.
I don't know about NMC batteries, but my LFP battery needs to get up to about 22C for max regen (85kW) (although not completely consistent).

I could definitely feel lighter regen this morning when I drove without preconditioning (I think the battery temp was about 12C). Preconditioning makes a big difference. If I don't precondition, it warms the battery while driving anyway, so I have a theory that preconditioning actually improves range by using grid power rather than battery power for the initial battery heating. I had a fairly high 170 Wh/km during the morning's drive, which dropped back to my normal 140-150 Wh/km this afternoon.

The above may not apply to NMC batteries - if anyone has a scanning dongle/app with NMC batteries it would be interesting to know.

---

2024.20.1 has started to drop, the new features seeming to be an upgrade to the adaptive headlights for curves, and improved aircon for hot weather.

So after going to 14.9 and only a couple of drives I have had three instances of opening door and getting black screen for a good 30 secs and then comes good. Then tonight parked to get the usual Fri night takeaway and came back to the car and it wouldn’t open. Walk away, back again- nothing. Unloaded app and reloaded couple of times… then 30 secs later it opened.

Anyone seen similar?

I might try the two button reboot tonight and see if it behaves better tomorrow.

So after going to 14.9 and only a couple of drives I have had three instances of opening door and getting black screen for a good 30 secs and then comes good. Then tonight parked to get the usual Fri night takeaway and came back to the car and it wouldn’t open. Walk away, back again- nothing. Unloaded app and reloaded couple of times… then 30 secs later it opened.

Anyone seen similar?

I might try the two button reboot tonight and see if it behaves better tomorrow.
I usually do a two button after each update (not sure if it does anything) but this hasn’t happened to me.

Anyone seen similar?

Nothing odd after 14.9 for me. 14.8 had issues, but all fine with 14.9 so far.

Reactions: elddum
i was on exetel previously (part of superloop), no issues with receiving updates
Cool, looking forward to Tuesday.

Regen - agree preconditioning helps, but with my LFP im at 100% every morning anyway so not much regen going on. It does regen some, as i get to work with 98% battery still (20km mostly downhill).
Going back home when its warmer is moot as its back up hill.
Preconditioning is awesome, love getting in the warm car and its ready to go. Ive got a bit of an electric skateboard collection, and they do not like being ridden in the cold (voltage sag). During the day regen feels about the same (juust right).