Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of “voice recognition improvements”... is there a way to ask for a specific number when a contact has more than one phone number listed in their card? e.g. “Call Bob’s mobile” or “Call Bob’s office” - except I tried that and it doesn’t work, it gets as far as Bob and you have to manually pick which of Bob’s numbers you want from the screen.

Northconnex always goes to 100km/h automatically when entering on AP. I'm unclear as to under what circumstances AP changes the speed - there are numerous places where it works beautifully, e.g. driving from Cooma to Jindabyne, going through the various changed speed zones from 100's, 80's, 60's, and back up, if you don't touch a thing, it sets the speed both going down and back up. But on highways the speed sign recognition still doesn't work in Oz, which is why it's all the more surprising that it automatically ups the speed to 100 in the Northconnex.

Speaking of “voice recognition improvements”... is there a way to ask for a specific number when a contact has more than one phone number listed in their card? e.g. “Call Bob’s mobile” or “Call Bob’s office” - except I tried that and it doesn’t work, it gets as far as Bob and you have to manually pick which of Bob’s numbers you want from the screen.
you mean ‘cole’ bobs office. I’ve been americanised.

2021.4.18 indeed no longer has ability to manually control high beams while TACC or AP are engaged. This is going suck monkey balls in the country and give us all a bad name. Auto high beams never gets it right when driving uphill in softly undulating landscape at night shining bright lights into an oncoming truck's cabin that's above the horizon long before its head lights are visible.

2021.4.18 indeed no longer has ability to manually control high beams while TACC or AP are engaged. This is going suck monkey balls in the country and give us all a bad name. Auto high beams never gets it right when driving uphill in softly undulating landscape at night shining bright lights into an oncoming truck's cabin that's above the horizon long before its head lights are visible.
Man, that really sucks if that is the case. Why do Tesla keep trying to solve things that aren't problems?? Yet another reason to turn TACC off.

Sheesh...

Elon's minions must be reading our posts! I wrote the first post documenting TACC/AP force auto high beams on just after dropping off my wife after sunset. Went to pick her up and wanted to "impress" her with the latest shenanigans they make us suffer - and demo effect - auto high beams was NOT enforced even though TACC and AP were on! Tried it even on the same stretch of road. Confusing.

Reactions: Hairyman
The software is my biggest disappointment with my Model 3. The developers are either incompetent or at best sloppy. There are so many dumb design decisions and somehow they manage to make the behaviour inconsistent. I developed software for over 20 years and can tell you it takes special talent to make software work inconsistently.

Has anyone had issues with their ultrasonic radars not working after updates? This is the second time, the first time it was solved by letting the car sleep but this time seems to be more persistent? Have logged a ticket but was more just wondering if its just me

EDIT: updated to 2021.4.18
Only once and the whole self-driving suite was out. Settled after a reboot and a sleep.

Has anyone had issues with their ultrasonic radars not working after updates? This is the second time, the first time it was solved by letting the car sleep but this time seems to be more persistent? Have logged a ticket but was more just wondering if its just me

Things often fix themself if you do a steering wheel reser, then once done get out of the car, lock the doors, wait a minute and get back in.

For the last couple of months there was a short section of road in Stanmore (Sydney) where my Model 3 was convinced the speed limit was 30 and would beep at me in indignation that I was driving 20k’s over the speed limit.

I finally realised today why that was happening... there is a 50 sign on the left hand side of the road which has the extremities of a branch of a tree just partially obscuring the first digit on the sign, and Tesla’s software thought the “50” was a “30”! But now the tree has grown just that little bit more, the sign is no longer recognised at all, and I don’t get the beeps.

🤣🤣🤣

Went to pick her up and wanted to "impress" her with the latest shenanigans they make us suffer - and demo effect - auto high beams was NOT enforced even though TACC and AP were on! Tried it even on the same stretch of road. Confusing.

I definitely haven’t seen it and others have said likewise.

Are you 100% certain you observed auto high beams the first time?
The concern here is when incorrect info gets posted to the internet, it quickly gets repeated as fact. This especially seems the case with anything Tesla related!!

Last edited:

The concern here is when incorrect info gets posted to the internet, it quickly gets repeated as fact. This especially seems the case with anything Tesla related!!
ZeeDoktor made a post, and then followed it up with a later with a positive post advising that the initial problem didnt repeat. I have no problem with that.

Reactions: ZeeDoktor
It seems that I can no longer set a start time for scheduled charging. It’s set a midnight and I can’t change that. 😡😡😡😡
Interesting you'd point that out. I had no problems setting a time, but it would ignore that I'd set the function on - it kept wanting to start charging immediately, so eventually just let it go. This is with the .18 update, although I admit that it's the first time I've tried to use it.

Autopilot seems to be making more mistakes. Most notable is picking up wrong speed limits. Went regional driving. It occasionally confuses 80 for 30 with corresponding braking - dangerous and annoying. It has picked up a couple of times the yellow recommended 70 on a bend sign on a 100 road.

Lane keeping seems to be slightly improved, less drifting away from the center of the lane. Is it just me or do you also find the car drifting dangerously close to the middle divider lines on a 100km/h single carriageway (regional roads) when the road bends left? Oncoming traffic behaviour (especially longer trucks, and cars with trailers/campers) tends to cut into the bend so you're drifting into oncoming traffic for these cases.

Also more frequent sudden phantom braking on urban roads (80km/h). Daily route with no prior events so a definitely noticeable change.

Haven't noticed the Auto High Beams being forced. I could turn it off when it was being annoying to other drivers. Oncoming traffic it seems to detect well, but it kept the high beams on when following traffic about 150m behind.

Really hoping for a bug fix.

Last edited:
Interesting you'd point that out. I had no problems setting a time, but it would ignore that I'd set the function on - it kept wanting to start charging immediately, so eventually just let it go. This is with the .18 update, although I admit that it's the first time I've tried to use it.
Yes, even with the .15.12 version I am on, the scheduling of start of charge or departure is much less intuitive. It took me a while to sort it out. It was the way the “set” button was grey or blue that was confusing. I think it is mostly a UX design issue rather than software control problem.

Reactions: Hovean

Yeah, 100% positive auto high beams was enforced on the first test of the night. I was still able to flash the highbeams for signalling, but pushing lever forward resulted in no highbeams and icon with A in it on dash. Second time, worked as per normal. I could go dig in the CAN messages for that drive, but unless this turns into a real headscratcher I'm gonna save myself the effort....

If you want to speed things up and not rely on service, this has resolved ultrasonic issues for others in previous updates. Pretty simple to do.