Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So does yours do that now? I am wondering if this is a FSD feature only?

I got 44.10.1 and I setup the Set Speed to 6% offset, so I am driving in a 60 zone it will be 64, and when I enter a 70 zone I thought that it would accelerate to 74 but it doesn't, it will stay at 64 until I tap the speed limit icon on the screen. Also doesn't go from 74 down to 64 when I enter a 60 zone automatically,
I have not set any speed offset, so I won't know that but without any speed offset the behaviour is as mentioned

I’ve also installed 44.10.1 today, but on Friday and yesterday I drove through the new Northconnex tunnel in Sydney. Its overhead variable signs were set at 80 km/h on both days and my M3 wanted to go at 100. It just did not want to recognise the overhead signs. Anyone else had that, or have I missed a setting?

Speed recognition in Aus is not yet for highways (seemingly anything 80+).
And if you look at the camera feeds they may have difficulty with the digital signs.

Assume that was northbound?
I hit the same issue. Not sure where it comes from as I don't believe any surface roads have 100 limits.

So does yours do that now? I am wondering if this is a FSD feature only?

I got 44.10.1 and I setup the Set Speed to 6% offset, so I am driving in a 60 zone it will be 64, and when I enter a 70 zone I thought that it would accelerate to 74 but it doesn't, it will stay at 64 until I tap the speed limit icon on the screen. Also doesn't go from 74 down to 64 when I enter a 60 zone automatically,

What is really perplexing about this auto speed change thing is sometimes it does work, and sometimes it doesn't. I'd love to understand the logic it uses to apply these auto speed changes.

Reactions: Wol747
Speed recognition in Aus is not yet for highways (seemingly anything 80+).
And if you look at the camera feeds they may have difficulty with the digital signs.

Assume that was northbound?
I hit the same issue. Not sure where it comes from as I don't believe any surface roads have 100 limits.

Is that right? That would explain it. But yes, not sure where the 100 came from unless the speed in the tunnel will eventually be 100. You know, a few weeks to familiarise regular users at 80. I was travelling south both times.

@moa999 @cafz @flatbed @bay74 my blackbox videos neatly illustrate the PWM dimming issues. All electronic speed signs show flickering to a varying degree in this video. This is using the Tesla camera footage:

interestingly, there are information signs flickering as well, but the same looking signs at the harbour tunnel entrance are steady (at timestamp ~3:30)

@Petros I'm encountering the same issue in the northconnex, it thinks the limit is 100 underground. And 60 on the way down (instead of 70). Check this video at ~4:40:

Another repeatable issue I have is at this intersection in North Ryde, I always have to override steering:

You can see the autopilot primary (APP) message stating "Autopilot Rate Saturated" meaning the autosteer correction it wants to apply to follow the markings would exceed the limits. Confirmed this one with Tesla, they're working on it.

Finally there are a few more AP issues documented here (make sure you read the video description):

Amazing stuff!

Just one question. The video you are showing is 8bit yuv420 encoded as h264.

HW3 afaik uses the raw 12 bit rccb sensor data and then applies tone mapping, gamma adjustments, filtering etc before passing the pixel data to the neural nets. Couldn’t they do same fancy filtering of the sensor data to mitigate LED flicker?

Also this presumably will be resolved in HW4

Agree. Unless you know what Tesla is actually processing (eg. It might strip 1in X frames to analyse) you can't see whether the flickering present in the sentry mode actually impacts the speed recognition

Haven't seen any videos from the US of digital signs, but I'm sure they must have them as well.

BTW @ZeeDoktor what are you using to generate that combined vid/data screen

Haven't seen any videos from the US of digital signs, but I'm sure they must have them as well.
Unless it's a local built-up area, nobody in the US pays much attention to speed limits. Authorities know this.

In Missouri they tried this. But because they use actual police instead of revenue cameras to enforce speeding, and the police always hid downstream of the signs, the police had no idea what the sign said at any given moment. They couldn't issue infringements in good conscience. They turned them into optional advisory limits & eventually axed the signs altogether.

The only places in the US where variable speed limits are taken seriously are in adverse weather. Mostly snow-affected states. Not something we typically worry about in Australia.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
I'm no expert in video formats, hence simply assembled the frames to a format that would play "nice" with all the processing I'm doing. @moa999 I'm using the TesLAX app with data logger scripts I wrote fetching CAN bus data with a white wifi panda on every drive. I then wrote a bunch of python scripts to piece together the footage from the cameras and draw the data on top. If there's sufficient interest I can make it all available.

I have no idea how they process the video data internally to get all the object recognition working.

I'm no expert in video formats, hence simply assembled the frames to a format that would play "nice" with all the processing I'm doing. @moa999 I'm using the TesLAX app with data logger scripts I wrote fetching CAN bus data with a white wifi panda on every drive. I then wrote a bunch of python scripts to piece together the footage from the cameras and draw the data on top. If there's sufficient interest I can make it all available.

I have no idea how they process the video data internally to get all the object recognition working.

There is a large misconception that what you get out of sentry cam is equivalent to what AutoPilot sees in the Neural Net. In reality however the HW3 chipset has a dedicated Image Signal Processor that deals with 12 bit sensor data. What this means is that each effective pixel on the CMOS sensor has 16x as many values as what you see in the dash cam videos (8bit). The ISP can then tone map this to expose details in highlights and lowlights and merging into a unified HDR representation. This allows AP to see the road ahead when you are in a tunnel for example and the road ahead is in direct sunlight.

Nice.
Amazed at the number of temperature sensors in the car- 3 in each motor, 4 in the wheels, 5 in cabin/ vents

No speed data out of the Canbus or are you just not choosing to display?

On positional data I've noticed GPS FIX / DGPS FIX and DEAD RECKONING (for tunnels)

Also seems your dual motor mostly drives on the front wheels with the rears only kicking in under heavy acceleration (if I'm reading the motor kW sensor correctly)

Speed is on the tape to the left of the display. Labels there are FSL = fused speed limit (the same number the dash displays) and CC for the cruise control set speed. If it's got a magenta frame around it, it's on autopilot. Type of autopilot is shown left below front screen. On right hand side below front is auto lane change (ALC) status.

And yes, the car drives with front motor only unless power demand exceeds some limit (seems to not always be the same). You've spotted the tyre pressure/temperature as well.