Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed it yesterday. Now I can't wake the car up from the app. LTE connection is strong in the car so that's not the problem. I tried buttons/brake resetting the car and still no luck.

Has anyone else had this issue?
I just spoke to Tesla Service. They say the problem is actually with Telstra. The way the car wakes up is a kind of "SMS" is sent from the app to the car via LTE to wake it up (I suspect this is the Telstra IoT Network). They said Telstra have been doing some maintenance work over the past couple of days. Tesla are saying it should be fully operational again from tomorrow morning at 7am.

I just spoke to Tesla Service. They say the problem is actually with Telstra. The way the car wakes up is a kind of "SMS" is sent from the app to the car via LTE to wake it up (I suspect this is the Telstra IoT Network). They said Telstra have been doing some maintenance work over the past couple of days. Tesla are saying it should be fully operational again from tomorrow morning at 7am.
Yeah thats not really correct. I’ve worked out today that if I disconnect the car from wifi the app connects Instantly to the car even after going into a deep sleep. It just wont connect when its asleep and the car is wifi connected. Not sure how telstra is responsible for my home wifi? Both my model S are doing exactly the same. I’m sure it will be fine tomorrow though with a nice little push update tonight.

Yeah thats not really correct. I’ve worked out today that if I disconnect the car from wifi the app connects no problem to the car even after going into a deep sleep. It just wont connect when its asleep and wifi connected. Not sure how telstra is responisble for my home wifi? I’m sure it will be fine tomorrow though with a nice little push update.
Telstra also recently support SMS over WiFi - so maybe that's still kinda right (even my Pixel bugs out with WiFi Calling/SMS sometimes on Telstra)? Same observations for not waking up - at home on WiFi, doesn't connect unless I lock/unlock the car.

Informative Thanks. Slight (pedantic) correction though, from something I saw on reddit.
When the car is asleep the LTE connection is actually off to save power, while the phone module remains on to receive SMS messages. Analogous to having mobile data turned off on your phone (to save battery) and still being able to receive a SMS.
...a kind of "SMS" is sent from Tesla Servers to the car to wake the LTE connection. Once the LTE is up, the App can communicate with the car & wake it. At least that is how I understand it.

• Informative
Reactions: Anubis
Informative Thanks. Slight (pedantic) correction though, from something I saw on reddit.
When the car is asleep the LTE connection is actually off to save power, while the phone module remains on to receive SMS messages. Analogous to having mobile data turned off on your phone (to save battery) and still being able to receive a SMS.
...a kind of "SMS" is sent from Tesla Servers to the car to wake the LTE connection. Once the LTE is up, the App can communicate with the car & wake it. At least that is how I understand it.
For a car that never has a wifi connection, there must be a different process of sleep as the LTE would have to be always on, if this is how it works.

Why? The cellular modem sits in paging mode without LTE. Receives a wake SMS, which triggers the rest to wake up so the App can work.
Yes, every 3GPP compliant cellular device has a low-power “idle” mode where it must still be receptive to paging messages from the network. Otherwise it would not be possible to ring a mobile phone at any time, regardless of how recently or long ago it was used, and have it respond.

• Helpful
Reactions: paulp and Flatbat
Here is a more official description of how it works:
The connectivity card has two cellular coax antennae in a single connector that communicates with the Telit 4G modem. Cell connectivity means the rest of the car can be put into asleep mode while the modem sits in a low-power paging mode and wakes all systems when it receives a page from the network (ie, wake or poke SMS).

I'd be interested to know how widespread this issue is. Is there anybody that CAN wake their car remotely? What version are you on?

as written above apparently the way Telsa achieves such low sleep consumption while still having connection to 4g is that it doesnt use 4g data at all. They just get the sim provider to send a text message/poke message so that it can recieve it with low power use haha. Who would have guessed.

Apparently Telstra now sends all texts via 3/4g or smth so it had something to do with that, but it is now fixed.

2020.32.2 just installed on my 2019 Model S, looking like Tesla have tripped the switch for this to go mainstream - release notes match those posted at Teslascope:-

One interesting thing I've not seen before was, I had a separate "Downloading Game Update" progress bar on the software screen in the car, after the 2020.32.2 release had completed it's install.

I don't normally check out the car immediately after a release has installed, so maybe this is the usual, but had not seen it mentioned anywhere, and was wondering if others have seen this in the past. I have seen the navigation update separately, but this is a first time for games.

Reactions: GrimRe