Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I typically only go to 55 or 60, as daily for me is only 10-15 %, and I work from home a lot and slow charge of solar.
If you don’t need it, don’t charge for it is my motto. There’s a whole bunch of threads on TMC on the subject of battery charging and health, but I am working on the premise the battery likes to sit around 50-55% for optimal life. Of course if you need it, charge to what your circumstances require.
I wonder, how much the calibration can drift if I don't charge my lfp to 100% for a long, long time (like say 6 months). Will it cut me off at 10%🤣🤣

I typically only go to 55 or 60, as daily for me is only 10-15 %, and I work from home a lot and slow charge of solar.
If you don’t need it, don’t charge for it is my motto. There’s a whole bunch of threads on TMC on the subject of battery charging and health, but I am working on the premise the battery likes to sit around 50-55% for optimal life. Of course if you need it, charge to what your circumstances require.
Pretty much what I do, except I go to 65% and seem to operate between 55-65% most days with occasional drop to 50%. I get a bit of mobility training in as I shuffle around the car getting the charging cable in and out as a bonus. I should probably drop down to 60% ceiling.

Reactions: elddum
I wonder, how much the calibration can drift if I don't charge my lfp to 100% for a long, long time (like say 6 months). Will it cut me off at 10%🤣🤣
It probably won't cut you off at 10%, it will grow the buffer that exists below 0%. In other words, the displayed percentage will drop faster until it reads 0%.

A calibrated buffer is 2.6kWh (4%). My buffer recently grew as high as 7.6kWh (13%). This meant I had about 10% less range until the display reads 0%. I only found this out when I got access to CANBUS data after installing a S3XY Commander.

The BMS grows the buffer to prevent exactly what you said: so you don't get cut off at 10% !!! The BMS is basically estimating its own inaccuracy by growing the buffer. I don't know how accurately it's estimating its own inaccuracy though!

Just charge to 100% and leave it sitting at 100% for a couple of hours now and then. It took me three charges to 100% to restore my buffer, but only on the third charge did I let it sit after charging - then the buffer instantly restored to 2.6kWh where it should be. It might have worked the first time if I had let it sit - need to do more research on that.

Noticed this update in the manual regarding the wipers (https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_au/GUID-A5C33F3D-E41D-4671-ADE5-C2FB73203323.html)

"Auto – Model Y detects precipitation and adjusts the wiping speed and intensity. Pressing the wiper button while the wipers are set to Auto temporarily increases the sensitivity of the wipers."
1717562243369.png

It's not giving you a higher rate of Regen to protect the battery due to the low temperature, in my experience it kicks in below 10 degrees Celsius.
I’m getting less regen for sure and I’m finding it inconsistent.
yes it is cooler but I start the morning from an insulated garage with ambient temps around 15C and precondition for a good 15-20min before departing- so that shouldn’t be the cause.

I had previously scoffed at this notion that autopilot can improve without a software version update. But it looks like it has - just drove up and down M80 ring road to the other side of Melbourne and it performed brilliantly - no phantom braking and no sign of B-Double truck induced slowdowns etc. It moves slightly to the right while overtaking trucks, I got only one steering wheel nag for the whole journey!!

Reactions: Jules22 and elddum
Nope. No. Just... No.

There is no left/right coding. The NN stack does whatever it does because of how it was trained using our videos and a bunch of data labellers (humans), subsequent automatic labelling on the vast majority of the training footage, and then some real-life verification done by... drumroll... us. the beta testers in the wild - presumably after their few paid testers took it for a spin around the block.