Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car rebooted whilst I was driving the other day, it was a very unsettling experience.
Screen was blank for about 3 minutes before eventually boothing back up and slowley things came back like climate, maps & audio

Is this a common thing to occure?
First I’ve heard. You can to the double button soft reboot of the MCU if you need while driving, although I’d be pulling over to do it.

I’d get it checked by service.

• Helpful
Reactions: paulp
I've had a few of those happen over the last year and a bit. First time was unsettling. I'm always driving with CANserver and TesLAX running, so I have an alternative source for driving information like speed etc. All the critical car systems remain operational though - remember the MCU isn't part of the safety critical infrastructure on board. Autopilot and/or TACC stays engaged even during a reboot. The only vaguely safety related problem with this is that indicators/lights/highbeams/wipers don't react to user input - so you can't indicate when that happens. Haven't tried the hazard lights, I suspect they would work even with the MCU down.

I had a couple of spontaneous reboots occur within hours of each other about a year ago, and that was the only time I reported it back to Tesla. They told me my onboard data cache was really full (spotify and cached maps from driving long distances) and that might have filled the disk. I have no idea whether that was anywhere near the truth or not, except I did drive a lot when that happened.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and dyde
... The only vaguely safety related problem with this is that indicators/lights/highbeams/wipers don't react to user input - so you can't indicate when that happens. Haven't tried the hazard lights, I suspect they would work even with the MCU down.
Actually indicators and light dipping work just fine while the MCU is rebooting. With the indicators you just do not get the audio feedback, but they work fine. If your headlights are on you can raise & dip the high beams as per normal. Easy to test if you want to confirm this.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp and Hairyman
Actually indicators and light dipping work just fine while the MCU is rebooting. With the indicators you just do not get the audio feedback, but they work fine. If your headlights are on you can raise & dip the high beams as per normal. Easy to test if you want to confirm this.
Tried that during the last reboot which caught me exactly as I was exiting the highway and it was night, indicators did not work. CANserver also did not record indicators to be on. Maybe it's just a short window, don't know, I haven't explored in detail. Considering we're in lockdown here at the moment I can go sit in the car for a little bit and do reboot experiments tomorrow. :)

Possibly M3/MS difference?

Still waiting for a software update to do preheating on route to 3rd party DC fast chargers in Australia
Actually, I'd be happy with a button to manually start/stop battery pre-conditioning. At the moment all I can do is to trick the car by navigating to a Tesla Supercharger, but actually stopping at Chargefox - and I want to do that more now that Tesla have increased their per unit charge.